The Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants was established a century ago with the goal to collect and preserve information about early settlement and history of southern Alberta.
Members can meet and connect with other kindred spirits interested in the stories of early Southern Alberta pioneers.
As a Member, you are eligible to:
- Participate in the Society's annual social events and other functions, such as the AGM,
- Receive an electronic copy of the Society's quarterly newsletter and other special notices from the Society,
- Use the SAPD Archives and Library (by appointment), a unique and priceless record of early southern Alberta,
- Participate as a Committee member or a Board member in Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants and the Southern Alberta Pioneers Foundation,
- Share your knowledge and donate photos and other artifacts of historical significance (as determined by our Historical Committee) to the SAPD Archives,
- Members who have been in good standing for more than two years receive a 10% discount from the rental fees of the Southern Alberta Pioneers Memorial Building for functions they will be attending.
Descendant MembersPeople over the age of eighteen, who are descendants of pioneers who resided in Alberta, south of Township 40 (which is just north of Red Deer), prior to December 31, 1890.
Associate MembersA spouse or partner of a Descendant member.
Friend MembersPeople over the age of eighteen who support the goals of the Society and are interested in stories of early southern Alberta. We welcome your stories and perspective!
Applying for Membership
- Print, complete and mail the Membership Form for the category of membership, with the membership fee indicated to:
Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants
3625 4th Street S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2S IY3
- The Membership Forms for each category are:
- Those applying for Descendant Membership must also supply your proof of descendancy using our Family History Form .
This will be reviewed by the Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants Historian and approved by the Board of Directors.
Reseaching your Pioneer Ancestor
While there are many resources for researching family history here are a few that will assist you in completing your application:
- The 1891 Census of Canada (using Northwest Territories as the Province and Alberta as the District Name under Advanced Search Options when searching will narrow the results to Southern Alberta)
- Pioneer Families of Southern Alberta (print copies can be found at the Glenbow Museum Library and the Calgary Public Central Library)
- The fonds and newspaper clippings of the Glenbow Archives and the Local History collection of the Calgary Public Library.
For further information, contact the Membership Secretary.
Descendant Members may
- Submit your Pioneer's family history to the Historian for inclusion in the Archives,
- Have the portrait of your Pioneer ancestor included in the Society's photo register,
- Have an extract of your Pioneer's family history included in a future edition of Family Histories of Southern Alberta,
- List your Pioneer's name and date of arrival in Southern Alberta on the Centennial Gate,
- Subject to availability, a Descendant member's funeral or memorial may be held at the Memorial Building for the current cleaning cost.
Catering, and dish and linen rentals are the responsibility of the member's executor/organizer,
- Meet other Descendant Members whose ancestors may have been friends or neighbours of your ancestors, swap family stories, and share your family stories with other Members.