Pioneer Profiles : D


D'Artigue was a professor at Queen's University at Kingston, Ontario before joining the NWMP, at Fort Macleod in 1882. After leaving the force he ranched in the Ghost River area. He later wrote a book believed to have been called 'Forty Years in Canada'. D'Artigue was born in Southern France.


Daggett, Ernest Austin

Ernest Daggett came west in 1889 to the J.J. Van Wart Ranch. He was born in New Brunswick and died in 1936 at Okotoks. In 1899 he married Alberta Watt, who was also from New Brunswick, she was born in 1871 and died in 1957 in N.B. They had one daughter Mary, (Mrs. Thomas Wilde). In 1893 Ernest was employed as an accountant at the John Lineham Lumber Mills. He homesteaded in the Blackie area, and later ranched at Millarville eventually moving to Okotoks..


Daines Robert E. & Sarah Hymas

Robert Daines was born in England and immigrated to Hyde Park, Utah. As a bishop in Utah, he married Sarah Hymas, widow of Ormus E. Bates, Sr. With her two previous children and their own two children (Annie, Mrs. C.E. Snow and Orson A.) the Daines immigrated to Cardston in 1887. Initially, they stayed at the Cochrane Ranch, near Cardston, where Mrs. Daines cooked for the hay crew. In March of 1888, Robert seeded his first crop on his own homestead which now lies within the present site of Cardston. However due to ill health he moved his family back to Utah. He died there in 1892 and after his death Sarah returned to Cardston with her children where she was active in the community and church. She died on November 27, 1929.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Chief Mountain Country, Vol. 2.

Daley, James

James Daley was born in 1851 in Ireland and died at Granum in 1927. At Fort Macleod in 1888 he married Mary Selves, who was born in 1869 at Mitchell, Ontario and died at Granum in 1950. James served in the NWMP from 1874-1880, then entered into a partnership with C. Whitney using the X brand. The partnership was dissolved, so he added a bar at that time to form a campstool brand. Daley Creek is named after him. The ranch is now operated by his son Wallace and son-in-law E. Mohr. The Daley's had two children; W. Stanley and Henrietta L. (Mrs. Byers).


Dalgleish, Adam

Adam Dalgleish came to Calgary on November 1883 and has his name inscribed on the Memory's Roll of the Southern Alberta Pioneers.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files and Calgary Herald, November 18, 1933.

Dalzell, John

John Dalzell was born in Stratford, Ontario in 1866 and came to the DeWinton area to homestead in 1886. He married Sarah Jamison in 1886 and they five children. John died in 1925.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.

Damon, William Nathanial

William Damon came to Fort Macleod in 1882, he worked at various ranches including the Waldron. He was born in Michigan, U.S.A. in 1857 and died at Fort Maceod in 1936. In 1905 at Calgary he married Alice J.Coffey, she died at Fort Macleod in 1925. They had no children, however he raised a niece, Fern McFarquhar. William joined the Department of Indian Affairs, stationed at the Blackfoot Reserve. Later he returned to Fort Macleod where he raised Clydesdale horses.


Dans, D. W.

Mr. D. Dans is recorded as a pioneer in the 1885 Calgary City Directory.

2004 Addendum.

Darch, A.J.

A.J. Darch arrived in Macleod in 1885. Mrs. Darch (Emma Ashdown), followed in 1886. They lived in Macleod a short time, then moved to Lethbridge, where he built the first house on the corner of 8th Street and 3rd Avenue. Mr. Darch was the cashier for the North West Coal and Navigation Company.


Dashwood, Jack

Jack Dashwood, a prospective buyer for MacMillan's Stopping House, managed to win enough while playing cards there with some riders and teamsters to pay for the establishment with cash. Within a few months he was broke and although he devised a scheme to earn money with a show he dubbed "Gopher Jack", it soon lost it's appeal and he ended up cooking for the Bar S Ranch.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 435.

David, Shannon

Shannon David settled on the NE 1/4 of Sec32-32-1-W5M in 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Olds First.


Mr. Davidson was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1876?.

2004 Addendum.

Davidson, A. A.

Mr. A. Davidson was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1888.

2004 Addendum.

Davidson, C. N.

Mr. C. N. Davidson was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885. He was a partner in a store located opposite the Post Office on Stephen Ave., McIntyre & Davidson who were merchants of watches, clocks, jewelry and silverware.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources, 1885.

Davidson, Hugh & Cara

Hugh Davidson was a graduate of Sandhurst Military College in England, served in India, and then came to Canada in 1876. He joined the NWMP and was posted the same year to Fort Macleod. Around that time he married Cara Craddock from Eastern Canada. In 1897 he was posted to Pincher Creek, fought overseas in the Boer War and on his return he was posted back in Pincher Creek. In 1904 he was posted to Maple Creek, Sask. where he retired with he and his wife moving to Victoria BC.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 34..

Davidson, Reverend

Rev. Davidson was the first Minister at a Presbyterian Medicine Hat Church built in 1884.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country.

Davie, J.S.

Mr. Davie came to Banff in 1889. He was an Inspector for Canada Life Investigation Department.


Davies, Hy (Harry)

Hy Davies was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.

2004 Addendum.

Davies, Joshua Sr. & Susan

Mr. Davies was born 1858 in Wales and came to Ontario in 1879. He arrived in Alberta with a railway survey crew in 1881 and came to Lethbridge in 1883. He was a surveyor for the North West coal and Navigation Company. In 1884 he married Susan Yunker at Irvine, Alberta. He initially squatted and worked for the Sheran coal mine in the Lethbridge area. Later he owned and farmed thirteen hundred acres of land, across the river from the Lethbridge power house and eventually had a cattle herd of 400 head and 200 horses which he grazed from Nobleford in the north and Milk River to the south. Mr. and Mrs. Davies had four sons and seven daughters. Joshua died in 1920 and Susan died in 1951.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: The Bend-West Lethbridge.

Davis, Daniel (Peaches)

Daniel Davis came with the NWMP in 1876. He was born at Southhampton, England in 1857 and died at Calgary in 1937. 'Peaches' served with the NWMP in many parts of the west. In 1882 he escorted a large band of Indians single handed from Fort Walsh to Battleford and then during the Rebellion served with Crozier at Battleford and at different periods with Troops B, C and D. His wife survived him and resided in Calgary.


Davis, Donald Watson

Donald Davis who came to Southern Alberta in 1874 was born at Londonderry, Vermont, U.S.A., in 1845 and died at Dawson City, Yukon Territory in 1906. He was married twice, first to a sister of Chief Red Crow who bore five children and then in 1863 at Fort Macleod he married Lillie E.J. Frier, who was born at Wiarton, Ontario in 1888 and died at Fort Macleod in 1835. Donald and Lillie had six children. Mr. Watson came to Fort Macleod as the manager for I.G. Baker. He formed a partnership with Frank Strong in the Strong Ranch, east of Fort Macleod raising horses. In 1887 he was elected the first member of the Legislature for Alberta.


Davis, Edward P. and Adella Louise

Mr. and Mrs. Davis came to Calgary in 1888. Edward was born in Ontario in 1860 and died at Vancouver, B.C., in 1940. He was a lawyer and later Kings Council. He was the prosecutor at the murder trial of Jumbo Fisk in 1889 and also Returning Officer in the Municipal elections in 1887. They had a family of two sons and one daughter.


Davis, Jeff

Jeff Davis came to Fort Macleod in 1874. He was said to have driven the first load of freight in Red River wagons from Winnipeg to Fort Macleod. He remained a freighter and coach driver. Later with Neil McKeague he operated a livery barn called the 'Alberta Stables'. Jeff was born on the Isle of Man and died at Fort Macleod. His wife was born at London, England and died at Fort Macleod. They had three children in their family.


Davis, John Rogers & Alice Maria

John Rogers Davis born in 1862 at Hoyleton, Illinois and his brother Samuel Hopkins Davis, born in 1859 and schooled in Kentucky, both went trapping in "Indian Country", cowboyed in South Dakota, Mexico, Colorado, and Montana. They freighted from Fort Benton to Fort Macleod in 1882 and moved to Lethbridge about 1884 and homesteaded north of the town. John freighted for a few years and came to Southern Alberta with the last two string bull teams and then turned to horse ranching acquiring a 2000 acre lease on coal company land. In 1890, John married Alice Maria Perry, daughter of James Perry and they had 3 children (Alice Amelia, Samuel Scott, John Rogers). He lost his eyesight in 1897. They built a store in Coalhurst. John was a member of North Star No. 4 Lethbridge, Masonic Lodge in 1889. He died in November 1907 and Alice died in May 1956.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: The Bend-West Lethbridge. Additional research by JFR.

Davis, Samuel Hopkins

Samuel Hopkins Davis, born in 1859 and schooled in Kentucky with his brother John after trapping in "Indian Country", Cowboying in S. Dakota, Mexico, Colorado, and Montana, Freighted from Fort Benton to Fort Macleod in 1882 and moved to Lethbridge about 1884. Sam an entrepreneur, set up a livery stable and livery business. In 1889, he married Mary Frances (Fanny) Tancred Thornton and they had 6 children (Amelia Rogers, John Tancrea, Eileen Mary, James Scott, Hazel Hamlin and one unknown). They moved to South Africa when the Boer War started where he became a successful businessman.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Bend-West Lethbridge. Additional research by JFR.

Davis, Sergeant

Sergeant Davis came with the NWMP in 1874 and was well known in the Lethbridge area.


Davis, William

William Davis came to Lethbridge in 1889 with two sons and one daughter, his wife followed in 1890 with the rest of the family of five children. They bought a few acres north of the town where they kept a cow and saddle horses. The men obtained work at the Galt mines and later they homesteaded west of Carmangay. William was born in Wales in 1836 and died at Carmangay in 1909. He married Jan Vandersluys in 1864 in England. She was born there in 1842 and died in 1907.


Daw, Francis (Frank)

Frank Daw came to Canada with the Sir John Lister Kay party and worked for the Namaka farm, west of the Blackfoot Reserve in 1888. In 1891 he was a C.P.R. fireman and later worked at lumber mills and camps. He homesteaded and farmed successfully until 1944. He was married three times; Annie Jepson in 1892, Fannie Jepson in 1903 and Emily Till in 1942. His only son Francis J. was killed in action in 1918.


Dawson, Charles Edgar

Charles and Annie Dawson homesteaded in the Porcupine Hills and made a living in market gardening. They came to Lethbridge in 1885. Charles died in 1909. He married Annie Greenham at Cambridge, England, she was born in 1841 and died in 1908 at Willow Creek ranch. They had five children; Harry S.; Ethel; Charles E.; Edgar H.; and Ruth Marion.


Dawson, Edgar H.

Mr. Dawson came to Lethbridge in 1886. He was born in 1872 and died in 1923. Edgar, a rancher, lived in Lethbridge for nearly forty years. There were three sons, Frank, Charlie and Jack and one daughter Grace.


Dawson, Captain Edward D.L.S.

Edward Dawson came to Queenstown in 1888. An early surveyor, he returned to England and formed the Canadian Colonization Corporation. He rented sixteen sections of land at Queenstown and built the first house there. The venture ran into misfortune, a prairie fire and then an epidemic of Glanders amongst the horses. He was born at Yorkshire, England in 1837 and died at Edmonton in 1901. He married Louisa Vann in 1867 in England, she died in 1926. They had one daughter, Dora Vivian.


Dawson, James

James Dawson came to Fort Walsh in 1882 with the NWMP. He was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1857 and died in 1937. He was married in 1902 at Red Deer to Mary Mouncey, who was born at Roseneath, Ontario in 1856 and died at Red Deer in 1952. Dawson enlisted in 1882 and was stationed at various points prior to going to Red Deer Crossing in 1889. He was discharged in 1897 and in 1902 filed for a homestead near Penhold. James and Mary moved to Red Deer in 1923.


Dawson, William Henry

William Dawson came to Fort Macleod in 1885 where he worked as a cook.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Deacon, James A.

James Deacon was recorded as a member of the Calgary Masonic Lodge Bow River No. 1 in 1889.

2004 Addendum.

Deane, Captain Richard Burton

Captain Deane was commissioned in the Royal Marine Light Infantry in 1866. He served during the Ashanti war and retired in 1882. He came to Canada and became Inspector with the NWMP at Regina in 1883. He was at Lethbridge from 1888 until 1902, at Calgary from 1906 to 1914. He retired when Fort Calgary was closed in 1914. Deane was born in 1848 in India and died in 1930 in Italy. He was married twice, his first wife was Martha Crotchen Ridout, and his second marriage was to M. Dennehy, who was born in 1863 and died at Calgary in 1914. He had four children.


Deane-Freeman, Joseph

Mr. Deane-Freeman, came to Millarville in 1886. He was born at County Cork, Ireland in 1854. In 1875 he married Elizabeth Anna LeBagge, who was born in Ireland in 1847 and died at Salmon Arm, BC in 1913. Joseph served briefly at sea on a Windjammer, later filing for a homestead on the North Fork of Sheep Creek. In 1887 he was joined by his wife, children and a nursemaid. The family lived in tents until their home was built. They had seven children. Anglican Church services were held in their home at the Monea Ranch until Christ Church at Millarville was built. Joseph died in 1936 at Vancouver, BC.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 388.

Deans, John Gardner

John Deans trailed cattle for Geddes, who had taken advantage of the - James D. Federal Leasing Regulations. He was a wrangler and his wife, Mary was the wrangler cook. The caravans arrived in October 1879. Deans was born in Scotland in 1852 and died at Olds in 1916. He married Mary Anna Mier, who was born in Bruce County, Ontario in 1860 and died at Olds in 1938. There were eight children in their family. Mr. Deans established the Alberta Laundry and had one of the first milk routes in Calgary, Four years later he homesteaded on Fish Creek and cut his hay from Chestermere Lake field. Deans later acquired another homestead at Olds.


Deery, Daniel

Daniel Deery, born in Ireland in March 1860, came to Banff, Alberta in 1887. He helped construct the Banff Hotel and later worked as a track foreman making track and bridge repairs for the A.R.& I. Railroad Company between Lethbridge and Great Falls, Montana. He later homesteaded on land on the Milk River and operated a livery stable at Milk River. He was one of the Incorporators of the village of Milk River.

Merged with 2004 Addendum.

Deeson, Captain James

Captain James Deeson came to Calgary in 1887 with the Salvation Army.


Delay, Owen

Mr. Delay arrived in Lethbridge in 1886.He was born in Ireland and died November 1929, at Lethbridge. He was employed with the construction gang that built the telegraph line in 1885. Later he was the stable boss for Galt Mines. The Delays has one son.


DeMille, Vernon Nathon

De Mille came to Calgary in 1888. He was born in 1861 in New Brunswick and died at Calgary in 1930. He married Bessie Hanford Graves, who was born in 1864 at Anagance, N.B. they had a family of six children; Howard, Carolyn M., George V., Ora, Bertram, William E., and Bessie. They homesteaded on land south of Calgary and later took land on the Macleod Trail, previously owned by Howard Graves. Alter he sold the land near Calgary, he bought a saw mill near Priddis. Alter the death of his wife Bessie, he married Mabel Caton.


Dempster, Alexander Robert

Dempster came to Pincher Creek in 1884. He was a shoemaker with the NWMP and later operated a shoe repair and barber shop in Pincher Creek. He was a member of the Town Council for several years, and town Policeman for a time. Alexander was born in 1854 at Aberdeen, Scotland and died at Pincher Creek in 1941. In 1892 he married Elizabeth Anne Foote, who was born at Cobourg, Ontario in 1857 and died at Pincher Creek in 1943. They had three daughters; Christina A., Leila M., and Edith E.


Dennehy, Henry Francis

Dennehy came to Calgary in 1884. He was Assistant Dominion Land Officer Agent.


Denning, Harry & Jane

Harry Denning came to Calgary in 1887. He was born at Somerset, England in 1858 and died at Calgary in 1924. He was married in England in 1885 to Jane Beck, who was born there in 1863 and died in 1889 at the South Fork of Sheep Creek. They homesteaded about two miles west of Turner Valley, where the Lineham Post Office was opened in 1895. Harry was the postmaster there until his death. Harry and Jane Denning had four children in their family. He was remarried in 1907.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Letter from Florence Denning.

Denny, Sir Cecil Edward

The 6th Baronet of Tralee Castle, Cecil Denny was born in 1850 at Hampshire, England and died at Edmonton in 1928. Sir Cecil was commissioned in 1874 to F Troop of the NWMP. He was co-founder of Fort Macleod and Calgary and was a signatory to the Blackfoot Treaty No.7. In 1881 he acquired a large tract of land in east Calgary. Denny was the Indian Agent at Fort Walsh. Cecil Denny was Archivist, Explorer, Pioneer, Author of 'Riders of the Plains' and 'The Law Marches West'. He succeeded to the Baronetcy in 1921.


Des Brisay, P. W.

Mr. Des Brisay advertised in the 1885 city directory he was a civil engineer and general draughtsman in the office of E. McCroskie & Co. Stephen Avenue.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources, 1885.

DeSmet, Father Pierre Jean

Father DeSmet was an early Catholic Missionary. He established a Mission in 1840 in Oregon and crossed the Rockies in 1845 spending a number of years in Southern Alberta. He attempted to arrange peace treaties between the Blackfoot and Flathead Indians, along the U.S. border. DeSmet was born in 1801 at Termonde, Belgium and died in 1873 at St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A


Desson, Captain James

Captain Desson came to Calgary and established the Salvation Army Church on 21 August, 1887. There were 12 children in the Sunday School. The first band was formed in 1901.


Detlor, Thomas DeVesey Wilde

Detlor came to Calgary in 1890. He was born at Napanee, Ontario in 1844 and died in 1927 at Edmonton. In 1883 he married Alice Cecilia Schram, who was born in 1864 in Ontario and died in 1946 at Vancouver, B.C. They had three children in their family.


DeVeber, Hon. Senator Leverett George M.D.

Dr.DeVeber came to Fort Macleod in 1883 as a surgeon for the NWMP. He was born in 1849 in New Brunswick and died in 1925 at Aylmer, Quebec. He married Rachel Ann Ryan (daughter of John Ryan, NWMP) Rachel was born in 1859 and died at Ottawa, Ontario in 1944. They had two children; Marin D., and Leverett S. Dr. George was educated a Windsor, N.S., the University of Pennsylvania and at Bartholomew's Hospital at London, England. He resigned from the NWWP in 1885 and entered politics. He was elected to the Northwest Legislative Assembly in 1891 and was re-elected in 1902. He entered Premier Rutherford's Cabinet in 1905 and was appointed to the Senate in 1906.


Devereaux, Jeff

Jeff Devereaux was reported to be one of the men who took part in the Cypress hills Massacre 1865.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaning on the Wind p. 59.

Dewar, John H.

Mr. Dewar came to DeWinton in 1889. He was born in 1861 at Glengarry Co., Ontario and died in 1933 at Calgary. In 1886 he married Sarah Jane McMillan, who was born in 1863 in Alexandria, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1945. There were eight children in their family. John farmed in the DeWinton area, a plasterer by trade. He was also a piper and piped in a number of parades in Calgary and Edmonton. He was a well known Highland dancer.


Diamond, Jacob Lyon

Mr. Diamond was born at Oshmina, Russia in 1859 and came to Canada in 1877. He was a peddler in the east where he met and married Maria (Rachel) Stoodley; then settled in Calgary in 1888. His was the first Jewish family to settle permanently in Alberta. Eventually he opened the Diamond Liquor Company on Stephen Avenue. There were five children; Joe, Myers, Rose, Hattie and Dorothy. Jacob's brothers followed; William at Edmonton, and Phillip at Canmore. Jacob was a member of the Masonic Lodge; Oddfellows; and the Southern Alberta Pioneers and Old Timers Association. He was the leader of the Jewish Community as founder and president of the first Synagogue 1906-1916. He died at Calgary in 1929.

Submitted by Jay Joffe

Dick, Frank

Frank Dick was elected Chief of the Calgary Fire Department on April 12, 1887. Due to a conflict with City council he resigned December 13, 1887.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Albertan, July 10, 1950.

Dick, George Howard

Mr. and Mrs. George Dick came to Calgary in 1886 from Winnipeg with their three sons; William R., Albert A., and George H. George Dick was born in 1845 in Ontario and died at Calgary in 1911. He married Agnes Morrow, who was born in 1847 in Ontario and died at Calgary in 1943.


Dickson, Andrew Roger

Andrew Dickson came to Dunmore Junction in 1887. He was born at Hamilton, Ontario in 1857. He married Claribel Martin, who was born at Simcoe, Ontario. They had six children; Beatrice, Andrew A., Ada M., Helen, Rodger and James K. Andrew Dickson was a general merchant at Dunmore and in 1895 moved to Wetaskiwin.


Dillabaugh, M. S.

Mr. M. S. Dillabaugh was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.

2004 Addendum.

Dillabaugh, Tom

Tom Dillabaugh succeeded Jack Ingram as the Calgary Police Chief about 1888. The City Police Force at the time was reduced to only he and one constable.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Albertan, July 10, 1950.

Dinon, James

James Dinon was a Stoney Councillor that signed Treaty Number 7 on September 22, 1877.

2004 Addendum. Ref: 1891 Census, Alberta District No. 197 S, District 11 Morley.


Mr. Dixon was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.

2004 Addendum.


Mr Dixon was a witty Irishman who came out west working on CPR construction contracts. He was sent by his employers to the Victor Ranch to work. At he closing out sale of the Victor Ranch he purchased Flying "E" remnants running on the Range and established with a partner, Dan Cameron, his own spread.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 465.

Dixon, Alfred

Alfred Dixon arrived at Fort Macleod in 1887. He was born at Etobicoke, Ontario and died at Fort Macleod in 1914. He married Harriett E. Canning in 1893 in Ontario. They had five Children. Alfred came west to join his brother and they worked at the Waldron Ranch, then later purchased land at Beaver Creek. Alfred farmed until the late 1890's and then moved to the Olsen Creek district. In 1908 he operated a livery stable at Granum, Alberta and moved back to Fort Macleod in 1913.


Dixon, Anthony

Anthony Dixon came to Fort Macleod in 1885. He was born at Etobicoke, Ontario and died there in 1900. He was employed in the Department of Indian Affairs as a farm instructor, then worked at the Waldron Ranch. A few years later he bought land in the Beaver Creek area and ran horses and cattle. He returned to Ontario, being in poor health, in 1900.


Dixon, Robert (Rattlesnake Pete)

'Rattlesnake Pete' came to Fort Macleod in 1881. He was born in 1861 at Aberdeen, Scotland and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1955. He married Wanita Jackson in 1912 at Butte, Montana. They had two children, Mary and Sarah.


Dobbie, William Reston

William came to Pincher Creek in 1885. Born at Lanark, Ontario in 1863, he died at Pincher Creek in 1921. In 1885, he married Margaret Skiffington, who was born at Lanark, Ontario in 1861 and died at Pincher Creek, in 1946. There were nine children. On his arrival at Pincher Creek, 1885, he worked as woods and river Foreman at Peter McLaren's sawmill on the Old Man River. He then operated the Brick Hotel and Livery business. He also engaged in farming, horse trading and real estate. He was Mayor of Pincher Creek in 1910 and 1911.


Dobbler, Daniel

Mr. Dobbler came to Red Deer in 1885 and returned to Ontario, in 1901. He was born in 1866 in Lake Erie County, Ontario.


Dodd, John

John came to Innisfail area in 1890, where he worked as a millwright and operated mills in that area. He was born at Waterloo, Ontario in 1850. John married Margaret Dea, who was born at Gaspe, Quebec. There were seven children.


Dog Child, Minnie

Minnie Dog Child was born on the Blackfoot reserve in 1871. As a young girl she married Bill Bear Chief in the early 1880's.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.

Doll, Louis Henry

Louis came to Calgary in 1889. He was born at Port Perry, Ontario in 1867 and died at Oliver, Alberta in 1961. In 1897, he married Mary Christina Jepson Young, who was born in Toronto, Ontario and died at Calgary, in 1953. They had five children. Mr. Doll was in the jewellery business, starting in Toronto, then to Winnipeg, Revelstoke, B.C, as well as Donald, B.C. In 1889 he sold out and moved to Calgary, where he operated a retail jewellery store, for many years. He constructed the Doll Block on 8th Avenue.


Donaldson, Maxwell

Maxwell Donaldson, came to Lethbridge in 1886. He was born at Kingston, Ontario and died at Taber, Alberta, in 1947. He married Annie Saunders, who was born in Scotland, in 1887. They had one child. Mr. Donaldson was employed by the C.P.R. and freighted for I.G. Baker. Later he farmed at Grassy Lake, Lethbridge and Taber.


Donovan, Hubert A.

Hubert Donovan, a "Remittance Man", arrived in Southern Alberta from England in 1887. In partnership with E. H. Barker he operated a ranch, initially raising sheep and later cattle. The homestead ranch was located near Cardston on the NE 1/4 of Sec.5-3-25-W4M. He left the Cardston area in 1910 or 1911 and moved to Proctor, BC.

2004 Addendum.

Doolittle, George

George Doolittle came to Shepard in 1885. He was born at Belfast, Ireland and died at Shepard in 1919. He married Hannah Elizabeth Jerry, who was born at Walters Falls, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1961. They had seven children. Four of them died in the diphtheria epidemic in 1897. George was employed by the C.P.R., doing construction work for $1.00 a day. He would milk five cows, walk one mile to work and be there by 7:00 a.m.


Dorenzie, (Derenzie) Samuel

Samuel came to Standoff, in 1879 with the NWMP. He was born at Ottawa, Ontario, in 1859 and died at Fort Macleod in 1901. He was married and they had one son. Samuel left the NWMP force in 1884 and turned to ranching, first on the St. Mary's River and Lee Creek, then 1889 moved on to Willow Creek.


Doucet, Father Leon O.M.I.

Father Doucet was born in France in 1847 and came to St. Albert in 1868, where he was ordained in 1870. He was sent to learn the Blackfoot language and together with Father Scollen, established Our Lady of Peace Roman Catholic Mission, in 1875. The Mission was located on NW 1/4 3-24 W 4th, southwest of Cochrane. A Cairn was erected at this site in 1939. As the Mission was too far from Calgary, it was later moved to the present site of the Holy Cross Hospital. Father Leon Doucet died in 1942.


Dougherty, John

John came from Chatham, Ontario by covered wagon and red river cart, to Fort Macleod in the early 1880's. He was married to Victoria H. Bodder. They had eight children.


Doughty, Edward

Mr. Doughty came to Calgary in 1886 and worked as an accountant and manager from 1888 to 1902, then in 1906 engaged in the real estate business. Edward was born at Iron Bridge, Shropshire, England in 1859 and later died in Calgary in 1940. He married Adelaide Harriet Hayward in England. They had two children.


Douglas, Howard

Howard was a Civil Engineer with the C.P.R., whose employment ended in Calgary in August 1883 with the end of the track. He was born in Nelson Township, Halton Co., Ontario in 1852 and died at Edmonton, in 1929. In 1872, he married Maud Alice Johnston, who was born in England in 1852. They had four children. He built a house on a lot which later became the site for the Bank of Montreal. He went to Banff in 1896 as the second Superintendent of Banff National Park and was instrumental in bringing the Buffalo from Montana. Mount Howard Douglas, is named after him.

Information received from Teen Nolan

Douglas, Peter

Peter Douglas came to Calgary in 1886 and worked as a laborer.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Douglas, T. Spencer

Spencer Douglas came to Calgary in 1884 and was a member of the first Calgary Council and Tax Collector.


Douglas, Thomas

Thomas settled in the Pine Creek (DeWinton) area in 1885. He was born in Scotland in 1837 and died in Calgary in 1920. In 1866 he married Ann Charlton, who was born in England in 1843 and died in Calgary in 1930. There were seven children.


Douglass, Charles Linzee

Mr. Douglass brought seven thoroughbred stallions, from Market Harborough, to the Quorn ranch in 1885. He was born at Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England in 1867 and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1936. In 1896, he married Maria Arabella Deane-Freeman, who was born in county Louth, Ireland in 1876 and died in 1952, at Victoria, B.C. There were six children. In 1902 the Douglasses with William Deane-Freeman and John Ware obtained land north of Bassano and ranched there until 1918.


Douglass, Janet

Janet came to Calgary in 1883, to visit a sister, Mrs. Desbrisay and remained. She taught school and kept books for G.C. King until she married. Janet was born in 1866 at Quebec City, Quebec and died in Calgary in 1936. In 1886 she married W.E.G. Holmes, who was born in 1850 and died at Calgary, 1915.


Dowling, Ada

Miss Ada Dowling came from Fredrickton, New Brunswick in 1887 to teach in the junior department of Calgary's first school. She was the first music teacher in Calgary. She later married Mr. Costigan.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary Daily Herald, Nov. 18, 1933.

Dowling. James

James Dowling arrived in Calgary about 1883 to 1885, likely the son of John Henry Dowling.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Dowling, John Henry

John and his family settled on the S 1/2 10-22 W5th, in 1884. He was born in 1852 in England and died in Calgary in 1893. In 1882 he married Mary Annie Moore, who was born 1862 in Montreal, Quebec and died at Calgary in 1948. They had seven children. After his sudden death, his wife with seven children continued to farm and later filed on SW 1/ 2-34-21-3 W5th. She later married Fred Monk.


Dowson, William Henry

William Dowson came to Fort Macleod in 1885 where he was employed as a cook.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Draper, Luke

The Draper's came to Calgary in 1890 from Ellendale, North Dakota, U.S.A. Luke was born at Athens Ontario in 1861 and died at Calgary in 1931. In 1881 at Ogdenburg, New York, he married Eliza Emily Burke, who was born at Prescott, Ontario in 1864 and died at Calgary in 1954. There were eight children, three born in North Dakota and five in Canada.


Draudson, Edward C.

The Draudsons came to Canmore, in 1889, where Edward worked as a contractor. Edward was born at Riga, Latvia in 1868 and died at Medicine Hat in 1902. In 1889 he married Minnie Rye, who was born at Riga, Latvia and died at Los Angeles in 1931. There were four children. In 1896, Edward went to Chicago and then to Canmore and Medicine Hat, where he did the interior woodwork and windows for the St. Johns Presbyterian Church. He owned property at Medicine Hat and a farm forty miles south of Medicine Hat. He died from drowning at Feldman Lake.


Drew, Henry (Boston)

Mr. Drew, a former U.S.A. Army Officer, came to the N.W.T. with a trail herd from Idaho, in 1884. He worked for Buck Smith for two years and then in 1886, built a Stopping Place and Saloon at High River. This he sold to George Ross and moved to British Columbia.


Drinnon, J. K.

Mr. J. K. Drinnon taught in the first public school in Medicine Hat located in the St. Johns Church until 1888.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country.

Drinkwater, Edward Thompson

Mr. Drinkwater, was a member of the NWWP for twenty years, stationed at Fort Macleod. He was the Grandfather of Judge Allen Cullen.


Duce, Thomas

Thomas was born in England in 1846. He married Mary Ann Hymus, who was born in Essex, England in 1857 and died in Cardston in 1922. There were eight children. Mr. Duce was a farmer, Councillor, merchant, Bishop of the Mormon Church and Overseer of the Temple.


Duff, John

Mr. and Mrs. Duff came to Lethbridge in 1885 where they farmed. John was born in 1822, in Scotland and died at Lethbridge in 1898. He married Janet McKay, born in 1835 in Scotland and died at Lethbridge in 1920. They had nine children. John planned the Duff addition to Lethbridge and planted some of the first trees there in 1886.


Dufour, Alfred

Alfred Dufour homesteaded near Gleichen in 1886, Alberta.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.

Duggan, Cornelius J.

Cornelius came to Calgary in 1885 with the C.P.R. He was born in Fenelon Falls, Ontario in 1845 and died at Calgary in 1937. He married Aggie McGraine, who was born at Lindsay, Ontario and died at Calgary. They had one child, Edward.


Duke, Christopher

Christopher came to Calgary in 1886. He was born in Sussex, England in 1866 and died at Calgary, in 1952. In 1898 he married Blanche Hunt, who was born in Ontario in 1866 and died in Calgary in 1954. They had three children. Mr. Duke was nicknamed "Long" as he was six feet four inches tall, or "Banjo" for the instrument he played. He settled on N 1/2-10-24-4 W5th and NE 4-24-4 W5th. Blanche was a phenomenon for that time, as she was very proficient in shorthand and typing and worked as Secretary to J.A Bangs (Lawyer).


Dunbar, Hugh William & Frieda

Hugh Dunbar, born in Guelph, Ontario, came to Calgary in 1887. He married Frieda Matilda Sorge who was born in Nebraska. They Ranched at Beaver Creek where they had three sons and raised horses. They later moved to High River Hugh died in 1940 and Frieda died in Calgary in 1971.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Tales and Trails-Longview.

Dunbar, J. James

James Dunbar arrived in Fort Macleod in 1887.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files., Re: Lois Price.

Dunbar, John Alexander

Dunbar filed a homestead on Beaver Creek, at the foot of the Porcupine Hills in 1884. John was born at Kingston, Ontario in 1828 and died at Fort Macleod in 1912. He married May Ann Patterson, who was born at Kingston, Ontario in 1837 and died at Fort Macleod in 1923. They had five children. John came to the N.W.T. to work on the Railway in 1884. In 1885 he became part of the Alberta Field force and took part in the suppression of the Riel Rebellion. In 1885, he applied for a homestead on the NW 1/4-12-24-4 W5th.


Dunbar, Robert

Robert and Mary Dunbar came to the N.W.T. in 1883. He was born at Tempburne, Tipperary in 1815 and died in 1898 at Fort Macleod. In 1840 he married Mary Anne O'Loane, in Ontario, who was born in 1825 and died in 1898 at Fort Macleod. They had seven children.


Duncan, Margaret

Margaret Duncan was a school teacher in Red Deer, in 1890.


Dunne, T. H.

Mr. T. H. Dunne operated The Calgary House a Calgary hotel, in 1883.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald, July 08, 1950 and Calgary, Her Industries & Resources, 1885.

Duthie, Richard Jonathan & Theresa

Richard was born at New Richmond, Quebec in 1848 and came west to Calgary in 1881. To get ranching experience he hired on at the Cochrane Ranch. In 1882 the Alberta Ranch Company was formed with Duthie as one of the shareholders. With the company he was involved in several operations that included a sheep ranch at DeWinton, and a cattle and horse ranch on 22,000 leased acres south of the Pincher Creek area. The ranch operated for eighteen years with 22,000 acres of leased land and as many as 3000 head of cattle. In 1885, he married Theresa Ann Clark, who was born at Tiverton, Ontario in 1865 and who had arrived in Pincher Creek in 1882. They had four children. He retired in the town of Pincher Creek where he lived until he died in 1922. Theresa died at Edmonton in 1946.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 227.

Dyer, Ralph

Ralph Dyer came to Calgary in 1888. He had one son.


Dyke, Rev. Joshua

Rev. Dyke was in the Calgary area in 1882. His brand was registered in 1888. He was born September 15th, 1848 at Wednesfield, Staffordshire, England and died in 1934 at Fort William, Ontario. He married his first wife at Bowmanville, Ontario. He married his second wife, Sophia Louise Fox, at Chatham, Ontario. She was born at Chatham, Ontario and died August 14th, 1958 at Fort William, Ontario. There were seven children.


Dyke, Rev. L.

Rev. Dyke is reported in an article on the clergymen of the Banff Methodist Church and to be have come from Calgary to serve the parishioners there in 1886.

2004 Addendum.

Dyson, Arthur

Arthur was in Calgary in 1887. He was born in 1869 in India, and died in South Africa in 1910. He was married in Calgary, in 1892 to Florence Hudson, who was born June 19th, 1865 and died October 23rd, 1957, at Kelowna, B.C.