Saddington, Arthur Nathanial
Mr. Saddington was Post Master in Banff, in 1890. He was
born in 1872, in London, England and died in 1958 at Victoria,
B.C. He was married in 1906 at Banff to Annie Ward, who
was born in 1880 in England. They had three children: Arthur,
Lillian and Florence.
Saddington, William Edward
Mr. Saddingion came to Banff, in 1888. He was born in 1870
in London, England and died at Banff in 1950. William married
Emily Mary Burton, in 1903 in Ottawa, Ontario. She was born
in 1873 in England and died at Banff in 1948. They had three
children: George, Marion and Elsie.
Sage, Robert W.
Robert arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He was born in 1849
and died in 1921 at Lethbridge. Robert was employed as a
bookkeeper in Medicine Hat for three years at the grocery
store of George McCuaig. He moved to Lethbridge and was
employed as a bookkeeper by the North West Coal and Navigation
Company. He owned a stationery business and served as Alderman
for a few years. Robert and Lillias had four daughters and
one son. One daughter nursed at the Galt Hospital and Ina
was matron of the Cardston Hospital.
David came to Fort Macleod in 1877.
Herbert Samson was at Little Bow in 1886. He was born
and died in London, England. He was also married there.
In partnership with Ben Hartford, they trailed a herd of
cattle from Wyoming and Montana to the Little Bow. Hartford
sold his interest to Samson in 1895. In 1899 Samson sold
to George Lane and went to the Boer War, remaining in South
Africa to become Governor of one of its states. Later, he
went to England on a holiday and married. He was killed
in an automobile accident.
Sandeman, Henry Fraser
Henry Sandeman came to Fort Macleod in 1888. He was born
in 1870 in London, England. Henry married Eleanor Bell in
1896 at Strathcona, Alberta. They had two children: Eleanor
and Roderick. After six and half years of ranching in Fort
Macleod, they moved to a ranch at Calgary, where he went
broke. They moved to Strathcona in 1894 and engaged in Real
Estate, Loan and Insurance business as Sandeman Cope Ltd.
Sargent, Sidney J.
Sidney was born in London, England. He had two children:
Violet and Sidney. At age 15, Sidney left England and came
to Canada, reaching Medicine Hat where he worked as a section
hand for the C.P.R. In 1890 he moved to Lethbridge where
he obtained a team of horses and eight head of cattle and
commenced ranching which he carried on with until 1903,
when he established a home in Blairmore. He had a Meat and
Commission business and in 1907 had a Flour and Feed business,
which he conducted until 1919, when he retired.
E. Saunders came to Fort Macleod in 1874, with the N.W.M.P.
In 1882 he established the Macleod Gazette in partnership
with C.D. Wood, which was published three times a month.
In 1885 he moved to Lethbridge, Alberta and established
the Lethbridge News and later the Pincher Creek Echo. He
married Caroline K Kean. There were no children.
Saunders, Lt. Col. G.E.
Member of the N.W.M.P. during the Riel Rebellion in 1885.
He was in charge of the Riel prisoners. He was awarded the
Distinguished Service Order, South African War - Canadian
Mounted Rifles, Boer War.
Sam ran an early Stopping Place on Rosebud Creek, near
the present site of Didsbury. He was a rancher at Carstairs
in the early 1880s.
Michael was born at Alsace-Lorraine, France and died in
1929 at Fort Macleod. He married Elize Demerais, who was
born at Westborne, Manitoba and died in 1939 at Fort Macleod.
They had nine children: Arthur, Margaret, Mary, George,
Alfred, Nancy, Albert, John, and Michael. He came to Fort
Macleod from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He operated a
Blacksmith shop in Fort Macleod from 1885 to 1890, then
purchased a farm three miles east which he farmed until
ill health forced him to retire to Fort Macleod, where his
wife was running a boarding house.
Aaron was born in Virginia, U.S.A. in 1812 and died in
1890 in Okotoks. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Van Slyke,
who was born in Ohio in 1812 and died in Okotoks in 1916.
All records from 1707 indicate the name was spelled Schmucker.
After moving to Okotoks in 1884, the spelling appeared as
Smucker. Aaron and Elizabeth had one daughter, Margaret
Schoening, Charley Conrad
Charley came to Pincher Creek in 1883. He was born in
1854 in Germany and died in 1938 at Pincher Creek, Alberta.
Charley was married in 1886 at Ladysmith, Quebec to Johanna
Witkopff, who was born in Germany in 1862 and died in 1945
at Pincher Creek. They had five sons: Frederick, Otto, Richard,
Ernest, and Albert.
Schofield, James H.
James Schofield was the first Post Master at Pincher Creek,
in 1883. He was born at Durham, Ontario in 1858. He was
of United Empire Loyalist and Scottish parents and died
at Victoria, B.C. in 1939. He enlisted with the N.W.M.P.
in 1877/78, when Major Walsh returned east to recruit new
members to be stationed at Fort Walsh, Fort Macleod and
Fort Calgary. James took his discharge in 1881 and rode
for the Stewart Ranch. He trailed cattle from Montana to
the Blood Indian Reserve, near Fort Macleod. The Marna Ranch
on Marna Lake, was established by him and he used the Y6
brand for his cattle. In 1888 he married Edythe McClement
at Fort Macleod. She had come from Kingston, Ontario and
died at Victoria, B.C. James had several Men's Clothing
stores at Fort Macleod and Cranbrook as well as a General
Store at Cowley, Alberta. Mr. and Mrs. Schofield retired
to Victoria, B.C. in 1928.
Scollen, Father Constantine
Father Scollen came to Edmonton in 1862 where he operated
the first regular school in Alberta until 1871. He was born
in Ireland in 1841 and died at Drayton, Ohio in 1902. He
was educated in Dublin, Ireland and became a Lay Brother.
Father Scollen was ordained in 1873 and built the first
Mission for the Blackfoot Indians, at the present site of
Calgary. He remained in Calgary until 1881, helped to negotiate
Treaty No. Six (1876) and No. Seven (1877). He was a noted
linguist in Cree, Blackfoot and Stoney languages.
William was a rancher in early Calgary. He was the brother
of Father Scollen. William served as a Juryman on the Fiske
Murder trial in 1889. He had one son, William.
Scott, Edward Burroughs
Edward Scott came to Medicine Hat in 1887. He was born
at Quebec City. P.Q. and died at Calgary in 1891. Edward
married Harriet Emma Neuton in 1854 at Quebec City. She
was born there and died at Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1909. They
had four children: Aurelia, Marion, Margaret, and Monica.
George came to the Quorn Ranch in 1889. George was born
in Scotland in 1871 and died at Calgary in 1965. He was
married to Sarah Ellen McFarlane in Okotoks in 1906. They
had three Children: Margaret, George, and Joyce.
Harry Scott was born in Scotland and died in B.C. He was
married to Margaret Turnbull, who died at Gleichen in 1921.
His second wife was Orpha Morrow, who died at Vancouver,
B.C. Harry filed on a quarter section adjacent to that farmed
by Alexander Turnbull. They ranched together using the 76
brand. Alexander died, leaving his sister, who lived with
him alone. She married Harry Scott and they returned to
B.C. in 1942 where Harry died.
Scott, Thomas Herron
Thomas came West during the Riel Rebellion and continued
on west, settling at Fort Macleod in 1885. He was born in
1866 at Richmond, Ontario and died at Pincher Creek in 1949.
He married Gertie McCrae (daughter of Samuel McCrae, Fort
Macleod 1878, N.W. M.P.). They had one daughter and two
sons: James, Thomas, and Kathleen. Thomas worked for the
C.P.R., building bridges and station houses. He built the
Queen's hotel and many other buildings at Fort Macleod and
Pincher Creek. He lived at Pincher Creek after his marriage
and had a stable of race horses on his ranch, the "Angel's
Scott, Thomas Jackson
Thomas came to Calgary in 1883. He was born at Galt, Ontario
in 1854 and died in 1934 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married
in 1898 at Mitford, Alberta to Elizabeth S. McBean who was
born at Stellerton, N.C. in 1876 and died in 1950 at Calgary.
They had one son, R. Murray and one daughter, Mable.
Scott, William James
William travelled west with the Police and Government
and took part in the first Council, which was held in the
winter of 1876/77 at Fort Livingstone's N.W.M.P. Barracks,
and in Fort Pelly as well. He was born in 1841 in Prescott,
Ontario, the fourth son of Doctor William James Scott and
Sarah MacDonnel. He was educated at Upper Canada College
and was a lawyer by profession. William was one of half
a dozen original settlers of Battleford, Saskatchewan. When
the N.W. Territories were organized in 1874, he was appointed
Registrar, when Battleford was made the Capital. Shortly
after 1877, Mr. Scott returned to Ottawa to marry Maria
Patricia Gough, the daughter of Major Thomas Gough. Together
they settled in Battleford, raising eight children, all
born on Battle Hill. During the 1885 Rebellion, William
became a Captain of the local Volunteer Company. His family
was retained in the Fort until danger of the war passed.
In 1899, after his death, Maria came to Calgary to be near
her brother, Mr. Gough of Midnapore, Alberta. Seven children
remained in Calgary.
John homesteaded in1882 on the north side of the Highwood
River. He was born in Ontario in 1836 and died in 1919 at
Edmonton, Alberta. John married Jane Anderson in 1864 at
Machon County, Quebec. She was born in 1842 at Ottawa and
died in High River, Alberta in 1908. Mrs. Sexsmith arrived
in 1883 at Calgary and went to High River by team and wagon.
They had five daughters and two sons: Elizabeth, Alvera,
Jane, Euphemia, Abigail, John, and Marston. John built many
log buildings at neighbouring ranches. He opened a mine
in the late 1880s at Coal Coulee and mined coal during the
Robert Shannon was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1858. He
came to Calgary in 1888 and lived at High River until 1894.
He died in 1953. Mr. Shannon married Lucy Ann Davis, who
was born in 1885 and died in 1945. They had twelve children.
Robert Shannon homesteaded SW 32-35-3-5.
Charles came on a cattle drive for the Cochrane Ranch
in 1881. He was born in Quebec in 1856 and died in Claresholm,
Alberta in 1909. He was married in 1902 at Fort Macleod
to Barbara MacDonald (daughter of Allan Ban MacDonald -
1885 Glengarry Ranch, later 44). She was born in 1871 in
Ontario and died in 1933 at Claresholm. They had five children:
Henry, Allan, Susan, Charles, and James. Charles worked
for the Department of Indian Affairs as issuer of supplies
to the Stony Indians at Morley. He then moved to Claresholm
as manager of the Winder Ranch Company. When the ranch dissolved
he filed a homestead on the same site and remained there
until his death. In 1902 he was appointed Brand Inspector,
Coroner and Justice of the Peace for the Claresholm district.
John Sharples was at Calgary in 1877.
Shattuck, Wallis D.
Wallis Shattuck was a farmer at Davisburg in 1888. He
was married in 1881 at Guelph, Ontario to Mary Ann Blanchfleld
(Campbell). She had three children from a previous marriage.
Wallis and Mary Ann had four children of their own: Clifford,
Frederick, Forrest and Willis.
Shaw, Frederick Davis LDS
Frederick came west with the N.W.M.P. to Fort Walsh in
1879. He was born in Kentville, N.S. in 1856 and died at
Lethbridge in 1926. He took his discharge from the Force
in 1882 and returned to Nova Scotia. He was married in 1885
at Halifax, N.S. to Agnes Moran, who was born in Nova Scotia
in 1864 and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1942. In 1885 he came
back with his wife, mother and three younger brothers. He
was a Collector of Customs at Lethbridge for 20 years.
Shaw, Martha Davis
Martha Shaw was in the area before 1890.
Shaw, Samuel William and Helen Maria
They came to Midnapore, in 1883 ahead of the C.P.R. railroad
completion to Calgary with eight children and two hired
men. Samuel was born on November 24, 1840 in London, England.
He married Helen Maria York on January 9, 1863. They built
a Woolen Mill on the banks of Fish Creek and it was operating
by 1889. A General Store and a Post Office in Midnapore,
as well as a store in Calgary to sell the woolen goods,
was also established by them. Samuel was an accomplished
musician, as well as being able to speak seven languages.
His talents were many: chemist, photographer. He built the
first telephone line from Midnapore to the Calgary store.
They were active in building the first school and church
in the Midnapore district. Samuel lived in Midnapore until
his death in 1919. Helen was born in 1847 in England and
died in Midnapore in 1941. The children were: Helen, Agnes,
John, Evelyn, Hugh, Maltman, Elfie, Henry, John, Irene,
and Kinnaird, who died at 24 years of age.
Submitted by James Shaw
Shead, Arthur and Alice
Arthur and Alice arrived at Fort Macleod in 1882, where
Arthur joined the N.W.M.P. She was born in 1854 at Maldon,
England. They later ranched at Yarrow, where they were twice
burned out completely. When Arthur returned to England,
Alice moved to Pincher Creek where she worked with a medical
doctor delivering babies and helping the sick. Alice raised
her five daughters: Mable, Edith, Jessie, Alberta, and Helen,
as well as two grandchildren. Alice could speak the Blood
Indian language and traded sugar and flour with the local
band. She moved to Calgary in 1932 and died at Standard
in 1946. Arthur died in 1946 at Standard as well.
Joseph came to Calgary in 1883/84. He was born in Bruce
County, Ontario in 1865 and died at Calgary, Alberta in
1919. He was married at Pine Creek, Alberta in 1898 to Jessie
Dalzell, who was born in Ontario in 1874 and died in Calgary
in 1935. They had one daughter and three sons: J. Reginald,
William, Annie, and Robert.
Sheffield, William Wilmer
William came to Cardston, in 1888. He was born in 1866
and died at Cardston in 1950. In 1889 he married Lenora
Ann Hudson, who was born in 1871. They had five sons and
four daughters: Philip, Archie, Heber, Lenora, Gladys, Robin,
Jennie, Lois, and William.
Shelley, Henry Alfred
Henry came to Calgary, in 1887. He was born in 1849 at
Rye, England and died in 1928 at Kelowna, B.C. He was married
in 1870 in England to Rachel Prudent Ratcliff, who was born
at Ramsgate, England and died at Calgary in 1913. They had
three sons: Henry, Edward and John. Rachel, with her three
sons, joined her husband in 1890.
A. Shelton was Mayor of Calgary, Aberta in 1887/88. He
was a manufacturer and dealer of furniture, office furniture
and school furniture.
Sheppard, Henry Norman
Henry came to Calgary in 1887. He was born in 1861 in
England and died in 1934 at High River. In 1888 at Midnapore,
he married Isabelle Beatrice Godden, who was born in England
in 1859 and died at High River in 1913. They had four sons:
Henry, Edmond, George, and Herbert.
James and his wife came to Lethbridge in 1886 to take
charge of the coal mine after Michael had died. Later they
took up ranching on the west side of the river bottom. They
lost their home in a flood in 1902.
Sheran, Nicholas (Nick)
Nick was a prospector who discovered coal near Lethbridge,
Alberta and opened the first coal mine in that area. He
died in 1884 or 1885 by drowning in the Old Man River. His
brother Michael came from New York in 1885 to continue to
operate the mine. He died the same year and a cousin, James
Sheran, arrived in 1886 to take charge of the mine.
R. Sherlock came west in 1882. He was born in the County
of Lincoln, Ontario. He married Christabelle Freeman, daughter
of Samuel B. Freeman and KC. Hamilton of Ontario. They had
three children: Clarence, Robin, and Marjorie. Mr. Sherlock
passed away in 1913 and Mrs. Sherlock passed away in 1933.
Shields, John A.
John came to Okotoks in 1883. He was born in 1865 at Lakefield,
Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1940. He was married
in 1894 at Okotoks to Elizabeth McLeod, who was born in
1876 at Meaford, Ontario and died at High River, Alberta
in 1942. They had one daughter and three sons: George, John,
Clarence, and Elizabeth.
Thomas established Carson & Shore Saddlery in Calgary
in 1889. He was born at Ottawa, Ontario in 1846 and died
there in 1916. He was married in Ottawa to Elizabeth Bray,
who was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1851 and died at Winnipeg,
Manitoba in 1909. They had two daughters: Florence and Katie.
Thomas sold his business in 1903 and returned to Ottawa,
Short, James K.C.
James was the first principal of Calgary Public Schools
from 1889 to 1893. He was born at Wellington County, Ontario
in 1862 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1942. He married
Janet Lafferty, who died in Calgary in 1934. There were
no children. When his duties for the School Board were done
in 1893, he then studied law and was called to the Bar in
1895. His firms were: McCaul and Short, Sifton and Short,
Short and Stuart and Short, Ross and Selwood.
Short, Joseph William
Joseph was born at New Castle, Ontario in 1842 and died
at High River, Alberta in 1924. His first marriage was to
Julia Ann Conklin in 1866 in New York, who bore 10 children.
The second marriage was to Alice Morley who had one child.
They came to High River in 1883 with Tom Chalmers and Wallace
Conklin. Plans for a ranch fell through and Joseph filed
on a homestead. He brought his wife and family out in 1884.
They helped to get the first school opened. Joseph was the
first Justice of the Peace in the district. There were 11
children: John Conklin, Joseph, Charles, Edith, Julia, Mary,
Richard, William, Claude, Ellwood, and Alice.
Shortt, George S.
George came to Red Deer Lake in 1889. He was born in Scotland
in 1829 and died at Red Deer Lake, Alberta in 1893. He married
Mary Shields, who was born in Scotland about 1835 and died
at Calgary, Alberta in 1907. There were eight children:
Martha, Elizabeth, Agnes, Mary, George, James, Isabelle,
Albert came to Fort Macleod in 1874 with the N.W.M.P. He
was born in 1841 and died in Pincher Creek in 1885. In the
early 1870s he married Julia Wood, who was born in the early
1850s and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1918. They had one
daughter, Lillian Wood. In 1884, he retired as superintendent
to a ranch at Pincher Creek. Albert and Julia were signators
of Treaty No.7 at the Blackloot Crossing in 1877. In 1879,
Albert was in charge of the N.W.M.P. experimental farm at
Pincher Creek. There have been various spellings of the
name, however, family records spell it as Shurtleff After
Albert died, Julia married Daniel Webster Marsh.
Andrew brought the equipment to build a sawmill, school
and church as well as other buildings, to Morley. He was
trained as a carpenter but he had lost one hand and as a
result became a teacher and taught at the Morley Mission
until his retirement in 1896. His homestead was W30-26-6-W5th.
Andrew was born in 1833 at Stroud, Ontario and died in 1934
at Banff, Alberta. He was married in 1865 in Ontario to
Elizabeth Ann Robins, who was born in 1845 in Ontario and
died in 1882 at Morley. They had four children. Elizabeth
and three of the children left Ontario in 1875 to come to
Morley to join her husband.
Ofeigur left Iceland for Winnipeg, Manitoba on July 15,
1887 and came to Calgary in 1889. In 1890, he homesteaded
NE 10-37-1-W5th, 19 miles southwest of Red Deer, where he
lived until 1952. He was born in 1862 at Arnessysla, Iceland.
In 1877, at Winnipeg, he married Astridur Tomasdottir, who was
born at Arnessysla and died in 1921 at Markerville, Alberta.
They had six children and one adopted child. Ofeigur unveiled the Cairns for the
Pioneers at Old Red Deer Crossing and Stephansson, at Markerville.
Simons, Percy William
Percy was at Fort Walsh, in 1882 and at Calgary, in 1887.
He was an early member of the N.W.M.P. and later became
a bridge builder.
Simpson, John A.
John arrived in Calgary in 1890 and went north to what
is now the site of Olds, Alberta. He was born in 1854 in
Peel County, Ontario and was married in Ontario in 1879
to Anna Proudfoot. They had five children. In 1891 he moved
to Innisfail, and opened a lumber yard in 1892. In 1894
he was elected to the Territorial Government and served
until the formation of the Province of Alberta. John was
appointed Deputy Speaker of the Legislature and was a member
of the first Town Council in Innisfail.
David came to Calgary, in March of 1884 with his family,
from Scotland. He was born at Glenbervie, Scotland in 1838
and died at Calgary in 1903. He was married at Glenbervie
in 1879 to Eliza Falconer, who was born in 1848 at Glenbervie
and died in 1932 at Calgary. They had five children.
Sinclair, David and Isobel
David was born in Forres, Scotland in 1857 and died in
Calgary in 1949. He came west in 1883 to work as a bridge
builder on the CPR, walking from Blackfoot Crossing to Banff.
In 1886 in Kananaskis, he married Isobel Brown who was born
in Glasgow, Scotland and died at Innisfail, Alberta in 1950.
Isobel Brown was 15 when she arrived in 1883, as the only
woman on the sixth train to reach Calgary. The first women
settler between Calgary and Edmonton, she kept house for
her brothers Jim and John at their homestead on the Red
Deer River west of what is now Innisfail. David and Isobel
Sinclair had five children.
Submitted by W R. Sinclair
George came to the Fort Macleod district in 1885 where
he worked at the Cochrane ranch for nine years, as well
as at the Strong ranch. George was born in 1865 at Belmont,
Ontario and died at Fort Macleod in 1927. He was married
at Fort Macleod in 1904 to Anne Renwick, who was born in
1876 at Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland and died at Fort
Macleod in 1956. When he left the Strong ranch he moved
to Cardston as a Cattle buyer, then returned to Fort Macleod
where he established a coal business and also dealt with
hay, grain and feed. He was a partner in a Grocery and Retail
store - Baker and Skelding, which was later sold to Macleods
Supply Company. George represented the Macleod Constituency
in the Alberta Legislature from 1917 to 1921.
Skinner, Thomas John Searle
Thomas came to Calgary on May 23,1883, working on a Surveying
Party for the railroad. For the first three years after
his arrival here, he was employed to carry the mail through
the mountains on horseback and by dog team in the winter.
He was born on August 15th, 1861 in Paignton, Devon, England
and died on March 8, 1944 at Calgary. On January31, 1887
in Winnipeg, Manitoba, he married Catherine MacDonald who
was born in Sydney, Nova Scotia on August 13, 1861 and died
at Calgary on April 7, 1923. They had five children. He
was married a second time on July 4, 1925 and they had one
daughter. He established Skinner and Miquelon, a wholesale
company. Thomas was a director of the Alberta Investment
Company, Ltd.; Calgary Natural Gas; Rocky Mountain Development
Company, Ltd.; a member of the Alberta Club, the Masonic
Order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Skrine, Walter C.
Mr. Skrine was in the area before 1890.
Small, Alexander Moncier
Alexander was a CPR Section Foreman and moved to Medicine
Hat in 1886, where he stayed for five years and then went
to Tilley, Alberta He was born in Dundee, Scotland and died
June 18, 1924 at Medicine Hat, Alberta. He was married on
February 5, 1869 at Dundee to Susan McKenzie Duncan, who
was born on May 27, 1845 at Farfar, Scotland and died on
October 11, 1937 at Maple Creek, Saskatchewan. They had
Smart, Isabella (Swan)
Isabella came to Calgary, in 1883. Her husband died on
November 22, 1880 in Scotland. Isabella had five children.
Her eldest son was the first Captain of the Calgary Fire
Department, James (Cappy) Short.
Smith, Amos Nelson
Amos was in High River, in 1888. He was born on March
18, 1857 at Hamilton, Ontario and died on August 8, 1935
at Sylvan Lake, Alberta. He was married on February 1, 1888
at Comber, Ontario to Harriet Millow, who was born on November
15, 1857 at Albin Trap, Ontario and died in June 1943 at
Mr. and Mrs. Smith came to Lethbridge in 1880. Mrs Smith
was E. Minden.
Charles was in the Pincher Creek area in 1877. He was born
on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in 1843 and died at
Pincher Creek, Alberta in January of 1914. He was married
by Father Lacombe at St. Albert in 1876 to Mary Rose Delorme,
who was born on October 8, 1861 at Whitehorse Plains, Manitoba
and died on April 4, 1960 at Lethbridge, Alberta. They had
17 children. Charles was the operator of the Jughandle Ranch
in Pincher Creek district. The ranch derived the name because
Charles marked his cattle by cutting a loop in the brisket
- Jughandle. He purchased 250 head of cattle in Montana
and brought them to Pincher Creek. His homestead was six
miles along the river from the present town.
Smith, Rev. Edward Paske
Rev. Edward Paske was the first Anglican Rector of the
Church of Redeemer in Calgary in 1884. Edward was born in
England. His wife's name was Annie. They had one son.
Smith, George Wilbert
George came to Red Deer in October, 1886. George was born
on April 24, 1855 at Selma, (Maitland) Nova Scotia and died
on August 9, 1931 at Red Deer. He was married at Red Deer
in February of 1888 to Carrie Addison Gaetz, who was born
on September 22, 1871 at Fredericton, N.B. and died on October
29, 1945 at Red Deer. They had eight children. In 1896,
George formed a partnership with R.L. Gaetz under the name
Smith & Gaetz. This was a flour and feed business, which
was established two years earlier. George taught school
for two years at the newly formed Red Deer School, District
104. He opened the first barber shop in Red Deer as well
as an Implement shop in 1901.
Smith, Harold Arthur
Harold was raised by his Aunt, who came to Millarville,
in 1890. He was born on February 14, 1887 in Columbus, Georgia,
U.S.A. and died in 1975. He was married at Okotoks in 1913
to Nora Seeman, who was born in London, England and died
on April 26, 1926 at Calgary, Alberta. They had eight children.
Harold worked for the Quirk ranch in 1905 and homesteaded
the NW 1/4 34-20-3-W5th. In 1913 he moved to E 1/2 35-19-4-W5th.
In 1925 he started to work for Imperial Oil Company and
later purchased land in the Big Valley area, where he spent
the rest of his life.
Smith, Henry Havelock
Henry and his wife were in Pincher Creek in 1890. He was
born on December 16, 1857 at Dalhousie, N.B. and died at
Pincher Creek, in 1904. He was married to Beatrice Balfour
Henorita Miles, who was born in Ireland and died in l9lO
(11) at Owen Sound, Ontario. They had three children.
Smith, James Greaveson
James came from Kirkfield, Ontario in 1882, with the construction
crew of the CPR. He was born at Rochdale, Yorkshire, England
on April 4, 1846 and died at Calgary, in1931. In 1871, at
Uxbridge, Ontario he married Matilda Catherine Schell (Shell),
who was born at Uxbridge in 1852 and died at Innisfail,
in 1916. Matilda's father had come to Ontario in 1789. James
and Matilda had 10 children. The Smith's settled at Innisfail
in 1890 and James was an active member of the Masonic Lodge.
Smith, Jasper (Buck)
Buck was an Indian Trader and thought to have been in
the West as early as 1863. He was born in Alabama, U.S.A
in 1839 and died at Fernie, B.C. in 1910. He was married
at Calgary, in 1886. Buck issured rations at the signing
of Treaty No.7. In 1878 he built a sod roofed cabin that
became the first school house. In 1884, he built a large
storey and 1/2 Way House at High River. In 1886, he built
and operated a Cable and Windlass Ferry. After 1900, he
and his wife moved to Elko, BC. where Mrs. Smith died a
few years later. Buck lost his life in a timber fire near
Fernie, B.C. in 1910.
Smith, Joseph Mitchell
Joseph Smith was in Red Deer in 1888. He was born in 1860
at Selma, Nova Scotia. and died there in 1906. He was married
in 1899 at Truro,N.S. to Carrie Grant, who was born in 1868
at Truro and died in 1928 at Red Deer, Alberta. They had
three children. He homesteaded in Waskasoo district, near
Red Deer. In 1893 he moved to Red Deer and operated a livery
barn. On a trip to Nova Scotia with his family, Joseph contracted
typhoid fever and died there.
Smith, Joseph William
Joseph was in Fort Macleod in 1887. He was born 28 February,
1856 at Watford, Ontario anddied 8 March, 1929 at Calgary,
Alberta. He was married in 1883 at Warwick Village, Ontario
to Mary Maxfield, who was born 2 September, 1860 at Warwick
Village and died 14 July, 1938 at Calgary, Alberta. They
had seven children.
M.W. Smith and R.T. Christie ranched in partnership at
Fort Macleod in 1888. His cattle ranged on the Lime Kiln
Bottom, along the Old Man River. The brand was registered
Smith, Orville H.
Orville was an Indian Trader, in partnership with Lafayette
French in 1877. They were bought out by the Indian Department
in 1879. He moved to High Crossing from the Blackfoot Crossing
and built a Stopping House and acquired cattle, using the
0 H brand. He established a ranch farther up the Highwood,
which with the 0 H brand, was sold to Fred Ings in 1883.
In the late 1890s he sold his Stopping House to Shorty McLaughlin
and the Smith family moved to Buffalo Lake and later to
Hardisty. Orville was born in Missouri, U.S.A. and died
in the Hardisty district. He was married to Pocemi Skinas.
Richard was in Cochrane in 1889. He was born 27 December,
1858 in England and died 3 March, 1902 at Calgary. He was
married 27 January, 1889 at Seven Oaks, England to Amy Ellen
Comber (Brown), who was born in England and died 9 November,
1946 at Didsbury, Alberta. They had three children. Richard
was a butler at the Cochrane ranch. In 1892 he took over
the Mitford Hotel. The family moved to the Dog Pound area,
calling their ranch "Virginia". After Richard's
death, Amy returned to England and trained as a mid-wife.
She returned to Cochrane in 1903 and married Charles Brown
on November 4, 1904 and they lived in Didsbury.
Smith, Robert Patterson
Robert was in the Gleichen, Strathmore area in 1883. Robert
came from Scotland when he was 15 years of age. He worked
for the CPR from 1883 to 1896. He was born 26 May, 1855
at Dundee, Scotland and died 20 March, 1941 at Calgary,
Alberta. He was married at Jarvis, Ontario. His wife was
born 3 February, 1872 at Nottingly, Yorkshire, England and
died at Calgary in July of 1953. They had two children.
After leaving the CPR, Robert joined the N.W.M.P serving
under Col. Saunders until 1905. He was employed by the Calgary
School Board and remained in their employ until retirement
at age 75.
Ruben was in Calgary in 1887. He was born 23 September,
1870 at London, England and died 11 April, 1958 at Calgary,
Alberta. He was married in 1896 at Calgary, to Jane Sarah
Murray, who was born 3 March, 1877 at Sturgeon Creek, Manitoba
and died 17 May, 1949 at Calgary, Alberta. They had five
Soley, Sigvart Jorgenson
Sigvart came to Calgary in 1886 with the Eau Claire Sawmill.
He was born 1 July, 1860 at Sanengen, Norway and died 31
May, 1929 at Calgary, Alberta. He married Anna Marie Ness,
at Eau Claire, Wisconsin, U.S.A. who was born 10 April,
1858 and died 9 June, 1906 at Calgary, Alberta. The eldest
daughter, Alma Teresa, was born at Eau Claire and eight
children were born at Calgary. Sigvart was a carpenter and
worked on many houses that were built on 12 Avenue S.E.,
which were close to what was later the Isolation Hospital.
Sigvart homesteaded in the Shepard area. Mrs. Soley and
Mrs. Conrad Anderson, of Shepard, were sisters.
Mr. and Mrs. James Somerville came to the Calgary area
in 1889. James was born in 1829 and died 30 October, 1890.
He was married in 1851 at Litchfield, Quebec to Anne Findlay,
who was born in 1829 and died 9 January, 1893 at DeWinton.
They had seven children, three of whom lived in the Calgary
James Somerville was born in 1852 at Litchfield, Quebec
and died on 15 May 1931 at Calgary. James came to the Calgary
area prior to the arrival of his parents James and Anne
Somerville in 1889.
William Somerville died in 1898 during the Kiondike Gold
Rush. He farmed in the DeWinton area in 1889 prior to going
to the Yukon.
Mr. Soules was in Calgary in 1884 in association with
Parrish & Company, established in 1844 by Samuel Parrish
of Brandon, Manitoba, with premises on Stephen Avenue. A
flour and feed store, also selling provisions, principally
vegetables. He was the manager. A Travis appointee to Town
Council in 1886.
As a widow, Elizabeth Spalding, came to Winnipeg, in 1880,
to Medicine Hat by rail, continuing by wagon, to High River,
in 1883. She was born at Blarigowrie, Scotland, in 1826
and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1905. She had three children.
Elizabeth took up land along the Little Bow in 1885. This
property was sold to Bob Shaw and she moved to Victoria.
Sparrow, Angus Charles
Angus Sparrow was in the Calgary area in 1881. He was
born at Ottawa, Ontario in 1854 and died at Calgary, Alberta
in June, 1912. He was married 26 September, 1877 at Ottawa
to Harriet Ann Mooney, who was born 6 August, 1855 at Ottawa
and died 26 November, 1914 at Calgary. They had 11 children.
Angus was a prosperous rancher and cattle buyer for Gordon
Ironside & Fares, of Winnipeg. His homestead house was
built of brick from the Collins brick yard at Cochrane.
He owned three ranches, the Sparrow ranch (Pine Creek Ranch),
located at Red Deer (Lloyd) Lake, near Midnapore, the Hippo
ranch, south of Strathmore, near the Blackfoot reserve and
which he shared with John Lee Johnson and the Bottrel Ranch,
near Dog Pound, north of Cochrane.
Charles was in Calgary in 1884. He came west with his
son, Leon, travelling the last part of the way by ox cart.
He was Secretary Treasurer of the first Town Council in
1884. Charles was the proprietor of Calgary's first Butcher
shop. Towards the end of the century, he went to live on
V-V (Vee Bar Vee) ranch, north of Atlee.
Harry worked on the High River Horse Ranch. He farmed
the Charlie Splading's place in 1887 with Billy Henry. He
homesteaded west of the Charlie Knox place in 1890. He sold
his holding to William Gardner in 1900 and returned to England
where he established Leyland Motors. Harry was born about
1868 in England and died there in 1943. His wife was Jessie
Albro. They had one child.
The Goddards came to Lethbridge in 1885.
(see also detailed
William was born in 1842, in Scotland and died at Lethbridge,
Alberta in 1907. He was married to Jane Gibb, in 1863 in
Scotland. She was born there in 1847 and died in 1925 at
Lethbridge. There were 14 in the family. William was a mining
engineer and was engaged by Sir Alexander Galt to come to
the West to prospect and start the Coal developments for
the North West Coal and Navigation Company. He selected
Coalbanks as the site for the mines. Most of the miners
were associates of Stafford in Nova Scotia and had come
to Lethbridge on his advice. Fort Macleod - 1881
Thomas was at Calgary in 1886. He was born in 1866. at
Georgetown, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1955. He was
married in 1893 at Calgary to Kate Lavinia Bolt who was
born in 1875 in London, England and died at Calgary in 1946.
Thomas settled in the Priddis district and raised a family
of 13 children.
William came to Calgary in 1886. He was born at Georgetown,
Ontario in 1851 and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1920. At Port
Elgin, in 1876, he married Ellen Maria Greer, who was born
there in 1857 and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1921. There
were five children: Joseph, Christopher Greer, William C.
Francis Greer, and Mary Ellen. The Standish homestead was
what is now Blackfoot Trail and 82nd Avenue S.E. The family
later moved to the Priddis area. William was in demand as
a sheep shearer. He also built a revolving table, for use
in mining camps. Mrs. Standish was a mid-wife and very much
in demand as well. She delivered 106 babies, all but nine,
before the doctor arrived.
Richard came to Calgary in 1875 and helped to whipsaw
lumber for the N.W.M.P. barracks. He was born at Toronto,
Ontario in 1850 and died in 1942 at Calgary, Alberta. He
married Jennie Johnstone, in 1889 at Fort Benton, Montana,
U.S.A. She was born at Montreal, Quebec in 1865 and died
at Calgary in 1940. There were seven children in the family,
all being born at Fort Benton. He freighted for the I.G.
Baker Co. between Fort Macleod and Fort Benton, and he drove
a wagon for Sam Livingston, bringing back goods from Fort
Benton and was there for a number of years. In 1903 he sold
his ranch at Fort Benton and moved his family to the Priddis
district. He served on the Priddis Council from 1908 to
1921. He retired to Calgary in 1926.
Starkes, Ralph Eugene
Ralph came to Medicine Hat in 1886. Raiph was born in
Iowa, U.S.A. in 1866 and died at Medicine Hat, Alberta in
1929. In 1884 at Birds Hill, Manitoba, he married Sara Burton
who died in 1910 at Medicine Hat. In 1912, at Toronto, Ontario
he married Olga Louise Evans, who was born in 1882 at Bolton,
Ontario and died at Calgary in 1982. There were four children
in the family. Mr Starkes was Chief Train Dispatcher for
the CPR. He later ranched in the Medicine Hat area.
Stedman, Thomas Archie (Harry)
Harry enlisted with the N.W.M.P. and came to Fort Macleod
in 1875, by way of the Missouri River and Fort Benton, Montana.
After his discharge he returned to Montreal Quebec and remained
there for five years. In 1883 he returned to Fort Macleod
and was in the Hotel and Livery business. He built the Queen's
Hotel, a wooden structure and in 1903, replaced it with
sandstone from the Genge Quarry. Harry was born in Ontario
and died in 1930 at Fort Macleod, Alberta. He married a
Miss Pelletier at Fort Macleod in 1885. They had two children.
Stedman, Thomas Hatchford
Thomas was born at Hampshire, England and was married
at Fort Macleod in 1885 to Thias Madawaska. There were two
children in the family. Thomas was educated in England and
studied for the Medical profession. He came to Canada and
joined the N.W.M.P. in 1874. He served in Saskatchewan for
three years. After his discharge in 1877, he moved to Montana
and ranched. In 1883 he returned to Fort Macleod and was
proprietor of the Queen's Hotel. He was Mayor of Fort Macleod
from 1912-1914. Chairman of Trustees of Holy Cross School.
Mr. Steele came to Lethbridge in 1885. He was born October
25, 1864. He died in November, 1952.
Steele, Samuel Benfield C.B.; M.V.O.
Samuel Steele was at Fort Macleod in 1876 with the N.W.M.P.
He was born in 1849 at Simcoe Co. Ontario and died in England
in 1919. He was married at Vaudreuil, Quebec in 1890 to
Elizabeth Harwood. Sam had many years of distinguished service
in the Military and N.W.M.P. He was in the Fenian Raids,
Superintendent of the N.W.M.P. during the Riel Rebellion
and then he was posted to the summits of White's Pass and
Chilkoot Pass during the Klondyke Gold Rush. Sam was decorated
by Queen Victoria and Edward VII. He had a family of three:
Flora, Gertrude, and Harwood.
John came to Fort Macleod in 1885. He was born at Paisley,
Ontario in 1849 and died in 1921 at Fort Macleod, Alberta.
He married Jane Grier in 1877 at Wiarton, Ontario and she
died at Fort Macleod in 1948. Jane was born at Grierville,
Ontario in 1852. The family farmed in the Fort Macleod district.
Stephansson, Stephen Gudmundson
Stephen came to Markerville in 1889. He was born in Iceland
in 1853 and died at Markerville, Alberta in 1927. He was
married in Wisconsin, U.S.A. in 1878 to Helga S. Johnson.
She was born in Iceland in 1859 and died in 1940 at Markerville.
There were six children in the family. Stephen was an internationally
known poet. Their residence, at Markerville, is an historic
Joseph came to Tindastoll, (now Markerville) in 1889.
He was born in Iceland in 1854 and died at Victoria, B.C.
in 1947. He married Jose Gundrun Missima at Winnipeg, Manitoba
in 1885. She was born in 1862 in Iceland and died in 1948
at Victoria, B.C. They had three children.
Stewart, Alexander Grant
Alexander homesteaded at Davisburg in 1885 and 10 years
later moved to Gladys Ridge where he raised pure bred short
horn cattle. He was born at Clarenceville, Quebec in 1867
and died at High River, Alberta in 1955. At Davisburg in
1896 he married Martha Suitor, who was born in 1876 at Leeds,
Quebec and died in High River in 1956. There were seven
children. Alexander worked for the CPR at 15 years of age.
Stewart, Elizabeth (nee Bruce)
Elizabeth, with her son Irvine came to Calgary in 1886.
Elizabeth was born in Ireland and died at Calgary, Alberta
in 1917. She was married in Ireland. It is believed she
married again to a man named Thompson and lived in the Sunnyside
district of Calgary. Irvine, the son, learned the trade
of saddle making and was employed by Great West Saddlery
Stewart, George A.
A Government surveyor who surveyed the Townsite of Banff,
Alberta in 1887 and was Park Superintendent.
Stewart, Henry McKeown
Henry came to Medicine Hat in 1884. He was born in 1858
in Ireland and died in 1931 at Medicine Hat, Alberta. In
1889, at Medicine Hat he married Lucinda Florence Bassett,
who was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1869 and died in 1966
at Medicine Hat. There were six children in the family.
Stewart, Captain John
John was involved in the development of the Coal mines
at Anthracite and Canmore, Alberta. In 1878, he was instrumental
in the formation of the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards,
to escort Princess Louise. The Stewart Ranching Co. at Pincher
Creek, was established in 1881 and then he operated a Stage
Coach between Calgary and Fort Macleod in 1885. He formed
and commanded the Rocky Mountain Rangers, during the Riel
Rebellion. He was born in 1854 at Ottawa, Ontario and died
in 1893 at Calgary. He was married to Isabel Skead in 1887
at Ottawa, Ontario.
Stewart, John Hay and Irene
Born in Dundee, Scotland about 1837, John died in 1900.
He married Irene E. Purkiss who was born at Holland Landing,
Ontario about 1847, and died about 1910. There were four
children. John and Irene came from Ontario in 1884 to settle
Morris worked on the construction of the CPR. His wife
(second marriage) joined him in Winnipeg, Manitoba and they
followed the CPR in an ox cart, spending the winter of 1882
in a tent. The family opened a Stopping Place just below
the Hoodoos. In 1885 they went to Davisburg, where they
farmed and raised cattle. Morris was born in 1831 at Banffshire,
Scotland and died in 1907 at Davisburg, Alberta. In 1853,
in Scotland, he was married to Mary Morrison who was born
in Scotland and died in Missisquuia Co. Quebec, in 1867.
His second marriage was to Agnes Catherine Ross in 1870
at Montreal, Quebec. She was born in 1855, on a British
ship in the Indian Ocean and died at Davisburg, Alberta
in 1907. There was a family of eight children.
Fred came west to manage the North West Cattle Co. and
later formed the Bar U Ranch in 1882. A lease was obtained
of 50,000 acres. Three thousand head of cattle were trailed
from Idaho, U.S.A. In 1900 the ranch was sold to George
Lane, Gordon Ironside and Fares. Fred went to Mexico where
Stocken, Rev. Cannon Harry William
Rev. Cannon was at the Blackfoot Reserve, Gleichen, Alberta,
in 1885. Rev. Stocken was ordained in 1887 at the Pro-Cathedral,
Calgary, Alberta and was the Minister in 1888 at St. Paul's
Anglican Church, Fish Creek. Rev. Stocken was born in 1858
in England and died in 1955 at Victoria, B.C. In 1887, at
Winnipeg, Manitoba, he was married to Catherine Dobie, who
was born in 1859 in England and died in 1892 on the Sarcee
Reserve, Calgary, Alberta. His second marriage was to Gertrude
Ellen Cox in 1897 at Nagasaki, Japan. Gertrude was born
in 1862 in England and died in 1906 on the Blackfoot Reserve,
Gleichen, Alberta. They had three children.
Stockton, James Henry (Doc)
Doc came to Fort Macleod in 1887. Doc was born in 1870
at Kentville, N.S. and died in 1962 at Camrose, Alberta.
He was married to Victoria H. Dougherty (nee Badder). He
was a carpenter by trade and continued in the building business.
He operated second hand stores in Fort Macleod. There were
Stockton, Thomas G.
Thomas came to Fort Macleod with the second contingent
of N.W.M.P. in 1887. He was born in England in 1870 and
died in 1941. He was married in 1898, at Fort Macleod to
Ida Storey, who was from Kempville, Ontario. They had four
children. After taking his discharge in 1888 he did carpentry
work. He later moved to the McBride Lake district to farm.
Stoddart, George T.
George came to Calgary in 1886 with the CPR Express. He
was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1858 and died in Calgary
in 1940. In 1890, at Calgary, he married Carolyn McBride,
who was born in 1868 at London, Ontario and died in 1945
at Calgary. There were three children in the family.
Storey, James G.
James Storey was in the area before 1890.
Mr. Stovall came to the Lethbridge district in 1885.
Strange, General Thomas Bland
General Strange established the MCC Ranch, on the Little
Bow in 1884 after a long military career that spanned from
1851 to 1885. He was born in 1831 at Meerat, India and died
in 1925 in England. He was married in 1860 to Elinor Maria
Taylor and in 1918 to Janet (Fell) Ruxton. They had five
children. General Strange also commanded the Alberta Field
Force in the Rebellion of 1885.
Mr. Street was a Juryman at the Fiske murder trial in
1889 at Calgary.
Anne Strom was at Medicine Hat in 1890.
Theodore came to Calgary in 1886. He was born in 1866
in Norway and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1941. He was married
at Calgary in 1894 to Augusta Johnson, who was born in 1868,
in Sweden and died at Calgary in 1936. They had two children.
Theodore was a Mechanical Engineer, employed by Eau Claire
Lumber. He later became involved with the generation of
electricity for the City of Calgary.
Frank homesteaded east of Fort Macleod. He became head
Stockman for the I.G. Baker Co. prior to 1881. Frank was
born in 1856 and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1889. In 1881,
at Fort Benton, Montana, U.S.A he married Margaret Pratt.
They had one daughter. He was in partnership with D.W. Davis
for a time.
Struthers, John A.
John came to Fort Macleod and worked for the Hudson Bay
Co. in 1890. He was born at Elora, Ontario and died in 1937
at Fort Macleod, Alberta. John was married in Winnipeg,
Manitoba in 1894. He and his brother opened a Dry Geods
store at Fort Macleod. In 1930, he expanded his business
interests by buying the Ladies Wear and Millinery store
from Miss Wilson.
Stuttaford, John Moorehouse
John was a tailor for the early N.W.M.P. contingents,
in 1874. He was later transferred to Fort Walsh, Alberta.
In 1886 he moved back to Fort Macleod. John was born in
1843, at Cornwall, England and died in 1927 at Fort Macleod,
Alberta. He married Barbara Jane Peyton, in 1877, who was
born in Ireland. They had three children.
Suitor, David Sr.
David suffered from asthma and came west to visit his
two sons, where his health improved so much that in 1890
he took a homestead at W1/2 22-21-28-W4th at Gladys. David
was born in 1832 at County Cork, Ireland and died at Gladys,
in 1916. In 1855 at Sylvestre, Quebec he married Mary McKeage,
who was born in 1838 at Brougton, Quebec and died at Gladys
in 1923. They had 11 children.
Sullivan, John J.
John moved to Sullivan Creek, now Bews farm, in 1888. He
was married in 1887 by Father Lacombe, to Barbara Harkley.
John was a Placier Miner in Montana. He then trailed cattle,
settling on land which later became R.A. Wallace property.
In 1894 Mrs Sullivan and three children contracted diptheria.
Mrs. Sullivan survived but the children died. There were
four children born later. Mrs. Sullivan died at High River,
William worked as a Brakeman for the CPR until the railroad
reached Calgary in 1883. In 1886 he worked for the Bar U
Ranch, then in partnership with David Bryant, he operated
a Stopping House at Mosquito Creek. William was born in
Australia in 1860 and died at Nanton, Alberta in 1933. In
1898 he went to the Yukon, where he spent 23 years driving
stage coaches. In 1923 he returned and drove a chuckwagon
in the Calgary Stampede.
Swaffer, Herbert Hart
Herbert came to Calgary, Alberta in 1885. He was born in
1861 at Kent, England and died at Cloverdale, B.C. in 1951.
Herbert married Matilda Alice Henry, at Calgary in 1893.
She was born in 1869 at Charlottetown, P.E.I. and died at
Cloverdale in 1929. They had five children: Hazel I., Dorothy,
Vera, Thelma, and Frank H.
Thomas came to Calgary, Alberta in 1884. He was a member
of the Civic Committee in Calgary.
Swanson, Venerable Archdeacon Cecil
Archdeacon Swanson was born in 1889 at London, England
and died in 1984 at Calgary, Alberta. He married Enid Shuiber
of Erindale, Ontario. They had three daughters in their
family. "Swanny" was ordained in Dawson City in
1913 and remained in the North until 1922. He was a member
of the General Synod from 1927 until his retirement in 1960
and was Prolocutor of the Lower House from 1953 to 1960.
Archdeacon Cecil Swanson was Honorary Padre of the Southern
Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendents.