Pioneer Profiles : W



Wagstaff, Charles

Charles Wagstaff was born in England in 1863 and came to Canada at the age of eighteen. He worked on the construction of the C.P.R. in 1883, and was married to Sarah Cotton in Medicine Hat in 1889. They had three daughters. Mr. Wagstaff was an engineer for forty years. He died at Medicine Hat.

 

Waines, Edward

(see also detailed post-publication profile)

Edward Waines was born at St. Catherines, Ontario in 1861 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1948. He came to Calgary in 1886, and settled in the Springbank area, sixteen miles west of Calgary. He was one of the first breeders of shorthorn cattle in the Northwest Territories. Edward married Jeanette Beveridge, daughter of another Calgary pioneer family. She died in 1916, leaving four young children which he raised alone. In 1910, Edward retired from ranching, and moved into Calgary where he resided until his death at age 86. Edward Waines rode with the Southern Alberta Pioneer section of the Stampede parade every year until 1947.

Submitted by Doreen Stan, (Waines)

Waite, Joseph Thomlinson

Joseph Waite came to Millarville in 1887. He was born in Australia in 1861 and died at Calgary in 1921. In 1911 at Calgary, he married Esther Jane Reddett. They had four children.

 

Wakeford, William

William Wakeford came from Walkerton, Ontario to the Gladys district in 1889. He sold his farm in the in 1899 and moved to Clover Bar, Alberta where he farmed and later retired to Edmonton. There were three daughters and one son in his family.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Gladys-Dinton through the years.

Walker, Harry

Harry Walker was born in England in 1859. He married Elizabeth and they arrived in Calgary in 1888. Harry worked at the Chipman Ranch and in the 1890s filed on SE1/4 2-24-2-W5th where he raised good quality cattle and sheep. Mr. Walker died in 1931.

 

Walker, James

(see also detailed post-publication profile)

James Walker was born in 1846 at Carluke, Ontario. He joined the original North West Mounted Police and assisted in choosing the horses for the march west. He was Commanding Officer at Fort Battleford when Sitting Bull and his men arrived after the Custer massacre. He married Euphemia Davidson Quarrie in 1876 at Gait, Ontario. James Walker was the first manager of the Cochrane Ranch formed in 1881-1882. In 1882 he took over a sawmill built by the Cochrane Ranch Company, and also established a farm east of Calgary (part of which is now the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary). The Bow River Saw and Planing Mills supplied much of the lumber for the new community. A prominent Calgarian, he was instrumental in establishing Calgary's first school district in 1885 and served as chairman or trustee until 1913. He was elected chairman of the first civic council, was president of the first agricultural society and director of the first General Hospital. He organized the home guard during the 1885 Riel Rebellion, was Lt. Col. of the 15th Light Horse 1905-1911 and during W.W.1 served overseas as the Commanding Officer of the Canadian Forestry Corps. In 1975, Col Walker was chosen as Calgary's Citizen of the Century. He died in 1936. The Walker's only son, William James Selby established the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.

Submitted by M. Lynas

Walker, Jesse Bailey

Jesse Walker was a charter member in 1888, of the Lethbridge North Star Masonic Lodge, No. 4.

2004 Addendum.

Walker, John A.

John Walker was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, Bow River No. 1, Calgary which was instituted in 1884.

2004 Addendum.

Walker, Madge

Madge Walker, from Aberdeen, Scotland, took over as a school teacher in High River, S.D. #144 in 1889, replacing Mr. John Blair.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.

Walker, William J.

William Walker who had previously resided in Winnipeg in 1878 and Edmonton in 1881, came to Calgary in 1883 and ranched in the area.. He was founder and President of the Great North Insurance Co.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Wallace, Frank

Frank Wallace was with Col. Macleod at the signing of Treaty No.7 at Blackfoot Crossing.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Scarlet and Gold, Boswells historical note, Seventh Annual, p. 48.

Wallace, Jim

Jim Wallace traveled from Idaho to NWT with his wife, two children, a hired man and 222 head of horses, in 1889. They ranched south of Lethbridge until 1910, when they moved to Manyberries where he partnered with Walter Ross. The ranch continued to grow with the addition of the Cross Z, the Spencer, and in 1920 the J.J. Bowlens Q Ranches. They had one son Jeff who was born in Alberta.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Forgotten Corner.

Wallace, Richard Alfred

Richard Wallace was born in 1861 in Ontario and married Ellen Martin in Ottawa in 1886. They had four children. Mr. Wallace came by rail to Medicine Hat in 1883, then the end of the steel, and he freighted to High River with bull teams. When Ellen Wallace came to Calgary in 1886, she was met by her husband with a team and wagon to make the trip to High River. For many years afterward they made the same trip with team and wagon. Richard Wallace died in 1935 at High River.

 

Wallace, Robert

Robert Wallace was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885.

2004 Addendum.

Wallis, Arthur E. and Olivia L.

Arthur Wallis was born at London, England in 1845 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1905. He came to Alvingston, Ontario as a young boy and in 1873 married Olivia L. Lovell. She was born in 1854 at Oshawa, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1945. They had two sons, Harold W. and Everest A. In 1886, Arthur came west with a shipment of cattle to the Porcupine Hills and formed the Wallis and Lucas Cattle Company. In 1888 he and his family homesteaded on Nose Creek Hill, the SE1/4 24-1-W5th for 12 years. They later moved into Calgary to 122 Angus Avenue, the present site of the Petro Canada building.

submitted by B. McClelland

 

Wallock, Nathan

Nathan Wallock came from Bury, England to Coalbanks in 1885. He had the first house north of Lethbridge and the first dairy in the community. Nathan also worked in the coal mines. He had four children: James, Ellen, Walter and Amy.

 

Wallwork, James W.

James Wallwork, a locomotive engineer, came to Lethbridge in 1886.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Wallwork, Nathan

Mr. and Mrs. Wallwork came to Winnipeg in 1883 from England. Nathan worked on the telegraph line from Dunmore to Lethbridge and Fort Macleod in 1885. The family came in 1886 to Lethbridge. They bought eight acres and built their home on what is now thirteenth street north. They were one of the first milk vendors in town. They had four children: James, Ellen, Walter and Amy.

 

Walsh, Major James Morrow

After the disappearance of the buffalo in the late 1870s, the government was faced with bands of starving Indians. On the recommendation of Major Walsh a government farm and Indian Reserve was established near the Moody Ranch. From 1879 to 1885 crops froze so Piapots band were anxious to move onto a small reserve near Maple Creek.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 60.

Walsh, Joseph

Joseph Walsh was born in 1863 at Toronto, Ontario and came to Calgary in 1882. He married Mary Elizabeth Francis at Calgary in 1890. They had four children. Joseph Walsh died at Fort Steele, B.C. in 1922.

 

Walsh, Richard

Richard Walsh, born in Bradford, England in 1863, came with his parents to Moosomin in 1881. He freighted for the CPR and was a member of Steele's Scouts. He and his family came to Calgary in 1886, and in 1889 he took up a homestead in Madden. While proving up his homestead he worked for Pat Burns in Calgary and in Banff. He met Laura Wilson in Banff he married her there in the Methodist Church in 1891. They had eight children. Richard died in 1945 and Laura died in 1951.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 714.

Walsh, Richard, Senior

Richard Walsh came to Calgary in 1886. He was born in England in 1833 and died there in 1916. He married Mary Lowcock and they had four children.

 

Walson, Charles

Mr. Walson came to Calgary in 1886. He married Bessie and they had three children, all born in Calgary. Charles Walson was a merchant.

 

Walters, Green

Green Walters, a black man, rode with the trail herds coming up from Idaho with one of Tom Lynch's trail herds to Alberta in 1883. He worked for the Oxley, the Bar-U and was long associated with the CC Ranch. Walters was a great round-up cook and ran a tight wagon. While on the CC Ranch, he started a small herd of his own using the Ox Yoke brand. Around 1890 Walters settled along the North Fork of the Highwood River and built a cabin, where he had previously cut logs and rails for the Bar U Ranch. He brought his few head of cattle with him and was getting a good start on a herd when he badly froze his feet and had to have most of his toes amputated. This made it impossible to walk and put an end to his ranching career. He sold out and returned south to Kansas, where he spent the rest of his days.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree. p. 444. Frontier Cowboys and the Great Divide: Early Ranching in BC and Alberta

Walters, James L.

James Walters was born in 1867 at 105 Mile House, B.C. and died in 1946 at Calgary. He was married twice and had eight children. His first wife was Harriet Radcliffe and the second was Beryl. James L. Walters and Sons were well known Shorthorn breeders and exhibited for many years.

 

Ward, Albert W.

Albert Ward came to the Dogpound Ranching area in 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Sherwell Garton Roper-Ward.

Ward, George

George Ward was a guide and packer for the CPR in the early 1880s. In 1886 he filed on a homestead in the Tongue Creek district where he resided for several years. He was a successful farmer and in 1891 on a 50 acre parcel he recorded a crop yield of 50 bushels to the acre. It was threshed with a horse powered thresher that required 12 horses to supply the power. He died in Banff in 1898.

2004 Addendum.

Ward, Lewis Palmer

Lewis Ward was born in 1862 in England and died in 1930 at Victoria, B.C. He married Agnes Bracken in 1883 at Newberry, Ontario and they had six children. Lewis and Agnes Ward came to Laggan (Lake Louise) in 1889.

 

Ward, Talbot

Talbot Ward was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.

2004 Addendum.

Wardman

Wardman and Vere from Lethbridge, arrived at Rock Creek in the Pincher Creek area in the 1880s.

2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 10-12.

Wardman, Tom

Tom Wardman came to Lethbridge in 1890. He was born in 1866 in England and died at Lethbridge in 1962. In 1893 at Brandon, he married Mary Ann Bradley. They had five children. Tom worked as a section man at Keith and was also in the mines at Lethbridge, before working with the C.P.R. at Canmore as a wiper.

 

Ware, John

John Ware was born in 1860 in Texas. John and his trail partner, Billy Moody, were hired in Idaho to help trail a herd of cattle coming to Fort Macleod and High River in 1882. Later, he worked at the Bar-U and then at the Quorn ranch. In 1889 he established his own ranch located near Millarville, where a plaque commemorates his place with his cabin declared a historic site. In 1892 he married Mildred Jane Lewis of Shepard. They had six children. John Ware was famed as a Black cowboy. He died in 1905 as a result of a fall with his horse that stumbled in a gopher hole. He was buried at Calgary.

Merged with 2004 Addendum.

Warnock, James Dolloff

James Warnock came to Morley with a cattle drive in 1880. He was born in 1853 in Bruce County, Ontario and died in 1948. He was married to Barbara Ann Dresser at the Indian Mission Church at Morley in 1888. They had one daughter Florence. James Warnock homesteaded back of the Morley Trail.

 

Warren, Falkland F.

Constable Warren was a member of the NWMP stationed at Fort Carlton, Fort Macleod and Lethbridge. Following service in the Boer War, he was promoted to Captain. Falkland Warren was married to a Miss Coe, who was born in England. She was the first teacher in Lethbridge, preceding the Lethbridge school district.

 

Warren, John Cook

John Warren came to Calgary in 1886 and homesteaded at Millarville. He was born in 1855 at Carleton Place, Ontario and died at Nanton in 1928. He married Isabelle Pierce in Pembroke, Ontario and they had five children.

 

Wathen, Alfred Herbert

Alfred Wathen, born near London, England in 1863, came to Canada and joined the NWMP at Toronto and took his training at Regina and Fort Macleod and later was stationed at Okotoks from 1885 to 1890. In 1890 he married Mary Cameron and they raised nine children. He homesteaded in the Allan district on SE ¼ of Sec.34-19-1-W5M where he farmed until 1928 when he moved into Okotoks. Mary died in 1920 and Albert died in 1943.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.

Watson, Eugene

Eugene Watson was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.

2004 Addendum.

Watson, Robert William

Robert Watson was born at Stellerton, N.S. in 1865 and died at Lethbridge in 1940. He came to Lethbridge in 1885. In 1889 at Lethbridge he married Janet Kerr. They had nine children.

 

Watson, Saunders

Saunders Watson came with his family to the Pine Creek district in the early 1880s, where they operated a stopping house. He was the first Post Master of Pine Creek, a position he held from 1887 to 1889.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.

Watt, Frank

Frank Watt was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, Bow River No. 1, Calgary which was instituted in 1884.

2004 Addendum.

Watt, Francis (Frank) Alexander

Frank Watt, born in Guelph, Ontario in 1865, came to Calgary in 1889. He was employed for many years he was associated with the NWT government as a building contractor and while also working for John Lineham's sawmill in Okotoks. Later he moved to a homestead on the Big Hill Water Reserve west of High River where he experimented with grains and was the first to grow wheat this far west. He raised fine horses and always had an excellent garden. He married Alice Wilson in 1899 and they raised a family of four sons and five daughters. Francis died in 1946 and Mrs. Watt died in 1959.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 413, and Tales & Trails - Longview.

Watt, Walter Langmuir

Mr. Watt came to Calgary in 1877. He was born at Kincardine, Ontario in 1866 and died at High River in 1942. Walter married Louisa Anne Seibert in 1903 and they had eight children.

 

Webb, Francis

Francis Webb served twenty-one years in the British Army and he and his family came to Calgary in 1887. He was born in England and died at Ashcroft, B.C. There were ten children: six of them died at birth and two daughters died in 1893. Francis Webb farmed until 1895 and then the family moved to B.C.

 

Webster, George H.

George Webster came to Calgary with the C.P.R. in 1883. He worked for Senator Patrick Burns until he went into business for himself. George was born in 1868 in England and died at Calgary in 1933. In 1895 at Winnipeg, Manitoba, he was married to May Amanda Calder. They had five children. George Webster was mayor of Calgary from 1922-1926. He then became a Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly at Edmonton.

 

Weinard, Philip (Phil)

Philip Weinard, born in Prussia, emigrated to Minneapolis, in 1872, and later in 1879 left home to work on river boats. In 1882 he drove 8 yoke of oxen pulling nine tons of flour up the Whoop-Up Trail from Fort Benton to Fort Calgary. In 1888, having married Mary Ferris in Helena, Montana, they took up ranching on homestead land Philip had obtained on the Highwood River around 1883. They had six children. Mary and one son died of typhoid in 1909. After Mary's death he relocated down the river where he built the South Fork Trading Post. His second wife Miss Ausland died in 1917. Phil retired in 1926 and died September, 1941.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.

Wells, George

George Wells came to Medicine Hat in 1888.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.

Welsh, Alfred Peter

Alfred Welsh was born in 1858 at Somerset, England and died in 1940. He came to Calgary in 1883 and served with Steele's scouts during the Riel rebellion in 1885. In 1890 he married Alice Maud LeBagge, who died in 1904. She was from Waterford County, Ireland. They had four children: Arabella, Leonard, Helen and Harry. Alfred established his ranch on the Sheep Creek (Millarville area), the name being "Ardmore" after Alice's home in Ireland. The Welshes were very active in Christ Church, Millarville. In 1908, Alfred remarried. He and his wife, Edith had one daughter, Clodagh. In 1918 the ranch was sold to Thomas Barnes and they moved to Duncan, B.C.

 

Wenman, W.

Mr. W. Wenman, according to the SAPD minutes of Jan. 17, 1929, was reported to be at Blindman River, NWT in 1870, which is believed to be west of Innisfail, Alberta.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD files.

Wentworth, George

George Wentworth, a horse breeder, came to Calgary in 1886. SAPD membership application files

2004 Addendum.

Weston, Charles Augustus

Charles Weston came to High River and Canmore in 1886. He had one son.

 

Whitaker, Conis James

Conis Whitaker was recorded as a member of the Masonic Lodge, Bow River No. 1, Calgary in 1888

2004 Addendum.

Whitbread, Joe

Joe Whitbread was a quiet Englishman who came to the Quorn Ranch in 1889 to be employed as a stud groom. In 1900 when William Christie purchased most of the Quorn Ranch, Joe managed Christie Ranch on the Highwood River. He later moved to his own place that he had acquired earlier and still later he moved to Calgary where he worked for the Fire department. In 1918 he became a cattle inspector ot the stockyards until his retirement in 1938. He died in 1939, having been predeceased by his wife and two daughters.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree, p. 412.

White, Christopher

Christopher White, born in Perthshire, Scotland on December 13th, 1848. When Christopher was six years old the White family moved from Scotland to Wales. He came to Alberta with the construction of the CPR for whom he worked constructing buildings. He worked on the roundhouse in Gleichen, Alberta and in 1884 he moved to Calgary and worked as a foreman at Cushing Lumber. In 1885 with his brothers-in-law, J.J. and Evan Richards took up homesteads at Horn Hill and Clearview. He homesteaded NW1/4 22-37-27-W4th - Clearview district, east of Red Deer. His first wife, Ann Richards was born in Wales in August 23rd, 1859. They married in Winnipeg, Manitoba on October 15th, 1884. They had a family of two daughters and two sons. Ann White was the first white woman to live in the area. Christopher was the organizer of a school and was the chairman of the first school board. On two occasions he was awarded the Chicago Exhibition World's Best Wheat prize. They farmed until 1931, when they moved to Red Deer. Christopher and Ann White were active in the Methodist Church. Christopher died in Red Deer in September of 1942 at age 92. His wife Ann died in July of 1943 at age 84.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD files. Researched by Joan Davis.

White, Daniel C.

Daniel White was born in 1862 at Nash Creek, New Brunswick and died in 1909 at Cochrane. Daniel White came west with the C.P.R. and arrived at Banff in 1883 and was employed in the bridge building for the government. In 1902 he moved to Cochrane living in town but raising horses at Horse Creek. He was head of public works and the first overseer for the village of Cochrane after the incorporation in 1903.He returned to Jacquet River, N.B. to marry Margaret Archibald Carmichael in 1889. Margaret was born in 1867 at Jacquet River and died in 1961 at Lethbridge. They had three children: Estella, Gertrude and Hazel.

 

White, David

David White was a carpenter for the C.P.R. He had three sons, Henry, William and Stanley. He came to Calgary in 1883. David was born in Wales in 1867 and died at Calgary in 1948. His brothers were Christopher and William White.

 

White, Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth White was born in 1872 at Nash Creek, N.B. and came to Banff in 1890. She married Clifford Teasdale Jones, who was born at Liverpool N.S. in 1873 and died in 1948 at Calgary. They had six children: Myrtle, Ralph, Marion, Nora, Lillian and Eleanor.

 

White, Francis (Frank)

Frank White came to the Cochrane ranch as a bookkeeper in 1881 and later operated the Merino Ranch at Cochrane. He married Christina Ross and they had three children: Frank, William and Jessie. Christina died when the children were young. His second wife, Annie Anderson, he married in 1885. They had one son. Annie Anderson was born in 1853 and died in 1941. Frank White died in 1924 at Fernie B.C.

 

White, William

William White was born in 1861 in Wales and died at Calgary in 1940. He came to Calgary in 1883. He married Barbara Iverach in 1891. She was born in Scotland in 1859 and died at Calgary in 1944. They had four children: Marion, John, James and Janet. William White was in the construction business in Calgary for many years and was in partnership - Bennett and White Construction Limited until 1931. Bennett and White built the Glenmore Dam at Calgary.

 

White, William Henry

William White arrived in Fort Macleod with the NWMP in 1885.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD old membership card files.

Whitehead, Joseph

Mr. Whitehead was born at Leeds, England and came to Lacombe in 1879. He married Isabella Massu from Helensburg, England. They had nine children: James, Elizabeth, Ellen, George, William, Ida, Phoebe, Clara and Christson. All records, family bible, etc. were lost in a fire at Fernie, B.C. Joseph is buried at Stettler, Isabella died at Moyie, B.C.

 

Whitford, James

James Whitford, a halfbreed who had been a scout for Custer, married Mary Hergert on July 15, 1888 at Pincher Creek. Mary was a grandaughter of Chief Ermineskin who was a close friend of Father Lacombe. They lived at Pincher Creek until 1911 when moved to the Peace River district. They had four children. They returned south in 1918 to Lake Beauvais where he lived the remaining years of his life. Mary died in 1970 and is buried at Worsley in the Peace River.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 250.

Whitney, Albert

Mr. Whitney came to Lethbridge in 1883. He was born 1852 at Kingston, Ontario. Died in 1938. He walked to Fort Macleod from Coalbanks to join his brother William. He found work at the Whitney and Daly's sawmill in the Porcupine Hills. Later he went into freighting business and put up hay for the Mounted Police at Fort Macleod. He later established his own ranch at Kipp. Mrs. Whitney passed away in 1911. There were no. children.

 

Whitney, Benjamin

Benjamin Whitney was born in 1848 at Kingston, Ontario and came to Lethbridge in 1887. He married Mary Ann Patterson, who was born at Kingston in 1850 and died at Lethbridge in 1934. They had five children: William, Helena, Marion, Ethel and Frank Albert.

 

Whitney, David James

David Whitney was born in 1860 at Kingston, Ontario and came to Fort Macleod in 1882. He married Nancy Etta Hutton at Kingston, Ontario in 1886. They had four children: Nancy, Robert, Francis and David. David used The Square Hat brand - registered in 1885 to himself and Walter Whitney. He died in 1936 at Lethbridge, Alberta.

 

Whitney, Robert

Mr. Whitney came to the Porcupine Hills in 1882. He returned to Ontario and brought his bride back in 1886. Shortly thereafter he was killed in a haying accident.

 

Whitney, Walter D.

Walter came to Fort Macleod in 1883. He drove a team during the Riel Rebellion, then went ranching with his brother Dave near Fort Macleod . He married Emily Burrell on December 28, 1992. They had eight children. In 1916 while ploughing fire guards for the C.P.R. in the vicinity of Tempest, he suffocated in a camp wagon. They had a good fire going in the stove but insufficient ventilation.

 

Whitney, William D. (Curly)

William Whitney arrived in Fort Macleod in 1878. He was born in Pittsburg, Ontario 1850. Died in 1926. Curly joined the NWMP and served for three years. He married, Elizabeth Smyth in 1892, she died in 1936. Curly and A.H. Henry started the first livery stable and blacksmith at Lethbridge in 1898. Curly and James Ashcroft purchased the Sheran Mine. He had a ranch at Fort Whoop-Up and kept it until his death.

 

Whyte/White, David Macintosh

David Whyte was born in 1864, Doyle Settlement, Nash Creek, N.B. and came to Banff in 1884. Originally employed as a section foreman with the CPR he remained working with the CPR in the Banff area until 1894. He then left the CPR and purchased a building, a lot, some merchandise and thus became a General Merchant by opening his Park Store in October, 1894. He married Annie Curren in 1901 at Banff. She was born in 1880 in Scotland, They had four children: Clifford, Lila, Peter and David. Later his three sons, David Jr., Clifford and Peter were taken in as partners by 1930 and the business became known as Dave White and Sons. David operated his business under the name White because most of his customers spelled it that way. He died at Banff in 1940 and Annie died in 1955 at Vancouver, B.C.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Banff Crag & Canyon, 1935.

Wigmore, Sam

Sam Wigmore's name is affixed to the Cane of Rememberance which lists pioneers of southern Alberta, residing in the area prior to December 31, 1883. The 1975 Brand Book listed the Wigmore brand as being OX which was located on the left shoulder of both cattle and horses.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Cane of Remembrance, at Glenbow Museum.

Wilcock, Francis

Francis Wilcock and family, from Manitoba, arrived in the Pincher Creek area in 1883. They drove a bunch of dairy cows some 160 miles from the end of the steel at Medicine Hat. He established a mixed farm and tried growing fruit trees. He also grew and marketed garden rhubarb on a large scale and grew fall wheat successfully.

2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 36.

Wilde, Fred

Mr. Wilde came to Dunmore Junction in 1882. He was born at Oldham, England in 1855 and died in 1910 at Cranbrook, B.C. Mr. Wilde married Frances Middleton in 1890 at Banff. They had four children: Margaret and Elizabeth (twins) Wilfred and Hutton.

 

Wilder, Everard (Bert) Raphael

Everard Wilder, born of English and Irish parents in Chicago area, moved to Nebraska and then to Wyoming where he worked with the Powder River Cattle Co. His company put him in charge of driving one of four herds that were driven to Alberta in 1886. Following sale of his company he worked for the Bar U Ranch. He married Bertha Mott in 1895 and in 1898 they moved to the Flying E Ranch on Willow Creek. He later acquired a quarter north of High River where he fed cattle for both himself and for the Flying E Ranch. They had three children, John, Ruth and Helen. The Wilders lived in the High River district until their deaths.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.

Wildman, Moses

Moses Wildman, born in England in 1835, emigrated to Canada in the early 1800s and married Elizabeth Ann Young, who was also born in 1835 in Whitechurch, Ontario. In 1887 he left Ontario to seek homestead land in the west. He found suitable land at Little Red Deer Lake, and he then he brought out his family of four children, Marmaduke, Estella, Mary and Fred. Moses died in 1911 and Elizabeth died in 1917.

2004 Addendum.

Wilkin, Alfred John

Alfred Wilkin was born in 1837 at Tiptree, England. He and his wife Lucy Emma Rix with their four children came to Pine Creek in 1884. His second wife, Emily, was born in 1835 at London, England and died in 1913 at Calgary. Alfred John died in 1900 and is buried at Tunbridge, Wales.

 

Wilkin, Mary Katherine

Mary Wilkin was born in Japan in 1876 and died in Alberta in 1957. The family came to Canada in 1884 and ranched in the Red Deer Lake area. Mary accompanied her father back to Japan in 1894 where she remained until 1898. She then lived with her mother until the latter's death in 1913 after which she continued to run the ranch for many years.

 

Wilkins, Francis Edward

Francis Wilkins was born at St. Louis, U.S.A. and died in 1908 at Lacombe. With his brother, George, he homesteaded on the Golf Course at Red Deer in 1887. His widowed mother Frances E. Wilkins and sister Jean came to Red Deer to live with them in 1890. Francis Edward was the second member to represent Red Deer in the Territorial Assembly in 1891.

 

Wilkins, George

George Wilkins came with his brother Francis to homestead at Red Deer in 1887. He and his brother were joined by their mother and sister in 1890. George died at Victoria, B.C.

 

Willans, Norman

Norman Willans was born at Rochdale, Manchester, England in 1870. He was educated in Germany and came to Canada at fifteen years of age. He attended the Agricultural College at Guelph, Ontario. He came to Calgary in 1890 and worked on several ranches. His homestead was called the 'Anchordown Ranch' - South west of Priddis. He married Maud Deane-Freeman of Monea in 1898 at Christ Church, Millarville. Norman helped build the church, the logs coming from his ranch. They had three children: Trevor, Dorothy and Elizabeth. Justin, May and Barbara Deane-Freeman were also members of the family. In 1910 Norman was a cattle buyer for P. Burns and worked for him until 1931. He was Burn's Ranch manager and he and his family lived at Bow Valley Ranch. They later moved to Bee Bow, on Fish Creek and then moved to Calgary. In 1932 he built 'Cozy Cabin' on Fish Creek (now in Fish Creek Park). In 1949 they moved to High River where Norman died in 1950 and Maud also in 1950.

 

Williams, David

David Williams was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge prior to December 31, 1890.

2004 Addendum.

Williams, Horace

Horace Williams, born at Kaysville, Utah in 1867 and his wife Clara Elizabeth McLean born at Mineral Hills, Nevada in 1871 were married in Kaysville, Utah in 1888. They decided to move to Canada shortly thereafter and they arrived at Cardston in July, 1888, shortly after Charles Ora Card founded the settlement. They homesteaded on the NW ¼ of Sec. 2-3-26 W4M. They had ten children. He served on the school board and was superintendent of Sunday School and a teacher in the LDS Church. They farmed and ranched this quarter until the fall of 1928 when they moved eventually to Spokane, Washington. Horace died Oct. 20, 1929 in Spokane and was buried in Cardston. Clara died at Cardston in 1962.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Hardwick Papers.

Williams, James

James Williams was born in Tennessee, U.S.A. and died in 1915 at Fort Macleod. He was married at Fort Macleod in 1891 to Agnes Laechie Cook, who was born in 1863 in Scotland and died in 1956 at Fort Macleod. They had three children: Athole, James and Ellen. James came to Canada in 1883 with a trail herd. In 1885 he volunteered for service in the Rocky Mountain Rangers. For service he was rewarded 320 acres of land, and located a farm at Pearce. They lived at Fort Macleod for two years, then he was employed at Oxley and Waldron Ranches. He started farming at Pearce in 1906, where he was killed moving a granary. In 1882 he was a cowboy for the Cochrane Ranch. Agnes Williams came to Fort Macleod by stage coach in 1890.

 

Williams, Rev. J. A.

Rev. J. A. Williams, while superintendent of the Methodist Church, came with Rev. Bridgeman and set up for an impromptu service for 15 men and a few women, in the CPR roundhouse one Sunday in 1883.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 70.

Williams, Nicholus F.

Nicholus Williams is listed in the Homesteader Files in the Gleichen area.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.

Williams, Sterling

Sterling Williams, born in Salt Lake City, Utah on Sept. 9, 1870, arrived in Cardston with the first party of settlers from Utah on March 6, 1887. He married Attena Bates in 1894 and they had a family of four children. He farmed in the area and served as a principal of a school from 1904 to 1906.

2004 Addendum. Ref: History of Alberta by MacRae, p. 794.

Williams, T. Milton

Williams came to Calgary in 1882. He was born in 1864 at Iroquois, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1947. He was married at Innisfail in 1897 to Katie Bothamley, who was born in 1875 at Kent, England and died in 1947 at Edmonton. They had three children; John, George and Nellie.

 

Willock, Francis

Francis Willock located his farm at Pincher Creek in 1881. He returned to Ontario and brought out his wife and family in 1883. He was the first to raise wheat in Southern Alberta in 1883. He farmed NW1/4 6-6-30-W4th and W1/2 21-6-30-W4th. Mr. Willock was born in 1836 in Wentworth county, Ontario and died in 1914 at Pincher Creek. He was married in Ontario in 1865 to Margaret Humphrey, who was born in Scotland in 1843 and died at Pincher Creek in 1916. They had eight children: two died in 1878 of diphtheria.

 

Wills, George Searle

George Wills was advised to come west for his health and brought his family to Calgary in 1890. He homesteaded CPR section 3-25-3-W5th, located around what is now 16 Avenue and 4 Street NW. Calgary, but did not prove up as the land was poor. George was born in 1840 at Kingston, Ontario and died in 1918 at Springbank. He was married at Wolf Island, Ontario in 1878 to Jane Walker, who was born there in 1855 and died in 1903 at Calgary. They had seven children.

 

Wills, R.

Mr. R. Wills homesteaded on the NE ¼ of Sec. 36-34-28 W4M in 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Olds First.

Wilmot, Edmond Meade

Edmond Wilmot, born in Derbyshire, England in 1860, initially came to Guelph, Ontario in 1881 and proceeded west in 1883 to tend cattle in the Crowsnest Pass area. A keen polo player he had returned from a trip to England with the first real polo sticks and ball imported into the Americas. Henceforth the game was played in ernest and is credited with founding the first Polo Club in Canada in 1889.

2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 36.

Wilson, Alfred

Alfred Wilson enlisted in the NWMP in 1873 and served until 1883. He then homesteaded east of Pincher Creek. He was killed in an accident on the railroad when a train caught his wagon as it crossed. Alfred was born in 1855 at Bowmanville, Ontario and died at Pincher Creek in 1908. In 1892 at Pincher Creek he married Matilda Jane Kerr, who was born in 1863 in Megantic County, Quebec and died in 1937 at Pincher Creek. They had six children.

 

Wilson E.

Mr. E. Wilson was with Col. Macleod at the signing of Treaty No.7 at Blackfoot Crossing.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Scarlet and Gold, Boswells historical note, Seventh Annual, p. 48.

Wilson, Ernest Edward

Ernest Wilson came west in 1889/90 where his brother, Llewellyn Wilson had set up business as an architect. He went to Red Deer where he ranched at Buffalo Lake and later Pine Lake. He donated land for the erection of Holy Trinity Anglican Church. Ernest was born in London, England and died at Victoria, B.C. in 1948. He was married twice, E. (Collie) Malony, who died in 1913 at Saskatoon and Olive DeVesey Detler, who was born at Goderich, Ontario and died at Victoria, B.C.

 

Wilson, Harry Benrose

Harry Wilson was born in 1868 at Cooksville, Ontario and was married in 1889 at Guelph, Ontario to Mary Elizabeth Marriot. She was born at Guelph in 1867 and died at Calgary in 1945. They had two children: Harold and Kaywood. Harry came to Calgary in 1889.

 

Wilson, J. A.

Mr. J. A. Wilson arrived in Queenstown, NWT in July of 1889.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Dorothy Annie Fairbanks.

Wilson, James

James Wilson came to Fort Macleod as an Instructor at the Blood Indian Reserve in 1886 and held that position for five years. He was also manager of the Cochrane Ranch. Later he was the recorder of Brands at Medicine Hat until 1922 when he moved to Edmonton as recorder of Brands for the Province of Alberta, holding that position until he died. Wilson was born in Scotland in 1850 and died at Edmonton in 1923. In 1878 he was married at Scollard to Agnes Wilson, who died at Edmonton in 1918. They had five children: Agnes, Kate, Edith, Annie and Dorothy.

 

Wilson, John Hugh

John Wilson, born in Ireland in 1856, came initially to Halifax in 1887 and arrived at Gleichen on November 27, 1887. He worked on the CPR roundhouse at Gleichen and then later at Calgary as a fireman. In 1901 he returned to Ireland but soon returned and in 1902 he married Sarah Hayes of Antrim, Ireland. They purchased the SW ¼ of Sec. 30-22-23-W4M and homesteaded the NW ¼ of Sec. 30-22-22-W4M where they farmed. They had four daughters and one son who died in infancy. John died in 1934 and Sarah in 1939.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.

Wilson, John J.

John Wilson came from Winnipeg, Man. to Calgary as a member of the NWMP in 1888. He returned to Winnipeg and then in 1891 was transfered by the NWMP to Fort Macleod He was president and manager of the Alaska-Yukon Pioneers Reunion.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD files, Re: Letter from John Wilson.

Wilson, John Sargensen

John Wilson emigrated from England in 1884 settling at Sarnia, Ontario. He came to Southern Alberta in 1890 bringing in the first herd of sheep for the Sarnia Ranching Company with headquarters at Medicine Hat. He left this company shortly afterwards and took employment in his trade as a carpenter with the C.P.R. at Lethbridge. John's family joined him in 1893 at Dunmore Junction, later moving to Canmore. They came into Calgary in 1899 where he was foreman in the construction of the City Hall and other sandstone buildings in the city. In 1914 he homesteaded the NE1/4 2-23-5-W5th at Bragg Creek, raising cattle and using the brand NVN. In 1920 they took over a General Store and Post Office at Bragg Creek and retired at Okotoks. Wilson was born in England in 1855 and died in 1933 at Okotoks. In England in 1883 he was married to Mary Strong, who was born there in 1861 and died in 1964 at Victoria, B.C. They had five children.

 

Wilson, Llewellyn J.

Llewellyn Wilson, an architect, arrived in Calgary the first week of June in 1887. SAPD membership application files.

2004 Addendum.

Wilson, Maurice Studdert (Tug)

Maurice Wilson, born in New Zealand in 1865, emigrated with his parents and brother Thomas initially to Barrie, Ontario. Maurice came west first to Medicine Hat as a surveyor then settled in 1884 in the Pincher Creek area. Thomas arrived in Medicine Hat in 1882, joined him in Pincher Creek and they located a homestead calling it the Starlight Ranch. They also started the Key Ranch north of Cowley and in 1886 the KEY brand became a registered brand. Their parents came west and settled in the North Fork district and opened the first Post Office in 1893. He was married in 1902 to Fanny Mary Pass, who was born in 1878 at Barrie, Ontario. They had four children: Edward, Walter, Eleanor and Greta. Mary died in 1942 at Vancouver, BC. Maurice died in 1957 at Vancouver, BC.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 554.

Wilson, Robert Nathaniel

Robert Wilson was an Ex-Constable of the NWMP, coming west by rail and on the Missouri River. In 1882 he was stationed at Stand Off and Fort Macleod, taking his discharge in 1886. He purchased the Stand Off Trading Post and was the Indian Agent for the Blood and Peigan Indians from 1898 to 1911. In 1921 he published a memorandum about the Blood Indians in which he gave a summary of the Treaties that were signed and the history of the farm operations with the Bloods as well as the treaty obligations of the Federal Government. Robert was born in 1863 at Bowmanville, Ontario and died in 1944 at Stand Off. He was married there in 1888 to Lila Hillier, who was born in Ontario in 1868 and died in 1939.

 

Wilson, Stephen

In 1885 Stephen Wilson was engaged to transport troops during the Riel Rebellion. He took up a homestead at Springbank, then moved to Red Deer where he farmed and operated the Alberta Hotel and the Windsor Hotel until 1914. Wilson was born in Rotherham, Yorkshire, England and died at Red Deer in 1939. He was married in England in 1880, but his wife and two children died before he came to Calgary in 1885. In 1904 at Red Deer, he was married to Sarah Anderson, who was born in 1878 in Ireland and died in 1947 at Red Deer. There were five children: William, Samuel, Catherine, Beatrice, and Lillian.

 

Wilson, Thomas (Tom) Edmonds

Thomas Wilson, born at Bond head, Ontario in 1859, came to Fort Walsh in 1880 with the NWMP but only served a short time. In 1881 he received his discharge and took a job as a packer with the I.G. Baker Co. While in Ft. Benton he got a job with the Major Rogers Survey crew and was dispatched, with supplies, to Calgary and west to Bow Fort. He wintered at Morley with Mr. & Mrs. D. McDougall in 1882 and in 1885 he joined Steele's Scouts and proceeded to the Riel Rebellion. He homesteaded at Morley in 1885. In Edmonton in 1885 he married Minnie McDougall, who was born at Teeswater, Ontario in 1865 and they established a home at Morley. In 1893 they moved to Banff where Tom became renowned as a guide and outfitter. He died in Banff in 1933 and Minnie died at Banff in 1936. All of their six children were either born at Banff or Morley.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 97.

Wilson, Thomas (Tom) Goodrick

Thomas Wilson, born in New Zealand in 1866, emigrated with his parents and brother Maurice initially to Barrie, Ontario. Thomas arriving in Medicine Hat in 1882, joined his brother Maurice in Pincher Creek and they located a homestead calling it the Starlight Ranch. In 1914 at Calgary, Maurice married Ethel Helen Miller/Milner. who was born in England in 1880 and who he had met at his mother's post office and they had four daughters: Ethel, Susan, Kathleen and Patricia. Tom died at Bellevue in 1947 and was buried at Livingston. His wife and one daughter stayed on at the home place, The Key Ranch. Ethel died at Lundbreck.

Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 554.

Wilson, Dr. W.

Dr. W. Wilson, born in Kingston, Ontario, came west as a non-commissioned officer of the NWMP in 1878 and for awhile he was in charge of Fort Calgary. He was also stationed in Fort MacLeod and at Blackfoot Crossing. In September 1883 he purchased his discharge, and immediately opened his office as Surgeon-Dentist located on the Elbow River in Calgary. In April of 1884 he moved his office to the north side of Stephen Ave., and later moved once again next to the Royal Hotel.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources March, 1885.

Winder, Captain William

Captain Winder commanded 'C' Troop of the NWMP when they came west in 1873. His family came to join him in 1876. William and Julia both signed Treaty No.7 in 1887. He retired in 1890 with a gratuity of $700 and formed the Winder Ranch Company at Trout Creek, with 100 head of horses and cattle. William was born at Lennoxville, Quebec.

 

Winterbottom, A.

Mr. A. Winterbottom homesteaded the S ½ of Sec. 23-22-2-W5M in the Pine Creek district prior to 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.

Winterbottom, E. J.

Mr. E. Winterbottom homesteaded the S ½ of Sec. 24-22-2-W5M in the Pine Creek district prior to 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.

Wishart, David Charles

David Wishart, born in 1867, came west while working with the CPR when he was 15 years old in 1883. He later took up a homestead in the Gleichen area and in 1892 he married Maud Vicar and they had two children, Florence and Roy. David hauled mail from Gleichen and later moved there. He bought a livery stable where he kept horses and rigs to rent. His later years were spent sheep herding in the Milk River country. He died in 1956 and Maud passed away in 1960.

2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.

Wishart, James

James Wishart was born in the Orkney Islands in 1830 and died at Calgary in 1906. In 1852 at Poplar Point, Manitoba he married Elizabeth Flett, who was born at the Red River Settlement, Manitoba in 1837 and died at Calgary in 1900. James and Elizabeth settled in the Rosebud area in 1883 and James became a mail carrier, hauling mail from Gleichen. On one occasion he was lost in a blizzard which resulted in having his frozen toes amputated. They had six children; Dave, Ben, Herb, Jenny, Mary and Barbara.

 

Wittkopf, Ida

Ida Wittkopf, born in Germany on July 2, 1867, came to Canada in 1879 and moved to Pincher Creek in 1888. She married Emil Steinke, December 30, 1890 in Fort Macleod and they farmed a homestead 3 mile south of Pincher Creek. They had a family of three daughters and one son.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass.

Wittkopf, Richard August

Richard Wittkopf, born in Germany in 1864, came to Quebec in 1879 and moved to Fort Macleod in 1886. He walked Fort Macleod to Pincher Creek where he established a blacksmith shop with W. Foote and C. Dyson. In 1893 he married Jessie L. Houghton, who was born 1872 in England. They had five children. They moved to the Fishburn district where Richard took up farming and operated his own blacksmith shop. He along with two brothers and two sisters, were instrumental in getting a Lutheran Church built south of Pincher Creek.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 467.

Wolley-Dod, Arthur George

Arthur and Annie Wolley-Dod came to Calgary in 1887. He was born at Chester, England in 1860 and died at Calgary in 1936. In 1887 at Malpas, England he married Annie Francis Brown, who was born in India and died at Calgary in 1945. There were five children, all born at Calgary. They were: Frances, Marjory, William, Edith and Annie. Arthur served in the Military from 1903 past 1920, with ranks from Sergeant to Lt. Colonel and served overseas from 1914-1919. The Wolley-Dod's were active at St. Paul's Anglican Church at Midnapore. Arthur was a participant in the Calgary Agricultural and Industrial Fair, the forerunner of the Calgary Stampede.

 

Wonnacott, George

George Wonnacott was born at London, Ontario in 1852 and died at Calgary in 1912. In 1891 at Midnapore, he married Marie Emily Power, who was born at L'ambze, Ontario in 1870. She died at Calgary in 1942. There were six children, all born at Midnapore. Wonnacott came to Fort Macleod in 1889.

 

Wood, C.E.D.

Mr. Wood was editor of the first newspaper in Fort Macleod, The Gazette which began publication in July 1882. It ceased publication in 1907 but was reincarnated in 1931 under the name Macleod Gazette.

 

Wood, George Isaac

George and Emma Wood came to the Pincher Creek area in 1881. George ranched there until 1885 and then spent some years at Maple Creek returning to purchase the merchandising business of D.W. Marsh, which he operated in partnership with Fred Green - Wood and Green. He was born at Coaticook, Quebec in 1850 and died at Calgary in 1936. About 1874 at Manistee, Michigan, he married Emma Jane Sommerville, who was born there in 1854 and died at Calgary in 1926. They had one child, Lucy Maud.

 

Wood, Rev. G.T.

The Reverend G.T. Wood came to Gleichen in 1890 to study the Indians. His daughter married Archdeacon Tims on 30 October, 1890.

 

Woodhouse, Oscar Leslie Moon

Oscar Woodhouse came to Calgary in 1890. He was born at Coppenhall, England in 1867 and died at Calgary in 1940. In 1906 at Calgary, he married Miriam Louise Burnett, who was born at London, England in 1876 and died at Calgary in 1933. there were three children: Raymond, Nista and Oscar.

 

Woodworth, Benjamin Franklin

In 1883 Benjamin Woodworth squatted on land which is the present buffalo Paddock below the Cascade Mountain stream The Spout' at Banff. He was born at Canning, Kings County, Nova Scotia in 1864 and died at Banff in1920. In 1888 at Banff he married Elizabeth McIntosh, who was born at Burnley, England in 1868 and died at Banff in 1936. There were 11 children all born in Banff. Benjamin and Elizabeth Woodworth never left Banff except for one visit to Calgary in the late years of their lives.

 

Woolfe, John Anthony

John Woolfe and his wife Mary arrived in Cardston in 1887. He was vice president and director of the Cardston Coal Ltd. and owner of the Hotel de Woolfe. He was president of Lees Creek Mormon Church and Mary was very active in the church. There were 12 children in their family.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Chief Mountain Vol. # 2.

Woolliams, Daniel

Daniel Woolliams came to Calgary in 1890 and operated a dairy farm. He homesteaded the NZ 9 Ranch at Symons Valley in 1902. The ranch is still a family operation. He was born in 1844 at Oxfordshire, England and died at Calgary in 1922. He was married in England in 1872 to Mary Ann Bliss, who was born in 1847 and died in 1915 at Dundas, Ontario. They raised a family of seven children, all born in England.

 

Woollans, Frank

Frank Woollans came to Calgary in 1890.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Mrs. Elaine Davis

Worden, Hiram Glacier

Hiram Worden came to Calgary in 1887 and opened a bakery and confectionery with his brother Winslow, who later moved to Cranbrook, B.C. He also farmed in the Davisburg district. Worden was born in 1859 at Evandale, N.B. and died at Calgary in 1924. He was married in 1890 at Wickham, N.B. to Martha Belle Golding, who was born there in 1872.

 

Worley, Const. J. B.

Const. J. B. Worley was with Col. Macleod at Samples Bottom near Fort Macleod and at the signing of Treaty No.7 at Blackfoot Crossing.

2004 Addendum. Ref: Scarlet and Gold, Boswells historical note, Seventh Annual, p. 48.

Wraith, John

John Wraith came from England to Springbank in the 1880s where his uncle was farming. After his uncle's death he remained on the farm until he retired to Vancouver, B.C. in 1936.

 

Wright, Bryce

Bryce Wright was a cousin of P. Turner Bone and was a partner with him at the Ailsa Ranch at Davisburg in 1886. He married a Miss Anderson.

 

Wright, Joshua

Joshua Wright was a Transport Supply Officer with General Strange during the Rebellion of 1885. He moved with his family to Calgary in 1885 and was employed with Portland Cement Limited. In 1906 due to health problems he moved back to Ontario where he died in 1907. Wright was born in 1855 at Hull, Quebec. At Hull in 1877 he married Elizabeth Starr Brooks, who was born there in 1856 and died in 1934 at Kingston, Ontario. They had seven children in their family.

 

Wright, Nathaniel

Nathaniel Wright, born at Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario in 1860, came to Poplar Grove (now Innisfail) in 1887. From there he went to the Little Red Deer River where he homesteaded two quarters (320 acres). He married Susan Pierce who was born Nov. 4 , 1870, in Carleton, Ontario on New Year's day, 1890. Nathaniel and Susan had 10 children. He died at Calgary in 1949.

Merged with 2004 Addendum.

Wright, William Reid

William Wright, born in Alton Village, Ontario on June 6th, 1858, joined the NWMP in 1878 and arrived in Fort Walsh in June the same year. He was discharged on July 1881 and moved, intending to work as an accountant, to Fort Calgary. In 1885 he made a famous non-stop ride from Calgary to Fort Macleod bringing news of the outbreak of the Reil Rebellion. He married Emma Rogers of Pembroke, Ontario in 1903. They had no children. He worked as a book-keeper for Irwin's Grocery store in Calgary for many years. William died in Calgary in February, 1930. His wife Emma died in Calgary in September of 1943.

2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD Black Books.

Wyndham, Colonel Alfred

Colonel Alfred Wyndham was born at Dinton, England in 1837 and died at Okotoks in 1914. In 1859 at London, Ontario, he married Caroline Elizabeth Stuart, who was born in 1837 and died at Okotoks in 1932. They had eleven children. Alfred and Caroline Wyndham came to Gleichen in 1886. Alfred served with the York Rangers during the Northwest Rebellion. The Dinton Post Office was established on his land. He farmed after leaving the services and retired at Carseland.