Pioneer Profiles : G
Mr. Gaetz was born in 1886 at Musquadobit, N.S., and died at Red Deer, Alberta in 1923. He was a nephew of Rev. Leonard Gaetz D.D. He homesteaded in the Waskasoo district in 1886.
Mrs. Gaetz accompanied her son, John Jost to Red Deer in 1885, following the death of her husband, the Rev. Thomas Gaetz. Mrs. Gaetz died at Red Deer in 1919.
Gaetz, Hector (Hezekiah)
Hector Gaetz was born at Musquadobit, N.S., in 1857 and died at Red Deer in 1929. In 1897 he married Isobel Janet Dennison, who was born at Roseneath in 1875 and died at Lethbridge in 1962. There were three children in the family. Their homestead was in the Clearview area, east of Red Deer in 1886.
Isaac Gaetz was born in 1840 at Musquadobit, N.S. and died at Red Deer, in 1893. The name of his wife was Isabella (Belle), who died in 1893 at Red Deer. There were no children. In 1886 Isaac homesteaded the N 1/2'of Section 17, now the south part of Red Deer. They were the first couple to be buried in the Red Deer cemetery. Isaac was a brother of Rev. Leonard Gaetz D.D.
Gaetz, James Beaumont
James Gaetz was born at Musquadobit, N. S. in 1867 and died at Red Deer in 1922. He worked with his brother Tom near Alix, in 1886. He was unmarried. James attempted to reach the Yukon in 1898 to participate in the gold rush. He blazed trails for Brewster in 1914-15. Mr. Gaetz returned to farm at Poplar Ridge, Alberta until his death.
Gaetz, John Jost
John Gaetz was born in 1860 in Newfoundland and died in 1937 at Red Deer. He was married in 1905 at Red Deer to Grace Elder, who was born in 1866 in Ontario and died in 1953 at Red Deer. Mr. Gaetz brought his mother Mrs. Catherine Gaetz to the Red Deer district in 1885, following the death of his father. He was an M.L.A., for the years 1918-1921. He was also a member of the first senate of the University of Alberta. Mr. Gaetz donated a quarter section of his holdings east of Red Deer for a bird and animal sanctuary.
Gaetz, Rev. Leonard D.D.
Rev. Leonard Gaetz was born at Musquadobit, N.S., in 1841 and died at Red Deer in 1907. In 1865 he married Caroline Blowers Hamilton, who was born at Selma, N.S. in 1845 and died at Red Deer in 1906. They had a family of eleven children. Rev. Gaetz, an ordained Methodist minister, who served his church until 1883, due to ill health left the ministry arrived in Calgary in 1883 on a scouting trip. After visiting the farms of John Glenn and Sam Livingston, which impressed him very much he proceeded to Edmonton. During the trip he was impressed by the Red Deer River area. He settled on parts of Section 16, 17, 20 and 21 holding 1200 acres in total. He brought his family to the Red Deer Valley, where he acted as Postmaster until 1895. In 1890 he gave a half interest in his land to the Railway Company for the townsite of Red Deer.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
Gaetz, Thomas Anson
Thomas Gaetz was born at Lunenberg, N.S., in 1871 and died at Red Deer in 1950. In 1896 he married Emily Tamar Parry, who was born in 1870 at Birkenhead, England and died at Red Deer in 1953. There were five children. In 1887 accompanied by James Smith, he walked from Calgary to Red Deer in five days. He was fifteen years old. He farmed and engaged in various merchandising enterprises. Mr. Gaetz served on the Red Deer Town council, Hospital board, Board of Trade, Exhibition Association, was President of Oldtimer's Association, President of the curling club, hockey club and baseball club.
John Gainey was born in 1861 at Conning (Corning) N.Y., U.S.A. He came to Calgary, in 1883 with a construction crew. From 1883 to 1891 he freighted supplies between Calgary and Edmonton with an oxcart, until the railway was completed. Mr. Gainey was a member of the Southern Alberta Pioneer and Old Timers Association.
Gallagher, Michael Joseph
Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher came to Fort Macleod in 1875. Mr. Gallagher was born at Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland in 1850 and died at Fort Macleod in 1920. In 1872 he married Helen (Ellen) MacDonald, who was born in Co. Cork, Ireland and died at Fort Macleod in 1918. They had six children. He came to Canada in 1872. He joined the NWMP in 1875 and was sent to Fort Macleod. He served until 1881, then homesteaded the N 1/2-10-9-W5 and NE 1/4-18-9-W5. He ran several hundred head of cattle but lost most of his herd in the blizzards of 1886-87. He then started raising wheat and vegetables.
Galletly, David Drummond
David Galletly, born in Scotland on march 4, 1838, came to Banff in 1886 where he resided until his death on November of 1916. Prior to the turn of the century he was "Caretaker" of the Cave and Basin under the Liberal Government and Guide to the Cave once the Conservatives assumed the reins of power in Ottawa. At the Caves he told his quaint but interesting tale of the discovery of the cave to thousands of people from all over the world.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Crag & Canyon, Vol. 17, Banff, Alta,
Galliher, William Alfred
Justice Galliher, born in 1860 at Bruce County, Ontario and died in 1934 at Victoria, BC. In 1885, he served as part of the British Nile contingent for the relief of Khartoum under General Garnet Wolselsey. He arrived in Lethbridge and was a partner in the law firm of Coneybeare and Galliher from 1888-1897. In Lethbridge, Galliher married E.D. Carmen of Winnipeg and they had at least one child (Frank). By 1898 he was practising law in Nelson, BC. He was elected the MP for Yale-Cariboo in 1900 and Kootenay in 1904. In Vancouver he made a second marriage to Lousia Brown of Toronto. In 1909, he was appointed a Justice of the Court of Appeal in British Columbia. His son, Frank, was killed near Ypres on 18 May, 1915.
Ref: William Alfred Galliher records, BC Archives. The British Columbia Court of Appeal: The First Hundred Years. Additional research by JFR.
Galloway, James Hadwen and Margaret McKee
James Hadwen Galloway was born in 1861 at Carlisle, Wentworth Co. Ontario and died at Calgary in 1941. In 1884 at Red Deer, NWT he married Margaret McKee (Maggie) who was born in 1859 at Hamilton, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1930. They raised a family of eleven children. Maggie McKee and James Galloway accompanied the Rev. Leonard Gaetz to Red Deer in 1884 and then moved to Calgary where James worked on the construction of the first Hudson's Bay building. In 1899 he was appointed caretaker of the Union Cemetery where he served the City of Calgary for 35 years.
Galt, Sir Alexander
Sir Alexander Galt was a major shareholder in the Galt Coal Co. and came to Medicine Hat in 1883 to inspect the coal mines being developed in Lethbridge. He instigated the building of a narrow gauge railroad to Dunsmore from Lethbridge where coal was transported east to be trans-shipped on the CPR.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 26.
Galt, Elliott Torrance
Elliott Torrance, son of Sir Alexander Galt, one of The Fathers of Confederation, came west in 1879 as assistant to the Indian Commissioner Edgar Dewdney. He was greatly impressed with the outcroppings of coal along the Valley of the Oldman River, and with British capital was able to form the North West Coal and Navigation Co. He was a bachelor and lived most of his life in Lethbridge until 1906.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
George Gamsby was born at Perth, Ontario in 1857 and died at Calgary in 1938. In 1876 he worked for Richard Stanton, where he whipsawed lumber for the first NWMP barracks at Calgary. He served with the NWMP for three years and homesteaded for eight years. Mr. Gamsby was a teamster serving with Col. Sam Steele in the Boer War. He later took up land west of Priddis where he made a living hunting coyotes and may have had a moonshine still. In the 1890's he freighted from Fort Benton to Fort Calgary for five years until the mules were stolen by the Indians just out of Fort Benton, U.S.A.
John Ganey was born in 1861 at Corning, N.Y., and died at Calgary in 1943. He came to Calgary in 1883.
William Gardiner married Jennie Rowbotham, who was born in England. They had one child. The Gardiners came to Fort Macleod in 1888.
Gardner, Meopham (Captain)
Captain Gardner served in the Riel Rebellion in 1885 and then came to settle at Pirmez Creek. He was born at Micklecham, Surrey, England in 1852 and died at Calgary in 1944. At Russell, Manitoba in 1883 he married Margaret Esam who was born in England in 1860 and died at Pirmez Creek in 1943. They had five children. The Gardners were very interested in the scouting movement and set up a Scout camp on their property known as Camp Gardner.
Mr. Gareau was born at St. Jacques L'Achigant, Quebec in 1855 and died at Pincher Creek in 1954. He came to Pincher Creek in 1885. In 1884 at St. Antoine De Padoue, Batoche, Saskatchewan he married Madelaine Delorme, who was born at St. Francis Xavier, Manitoba in 1867 and died at Pincher Creek in 1958. They had twelve children.
Garnett, John (Jack), Walter Emiline & Charles Arthur
Jack & Walter in 1879 established the first ranch in the Crowsnest River area, and settled near the Pincher Creek area along with brother Louis Osmond. Arthur arrived in 1881, and all the brothers established the Garnett Brothers Ranch. The brothers built a fine ranch house and stables that was lathed, plastered and sported verandahs. It was completed in 1886 under the able builder W. E. Gladstone. They leased 40,000 acres of land at one cent per acre per year. Later half of this lease was shared by Frederick William Godsal. Jack was unmarried and died in the Yukon in 1897.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 320 & A History of the Early days of Pincher Creek p. 18.
Garnett, Louis Osmond
Louis Osmond Garnett came to Pincher Creek in 1879 and settled fourteen miles southwest of Pincher Creek on the south fork of the Old Man River. The ranch ran 1500 horses and 300 head of cattle on a 20,000 acre range. He was born at Lancashire, England in 1850 and died at Quamichan, B.C. He married Alice Mary Leslie-Smith in 1885 in England. She was born at Macao, China in 1845 and died at Quamichan B.C., in 1926. They had one son, Louis Harold.
Gay, William F. (Billy)
Mr. Billy Gay lived at Lethbridge from 1886 to 1890 and then moved to Fort Macleod. He was foreman of the Northwest Coal and Navigation Co., then went into the construction business and built many of the original buildings in Lethbridge and Fort Macleod.
Geddes, James D.
A rancher on the Ghost River in 1880, he represented Calgary on the NWT Council in 1884.
Genge, Colin Melville
Mr. Genge came to Fort Macleod in 1881. A contractor, he built the Queen's Hotel in 1895 using sandstone from his own quarry. He operated the Fort Macleod Telephone Company and later purchased the A. F. Grady Hardware store which he operated until 1910. He was elected Mayor in 1904 holding office for two terms. He was a member of the Alberta Legislative Assembly in 1909. Colin Genge was born at Kingston, Ontario in 1859 and died at Edmonton in 1910. In 1884 he married Annie May Ryan, who was born at Melbourne, Australia in 1864 and died at Fort Macleod in 1930. They had five children.
John Geoghegan was a member of the NWMP and was posted to Fort Macleod in 1890. He served in the Boer War for two years and then in the NWMP until his retirement in 1909. He was born in Ireland in 1860 and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1948. In 1890 he married Johanna Beattie, who was born at Inverness, Scotland in 1871 and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1945. They had a family of eight children.
George, Dr. Henry
Dr. George came to Calgary in 1889 as assistant surgeon to Dr. Lindsay serving the NWMP. He was called to Gleichen to treat Chief Crowfoot in March, 1890. Henry George was born in England in 1864 and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1932. At London, England in 1888 he married Barbara Mary Bernard, who was born in Ireland in 1867 and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1936. They had twelve children.
Louis: Arrived at the Bar U Ranch in 1883 with a stallion which Fred Stimson was importing from Quebec. The horse was unloaded at Medicine Hat (end of the rail) and then walked the rest of the way to the Bar U. Louis remained in the west and worked for the North West Cattle Co. Guillaume: Arrived in 1884 and worked with his brother erecting log buildings for the Bar U ranch. In 1889 he built a house for John Thorpe, now part of the old ranch house on the 'D' Ranch. Romaine: Worked for Charlie Knox, then joined Arthur Collins in ranching near Vulcan, and then to the Highwood Ranch, where he was foreman for Mrs. T. W. Robertson for twenty-four years. He married Germaine Bedo, who was born in France. Adrian: Adrian was injured while unloading logs at the Knox ranch and died a few days later.
Researched by Clarence Davis
Gibb, James Sidney
James Sidney Gibb came to Fort Macleod in 1881. He was one of the first traders to follow the main line of the CPR during its construction. He established J. S. Gibb & Co. located opposite the Dominion Land Office on Stephen Avenue West in Calgary. Here he established fine premises and later opened a branch at High River. He died at St. Catherine's Ontario in 1940.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources March, 1885.
Henry Gibeau, born October 13, 1865, came to Calgary in 1889 where he worked as a blacksmith. He married Annie Bonnar June 4th, 1902, in Pincher Creek. They had two children.
Born in Northumberland, Ontario on April 17, 1873. A clerk at Calgary in 1890, he died at Fernie, B.C.
Gibson, William A.
William Gibson was born 1833 near Ottawa and married Rose Graham who he met in Ottawa. They moved west and purchased the SE 1/4 of Sec.20-23-3-W5M in the Springbank area in 1888. He was a blacksmith, cabinet maker and stone mason. He worked on the carved arches of the Ottawa parliament buildings in 1909 - 1910. He returned west in 1910 to sell his farm and retired in Carstairs where he died in 1914. They had two children, a girl who died young and a son John, born in 1874.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Chaps and Chinooks, Vol. 1.
Gibson, William Imrie
William Gibson came to Calgary in 1885. He homesteaded in the Springbank district until 1897 when he moved to Greenwood, B.C. In 1903 he moved to Rossland B.C., returning to Calgary in 1907. Mr. Gibson worked for the City of Calgary as an electric power operator. He and his wife Jean had two children.
Gibson, W. J. (William)
Mr Gibson came to Calgary in 1885.
Gibson, W. N.
W. N. Gibson came to Calgary in 1890 and was employed at the Exhibition Office as Assistant Manager of the Calgary Exhibition Grounds. He died at Calgary in 1937.
Edward Gigot was a Hudson's Bay Company employee, posted at Fort Macleod in 1886. He later transferred to Nelson, B.C. He married Rosina Ness and they had one child.
Thomas Gill was a painter and decorator at Calgary in 1886. He was born in Yorkshire, England and died at Calgary. He was married at Harrogate, England to Mary Emily Greetham, who was born there and died at Calgary in 1917. They had two children.
Jesse Gillan was an old yankee stage coach driver who handled his teams and passengers in a gruff manner. He drove out of Fort Benton and he lost his mail in Sheep Creek when his coach capsized in the high waters of 1885.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.
Gillespie, John and Mrs.
John Gillespie and his wife were born in Bruce Co. Ontario. They were married at Portage La Prairie, Manitoba in 1881. They had five children. They came to Anthracite in 1887 where he was employed in the coal mines.
Joseph Gillespie joined the NWMP in June 1887 and was transferred to Calgary in 1889. He resigned from the force in 1895 and joined the fire department; after six months he rejoined the NWMP and was posted to Fort Macleod. He also served at Lethbridge and Fort Kipp. In 1907 he resigned, was granted pension and joined the Lethbridge City Police, being promoted to Chief of Police in 1908 with duties including license inspector and probation officer. Gillespie was born in 1866 at Winlaton, England. He married Alice Watson, who was born at Willsdon, near London, England in 1896. They had five children.
Robert Gillespie came to Calgary, Alberta in 1886 from Antrim, Ireland. He was born in 1851 and died in 1932 at Victoria, B.C. He married Anna Marie Running. They had four children (Charles, Robert, James, Rebecca). He was a mail driver in the Priddis district until 1919 when he moved to B.C.
Merged two original records. Researched by D. Armstrong
Alexander Gillies came to the Ghost River area, west of Cochrane, in 1884. The name of his ranch was the 'Glenfinnan' ranch. He was born at Invernesshire, Scotland and died in 1922 at Cochrane. In 1871 at Stroule, Scotland he married Mary Gillies ( same surname), who was born at Moray, Scotland and died in 1935 at Cochrane. They had eight children.
Gillies, Daniel Webster
Daniel Webster Gillies came to Calgary in 1885. He was born at Richabucto, N.B., in 1859 and died at Calgary in 1926. In 1886 at Lytton, B.C., he married Pauline L. Buie, who was born in 1868 at Victoria, B.C., and died at Calgary in 1946. They had two children.
Gillingham, A. W.
In the 1880's Mr. Gillingham built a lumber mill at Pincher Creek. Logs were brought down the river to the mill and the finished lumber was then hauled to market on a wagon trail.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A History of the Early days of Pincher Creek p. 6,7.
Gilmore, Alexander James (Sandy)
Gilmore was at Cypress Hills in 1878 with NWMP. He took his discharge in 1881 after serving at Calgary and Fort Saskatchewan. Sandy Gilmore was one of the first employees at the Cochrane Ranch in 1881. He also operated a trading post at Red Deer for G. C. King in 1883. He was born in 1852 at Quebec City, P.Q., and died in 1942 at Calgary. He was unmarried.
In the late 1880's, Samuel, his wife Charlotte and their family of 12 children, all born in Ontario, came to the Cochrane district to ranch. These were very dry years and in their search for land with a year round water supply they moved to homestead in the Dog Pound district west of Olds about 1891.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A Trail Grows Dim, Westerdale Willing Workers.
Jim Gilruth worked on rail construction of the CPR as it neared Calgary. Later he herded sheep in Montana and then about 1883 he walked from Montana north past Chief Mountain and found a grassy land area near the Waterton River that he liked to homestead so sent for his parents and family. Their first crops were hauled and sold to the NWMP at Fort Macleod and he once took a load of onions to sell in Lethbridge. Jim's parents were well liked in the area and they were devoted to the Catholic Church. They are both buried in Pincher Creek.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 854.
Giveen, Robert Hugh
Robert Giveen was an original member of the NWMP coming to Fort Macleod in 1874. Following the death of his father in 1891 he returned to Ireland. He was born in 1852 at Kirkee, Bombay Province, India and died in 1926 at 'Cool-Darah' Coleraine, N. Ireland. In 1895 at Lambeg, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland he married S. M. L. Richardson, who was born in 1871 in Northern Ireland and died in 1954 at 'Cool-Darah' Coleraine, N. Ireland. They had three children.
Gladstone, Mary Alvida
Mary Gladstone came to Pincher Creek in 1873. She was born at Qu'Apelle, Saskatchewan and died in 1968 at Pincher Creek. She had two children.
Gladstone, Senator James
James Gladstone was born on the Blood Indian Reserve in 1884 and died 4 September 1971 at Fernie, B.C. He was married to Janie and they had six children. He was a successful rancher on the Reserve and helped found the Indian Association of Alberta in 1944. One of his grandfathers was a Scot, who was distantly related to the former British Prime Minister, William Gladstone. James Gladstone was appointed to the Senate in 1958. In 1960 he was named American Indian of the Year.
William Gladstone, born in Montreal in 1832, joined the HBC in 1848 as a carpenter and boat builder. He worked at Rocky House and Edmonton where in 1885 he married a native girl, Harriet Le Blanc. He tried farming in the Red river area, but Harriet became lonesome he returned to the HBC to work for 3 years west of Edmonton. He was hired to build a mission house in 1862, built winter cabins for prospectors and in 1870 he helped build a fort that later became Fort Whoop-Up. He died at Mountain Hill in 1911.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass.
Glanville, John Friskeno
John Glanville was a merchant at Calgary in 1887. He later moved to Victoria, B.C.
Glasford, George Edward
George Glasford was a Locomotive Engineer with the C.P.R., at Calgary in 1888. He was born in 1862 at Iroquois, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1939. In 1888 at Fort William, Ontario he married Mary Elizabeth Lewis, who was born in Wales, U.K, in 1869 and died at Calgary in 1947. They had seven children.
John Glass came to Fort Macleod in 1884 by train, boat and stage coach and spent the winter a Lethbridge. When he came to Fort Macleod he lived on the island where the fort was located. The spring floods washed out the fort and it was moved to higher ground. John was born in 1846 at Napanee, Ontario and died at Fort Macleod in 1896 of pneumonia. In 1864 at Napanee, Ontario he married Susan McEwan, who was born in Ontario in 1846 and died at Fort Macleod in 1934. They had four children.
Mr. Glendinning came to Nanton in 1890.
Mr. Glenn was born in Galway, Ireland and came to North America and found his way to the California gold field and then west to Montana. Hearing of the Caribou gold strike he and a group of gold seekers travelled by way of Crowsnest Pass to the Fraser River where every few yards was a miner panning for gold. The group travelled to the head waters of the "Mighty Peace" and returned to the prairies by way of the Kicking Horse Pass. The journey was treacherous and the men were discouraged and lost. They were in search of the South Saskatchewan River. The group disbanded and John went on to Edmonton then returned and squatted on land south of Calgary (Fish Creek) in 1872-73. He married Adelaide Belcourt and raised his family there.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Glenn Parrick donated the land on which the St. Paul's Anglican Church was built in 1885 near Fish Creek in Midnapore.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald, Nov. 18, 1933.
Goddard, Gilbert Edwin
Mr. Goddard was born at Devonshire, England in 1861 and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1931. He married Luella Grasse, a daughter of P. Grasse, (Calgary, 1880). She was born at Columbus, Ontario in 1881 and died at Sidney, B.C., in 1968. They had five children. Mr. Goddard was the manager of the Bow River Horse Ranch from his arrival in 1888, until his retirement. Both he and his wife were well known horse people.
George Godlonton was born in England, and was one of four brothers, all of whom came to Alberta as pioneers. George and brother James worked with the CPR through the Rocky Mountains in 1884, and were among the first people to enter the cave at "Cave and Basin" in Banff. In 1887 they filed a homestead in the Springbank district where he and his brothers ranched until 1902 when they moved to Harmatten only to lose their cattle during a winter blizzard in 1903. he and his brothers James and John returned to England. George came back to Calgary in 1905 and bought property in the Lincoln Park district. He married Mary Jane Tyler in St. Stephen's Anglican Church in Calgary in 1907. He worked for the CPR Shops at Ogden until his retirement in 1936.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Letter in Black Books.
Godlonton, James Richard
James Godlonton was born in England in 1864 and died in Calgary in 1955. He was married to Beatrice Lillian Westlanke in 1897 in England. There were four children. Mr. Godlonton was a foreman with C.P.R. during construction of the railway west from Banff. He took "squatters' rights" in the Banff area in what later became the first Buffalo Park. He and his brother George are among the first people to enter the Cave at the "Cave and Basin" in Banff. In 1885 James was present at the driving of the Last Spike at Craigellachie. In 1887 he filed a homestead in the Springbank district. He returned to England to be married, then brought his bride back to Springbank in 1898. He moved to Harmatten with his brothers around 1902. The cattle they moved with them from Springbank were decimated by blizzards, so in 1903 they went back to England to get a fresh start. In 1905 James returned to Calgary and was involved in real estate until his death in 1955.
John Godlonton was born in 1869 in London, England and died in 1953 at Calgary. He married Hester Eliza Tyler in London in 1899. She was born in 1871 in Birkhamstead, Hertfordshire and died in Calgary in 1965. They had seven children. John Godlonton arrived in Calgary in 1886 with his brother Thomas. He worked for a time on the Cochrane Ranche, then filed a homestead on Jumping Pound Creek in 1887. In 1899 he returned to England to be married. In 1900 their first child was born at Jumping Pound. They moved to Harmatten, then returned to Calgary and eventually went into the dairy business.
Thomas Godlonton was born in London in 1867 and died in 1955. He married Elizabeth Catherine Knight of Denver, Colorado in 1896. She died in 1928. There were seven children. Thomas Godlonton came to the Jumping Pound District in 1886 with his brother John. He worked for the Cochrane Ranch and for various people in the district. He was very musical and well known for his dancing. After his marriage in 1896 he went back to England, then returned to Calgary in 1905. He worked for the Calgary Iron Works until he retired in 1938.
Godsal, Byam Martin
Mr. Godsal, born 1856 at Stratton, Cheshire, England, was the brother of Frederick William Godsal and an early rancher in the Pine Creek area, and was there as late as 1907. He became a naturalized citizen of the United States November 26, 1901 in Seattle, Washington. It was thought that he came to Southern Alberta before the railway. He registered his brand in 1884. He died February 12, 1935 at San Diego, California.
Additional research by JFR.
Godsal, Frederick (Fred) William
Fred Godsal was born in 1853 at Stretton Hill, Cheshire, England. A friend of the Marquis of Lorne, he arrived in Pincher Creek in 1882 by way of Fort Benton, Montana. By 1883 he was living in his new ranch house built by Wm. Gladstone, establishing the Butte Ranch. He acquired half of the Garrett brothers 40,000 acre lease. When the leases were canceled he advised the government to reserve certain watering places to be kept open for watering stock. Such was the beginning of the water right system instituted throughout the west. He was a long time member of the Western Stock Growers Association, and it is believed that he named the settlement of Cowley. He retired to Victoria, B.C., and died there on October 13, 1935.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 47.
Gooderham, John Hamilton
Mr. Gooderham was born in 1859 at Wexford, Ontario and died at Gleichen, Alberta in 1919. He was married at Portage La Prairie, Manitoba in 1888 to Margaret McKinnon, who was born in 1862 at Glace Bay, N.S., and died in 1908 at Gleichen. There were six children. He was at Touchwood Hills, Saskatchewan in 1879 and at Brockett, Alberta in 1903. George Hamilton, a son, was born on Poor Mans Indian Reserve, north of Qu'Appelle, N.W.T., in 1889.
Billy Gopp homesteaded in the Pine Creek district on Sec.30-21-29-W4M in the 1880's.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.
Alex Gordon was born at Goderich, Ontario in 1858. In 1893 he married Nellie Price. They had four children. He ranched forty miles east of Brooks, Alberta in 1887. He sold his ranch in 1909, moved to Brooks and established a merchandise business, Brooks Trading Company.
Gordon, Charles William (pseud. Ralph Connor)
Charles Gordon was born in Glengarry Co., Ontario in 1860 and died at Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1937. He was married to Helen Skinner King. Children were; one son, King and six daughters. He was educated at the Universities of Toronto and Edinburgh, and was ordained at Calgary in 1890, appointed to Banff, with Anthracite and Canmore his charge. He was senior chaplain for the Canadian Forces in W.W.1. He received many honors, including Moderator of the Presbyterian General Council. As author, Ralph Connor, wrote some thirty books.
Gordon, Melvin John
Melvin Gordon's mother died nine days after he was born and he was raised by his grandparents at Gleichen. He was born in 1883 in Manitoba and died at Cluny, Alberta in 1966. After his grandmother's death, he lived with Duncan and then James Clark. He spent his life ranching with the Clark family. He never married.
James Goss was born in 1838 at Staffordshire, England and died in 1909 at Ashcroft B.C. He was married in 1877 in England to Sarah Harriet Bowers, who was born in 1845 at Cheshire, England and died in 1928 at Ashcroft, B.C. They had seven children. Mr. Goss brought his family to the Banff area in 1883. They moved to Cochrane and Calgary before establishing a homestead at Jumping Pound. In 1897 the family moved to Ashcroft, B.C., and started another homestead.
Gouette (Gayette), Israel
Israel Gouette was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1886.
Gough, Francis (Frank) Joseph
Frank Gough, born in Calcutta, India in 1861, came to Canada at a young age. In 1883 he came west with the crew that surveyed the right-of-way for the CPR in the Kicking Horse Pass. He homesteaded west of Okotoks in 1884 or 1885. In 1896 at Calgary, he married Evelyn F. L. Shaw who was born in 1870 at Ramsgate, England and they had a family of four girls & three boys. In 1898 he joined the rush to the Yukon, but returned shortly after to his homestead. He died in Victoria, B.C. in 1939. Evelyn died in 1941 at Calgary, Alberta
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 286.
Scotty Gow was an early rancher in the Walsh area in 1884.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country.
Robert Gowan was a farm instructor at Morley, NWT in 1875. He was married pre-1875 and had one child. He remained in the area for one year.
Ed Grace is mentioned as being one of the men who took part in the Cypress Hills Massacre in 1865.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaning on the Wind, p. 59.
Grady, Alfred Francis
Alfred Grady was born at Owen Sound, Ontario in 1857. He was married the second time to Mary Ethel O'Donnell in 1906 at Fort Macleod. There were six children. He received his education in Ontario and came to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1882 and to Medicine Hat in 1884, Calgary in 1885, and on to Fort Macleod in 1886 establishing a tinshop and a hardware store. In 1907 he sold out and became a Postmaster. He contributed much to civic affairs being mayor for several years.
Donald Graham is reported as being one of the men who took part in the Cypress Hills Massacre in 1865.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaning on the Wind, p. 59.
Frederik Graham, born in Cobourg, Ontario, came with his father William in 1886 to Morleyville where he worked on the family ranch. He later owned the ranch and purchased the Luxton Trading Co. He and his brother Harry had a store on the Red Deer River, ten miles east of Coal Camp. He married Jean McDougall in 1904 and gave up ranching to become assistant sheriff in Calgary. He contributed much to the social and economic life in the city and was on of the first members of Central United Church.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 115.
Samuel Graham, a butcher, arrived in Calgary from Birtle, Manitoba in April, 1884.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files & SAPD Black Book.
William Graham Sr. was secretary of the Methodist Church at Coburg, Ontario, an office which put him in touch with the McDougalls of Morleyville. William Graham came to the Morleyville area with his wife and four sons (John, Fred, William and Harry) in 1886. He settled on lot 9 and probably homesteaded in the area. His son, William Jr. homesteaded in Botterel and another son John homesteaded in Ghost River country. Fred and Harry operated Trading Posts in the vicinity. His first wife was Clara Hardisty, second wife was Lily McDougall. William died at Kamloops, B.C., in 1942. After Wm. Sr. died his son Harry ran the ranch awhile before taking over the place on the Red Deer River. His son Frederick eventually became owner of the ranch at Morleyville.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 115.
In 1884 Archibald Grant was a fireman at No.1 firehall at Calgary. He was a partner in the firm of Rogers and Grant Hardware in 1885 and a city councillor in 1889.
Donald Grant known as "The man from Glengarry", was in charge of a track laying crew in 1883 that laid a record eight miles of track in one day.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 24.
James Grant was married at Calgary in 1883 to Jane Coutts, who was born in 1860 at Elgin, Scotland and died at Calgary in 1936. He was born at Farres, Scotland in 1862 and died at Calgary in 1906. Children were Penelope and Elsie Agnes.
Grant, James Alexander
Mr. Grant was born at Ottawa, Ontario and died in 1935 at Fort Macleod. In 1895 at Fort Macleod, he married Margaret Dougherty, who was born in 1878 at Fort Garry, Manitoba and died in 1904 at Fort Macleod. They had four children. He was in the NWMP from 1878 to 1881; he then ranched in the North Fork and Mud Lake districts. He worked for Indian Affairs and did much draying and hauling.
Grant, John A.
John A. Grant was a rancher at Black Diamond in 1888.
Grant, Rev. John Peter
Rev. John and Mrs. Grant came to Pincher Creek in 1887. He was born in 1854 at Metcalfe, Ontario and died at Webb, Saskatchewan in 1923. At Ottawa, Ontario in 1883 he married Elizabeth Ewart Eadie, who was born there in 1856 and died at Calgary in 1944. The children were; William, twins Kenneth and Jessie, John and Irene. John Peter Grant graduated from Knox Presbyterian College in 1884. He preached in Ontario and Quebec prior to coming west by rail and stage coach to Pincher Creek. While at Pincher Creek he preached to the railroad workers in box cars. In 1898 he moved to Maple Creek, Saskatchewan for the next ten years, followed by fifteen years during which he organized Mission fields throughout Saskatchewan.
Grant-Mackay, Walter James
Mr. Grant-Mackay was born in Scotland in 1870 and died in 1966 at Calgary. In 1902 in Ontario he married Millicent Duncan, who was born there and died at Calgary in 1939. They had one son, John Alexander Grant-Mackay, born in 1904 and died in 1957. John's wife, Mildred Jane (Appleton) Grant-Mackay was born in 1908 and passed away summer 2004 in Ambler, PA. [updated Aug 2005 by Jane M. Grant-Mackay]
Grasse, Peter Lewis
Peter Grasse and his wife, Eleanor, came to Calgary in 1887. He was a Bailiff and later was farm instructor at several of the Indian Reservations. From 1898 to 1908 he was Massey Harris agent and had a feed business at Innisfail. Later he came back to Calgary as a homestead appraiser. Peter Grasse was born in 1859 at Whitby, Ontario and died in 1940 at Sidney, B.C. He was married in 1880 at Whitby to Eleanor McCullough, who was born in 1862 at Columbus, Ontario and died at Victoria, B.C., in 1946. They had one daughter.
Graves, Howard Douglas
Mr. Graves arrived in Calgary in 1884. He was married in 1860 at Anagance, N.B., to Caroline Constantine, who died in 1913 at Vancouver, B.C. Mr. Graves died at Calgary in 1910. They had five daughters and one son.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Graves, Ida Allan
Ida Graves arrived in Calgary on July 13, 1888.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Allan Dextor Graves.
Gray, Dan & Phyllip
Dan came west to Fort Macleod prior to his brother Phyllip who arrived in 1887 where they started a painting and paper hanging business. They moved to Pincher Creek in 1890 and continued in this line of work. Phyllip married Annie May Marcellus in 1893 and they lived on the Ives Ranch. They then filed for and moved to their own homestead west of town. They had two children and eventually retired in Pincher Creek in 1910.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 48.
David Gray came to Olds in 1889.
Donald Gray was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1861. He came to Calgary in 1880 at twenty-one years of age as a member of a Federal Government group sent west to assist in issuing rations to members of the Blackfoot Reserve. In 1884, in partnership with Mr. Boyd, they raised sheep on the Sheep Creek. In 1886 he took over sole ownership of the ranch (S 1/2-21-1-W5th) five and one-half miles west of Okotoks and started raising cattle which he prospered in for fifty years. In 1888 at Calgary he married Annie McRae, who was born in 1853 at Goderich, Ontario. She had come to Okotoks with her parents in 1887. They had one son and two daughters. The Grays operated the Panina Post Office for several years, until its closure in 1903, as well as doing custom black smithing. They had an auction sale in 1917 but didn't sell the land until 1920. Annie died at Victoria, B.C. in 1929 and Donald died in 1943 at Calgary.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
James Gray came to Medicine Hat in 1889.
Gray, William Brighton
William Gray, came to Calgary in 1883. He was born in 1852 in Yorkshire, England. In 1893 he was married to Maggie McMullen (a granddaughter of Red Crow, Blood Indian Chief). They had five children; Violet, Daisy, Emanuel, Nellie and Joseph. Mr. Gray was educated in Yorkshire, worked for six years in the Bank of England, served two years with the British Navy. He was a cowboy, rancher and farmer and was one of the first settlers on Willow Creek. In 1906 he was appointed Dominion Land Agent at Stettler, Register of Vital Statistics, and was Town clerk for two years as well as being Justice of the Peace.
Charles Grayson was born at Yorkshire, England in 1870 and died at Lethbridge in 1950. He came from England to Cochrane in 1886. In 1902 at Cochrane he married Blanche A. Bruce, who was born in 1881 at Summerside, P.E.I., and died at Cochrane in 1907. The children were Gordon, Dorothy and L. Stuart. He worked as a ranch hand at Cochrane and later was employed in the C.W. Fisher store at Cochrane. He was a homestead inspector for Southern Alberta. Later he worked for the Union Bank of Canada and was an insurance agent. Many years later he was the Imperial Oil agent at Cochrane, finally retiring to Calgary.
Green, Ebenizer W.
Mr. and Mrs. Green came to Penhold in 1886. They were married at Tiffield, England in 1881. Ebenizer was born there and died at Penhold in 1931. Mary (Williams) Green was also born in England and died at Penhold in 1895. Their children were; Sidney, Dora, Etta and Rebecca.
Hans Green, was an employee at Eau Claire Lumber Company and came to Calgary in 1886 from Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Green, Thomas & Ann
Thomas and his wife Ann Green arrived in Medicine Hat from Ontario with their daughter, son-in-law and grandson (Cavanahs named Sarah Evaline, John Henry, and N. Henry Joseph receptively) in 1882. In 1886 Mrs. Green conducted church services as well as playing the melodeon for the congregation prior to the building of the St. Barnabas Church.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Cavanah Family History SAPD Black Books.
Green, Thomas D.
Thomas D. Green, came to Calgary in 1886. He was born at Paxton, England and died at Vancouver, B.C., in 1912. He married Rebecca, who died in 1909 at Vancouver. They had a family of three children. He homesteaded the W 1/2-34-36-28-W4th. In 1901, he sold his property and went to live with his son. He was a Dominion and Alberta land surveyor.
Elizabeth Greenfield came to the Davisburg district in 1886. She was born at Meaford, Ontario and died at Red Deer in 1935. She married Edward Roland Hill, who had come to Calgary in 1884. He was born in England in 1855 and died in 1926 at Red Deer. She lived with her brother John and his wife Martha in the Davisburg district. She ran cattle there.
John Greenfield came to the Davisburg district in the 1880's. He died in 1925. He married Martha; they had one daughter, Annie. His brand was registered in the Brand Book in 1888.
Mr. and Mrs Greenwood were born in Nova Scotia and came to Fort Macleod in 1882. He entered the employ of the North West Coal Navigation as chief accountant. The family moved to Lethbridge in 1885 where a house was built for them. Mr. Greenwood served on the first school board as secretary. They lived in Lethbridge until 1900 when they moved to Edmonton. One of their daughters married a former premier of Alberta, the Honorable Herbert Greenfield.
Greer, Albert Alexander
Albert Greer, came to Calgary in 1885. He was born at Port Elgin, Ontario in 1864 and died at Los Angeles, California, in 1932. In 1892 at Calgary he married Mary Avis Bolton, who was born at Guelph, Ontario in 1876 and died at Okotoks in 1902. They had seven children in their family.
Greer, Christopher Whitton
Christopher Whitton Greer came to Calgary in 1885. He worked for the C.P.R. He was born in Peel County, Ontario in 1852 and died in 1945 at Kamloops, B.C. He was married in 1888 at Calgary to Mary MacLean, who was born in 1856 in Bruce County, Ontario and died in 1939 at Kamloops. Their children were: Herbert, Edwin, Christopher Wilbur and Eva. In 1905 Christopher, Mary and family gave up farming. He took his wagon and sewing machine and moved to Nicola Valley in B. C. They started a bakery and were very successful. They did not return to Calgary.
Greer, Edgerton Green
Edgerton Greer came to Calgary in 1882. He was born at Port Elgin, Ontario in 1859 and died at Calgary in 1941. He was married in 1886 to Mary Jane McLennan, who was born in Ontario and died at Vancouver, B.C., in 1938. They had five children. Mr. Greer first worked for the C.P.R., and later was in the construction business.
Gregson, John Stevenson
John Gregson homesteaded in the Cardston district in 1889. He was married in England in 1858 to Rosanna Sinnot, who was born there in 1838 and died at Cardston in 1943. They had twelve children, four of whom died in infancy. All of the children were born in England. He was born in 1836 at Penwortham, England and died in 1911 at Cardston.
Douglas Gregson came to Calgary in 1885. He was a remittance man type, who was the first settler in the Burbank district of Red Deer. He was born at Westham, England in 1864 and died at Courtney, B.C., in 1936. At Red Deer in 1906 he married Effie Elizabeth Kellaway. They had one son, Jack. He was an expert photographer and trapper. He is alleged to have collected fleas which he sold to a customer in England. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1897. He moved to Courtney, B.C., in 1923.
Mr. Greig came to Calgary in 1890. He worked for the C.P.R. Later he worked at the Flying E Ranch as well as for the Hull Brothers at Midnapore. From 1896 to 1897 he was foreman of the A7 Ranch. In 1899 he worked for Norish, and in 1901 homesteaded on Nanton Creek. In 1930 he turned over his land to his brother Billie. Mr. Greig was a single man.
Octavius Greig came to High River in 1886. He was born in Surrey, England and was also married there. He had no children. He came from England with imported purebred Hereford cattle establishing the Paleface Ranch. He stayed one and a half years and turned his ranch over to his younger brother Ronnie and he went to China to engage in the tea trade in the 1890's. A sister Raechel came out from England to keep house for Ronnie. She in turn married John George Crawford. Her daughter Raechel operated Flicker Valley Ranch at Priddis.
Mr. E. Grenier is recorded as having filed for homsteader land in 1888.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.
Thomas Grey, born at Sheffield, England on July 14, 1873 came to Calgary in 1890.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Mr. Gridley in 1885, as part of Haines & Gridley, purported he was one of the leading photographers in Calgary. The firms "Mona Gallery" was located on Atlantic avenue, opposite the CPR station.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources, 1885.
Curren Grier came to Fort Macleod in 1882. He was born at Griersville, Ontario in 1861. He was married in 1885 at Wiarton, Ontario to Almira Westef, who was born there and died in 1919 at Fort Macleod. They had two children; Ashley and Nina. Curren homesteaded and pre-empted land with his brother David. He farmed and ranched until 1906, then went into sheep raising on a large scale on Willow Creek. He was there for over forty years.
Grier, David Johnson
David Grier came to Fort Macleod with the NWMP in 1877. He was born at Griersville, Ontario in 1857 and died at Fort Macleod in 1935. At Wiarton, Ontario in 1883 he married Laura Jones, who was born in Ontario and died in 1905 at Fort Macleod. His second wife was Clara Constance Bingham, who was born at Pilsley, England and died in 1960 at Victoria, B.C. He married Clara at Revelstoke, B.C., in 1910. He had four sons from the first marriage and three daughters and one son from the second marriage. David served in the NWMP for three years at Fort Macleod. After his discharge he engaged in the service of the Indian farming six miles from town. He took an active part in Fort Macleod politics, construction and assisted in the organization of the newspaper - The Spectator.
James Grier emigrated to Canada at eighteen years of age. He purchased land and farmed in St. Vincent County, Ontario for twenty five years then moved to Wiarton, Ontario and to Fort Macleod in 1883 remaining and farming until his death in 1918. He was born at Londonderry, Ireland in 1820. In 1851 at Griersville, Ontario he married Mary Johnson, who was born in Ireland in 1831 and died at Fort Macleod in 1918. They had seven children.
Grier, James Patton
James Patton Grier came to Fort Macleod in 1885. He was born in 1860 in Ontario and died in 1916 at Lethbridge. In 1895 at Butte, Montana, he married Sarah Donnley, who was born in England and died in 1917 at Rochester, Minnesota. They had five daughters and three sons. James Patton Grier was a brother to David J. and Curren.
William Grier was an old prospector living at Morleyville in 1884 when he accompanied a geologist, Professor A. P. Coleman, on an exploration survey of the Rocky Mountains extending from Lake Louise to Morley. He married Pricilla Chantler, a Quaker from England. They had two daughters. He died in 1895.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 103.
James Grierson, born in Scotland in 1820, married Elizabeth MacMillan in 1843 and had twelve children. He is the Father of James O.A. Hedley Grierson. They came west to Alberta in 1883 and in 1884 some members of the family were living in the Pine Creek and DeWinton areas. James died in 1903 at DeWinton.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.
Grierson, James Hedley
James Grierson, born March 7, 1854 was a lineman for the CPR when he was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885. He married Miss Caroline Amanda Bredin on August 29,1888. In 1908 he moved to Edmonton to become Constuction Superintendent of the Provincial Telephones Co. He died April 1, 1924 and was buried in the Union Cemetery. His wife Caroline, born April 13, 1864, died in April 13, 1952.
Grierson, James O.A. Hedley
Mr. Grierson came to Calgary in 1883. He ran the Grierson Post Office, four miles southwest of DeWinton. He was born in 1857 at Aurora, Ontario and died in 1942 at Lacombe. In 1892 at DeWinton he married Isobel Galloway, who was born in 1876 at Brandon, Manitoba and died in 1940 at DeWinton. They had five sons and one daughter. He was Secretary-Treasurer of Melrose School District, and Councillor for Sheep Creek District. He moved to Ponoka in 1910 where he was secretary for Elkhorn S.D., and councillor for Fertile Valley district. He also farmed and ranched.
Emil Griesbach worked in the construction of the C.P.R., at Gleichen in 1883. He operated the first lumber yard there, then ran a general store from 1889 until 1907. He was born in 1855 at Saxony, Germany and died in 1939 at Gleichen. He married Ida Kirstein and they had one daughter who died quite young. Mr. Griesbach was manager of Revelstoke Lumber in 1908. A colonizer, he located many settlers in the Didsbury area. His brand was BBC registered in his wife's name.
John Grisak was fourteen when he arrived at Lethbridge in 1884. His wife, Anna was only nine years old when she came to Lethbridge in 1888. They lived in the area all of their lives. John was born at Nizni, Slovakia in 1870 and died in 1947 at Lethbridge. He was married to Anna Olshaski in 1896 at Lethbridge. She was born in 1879 at Nizni, Slovakia and died at Lethbridge in 1965. They had five sons and four daughters. A son and daughter died in infancy.
Grogan, Anthony Medlicott
Anthony Grogan was born in 1867 at Cheltenham England and died in 1953 at Vancouver, B.C. He served with the NWMP from 1888 until 1893 at Calgary. He was married in 1902 at Calgary to Miriam Caroline, who was born in 1879 at Port au Spain, Trinidad and died in 1931 at Calgary. They had two sons and one daughter.
Grogan, George Edward (Ted)
Ted Grogan is reported to be a Calgary newspaper editor in 1885. He was also a Sergeant in the NWMP (Reg. No. 459). Ted was Born July 31, 1857 in Cromer, Norfolk, England and was the Brother of Anthony Medlicott Grogan. He married Kathleen Pagerie Tascher de Perche, born 1871 in Quebec. They had two children (Helen Aimee, Kathleen Sara). They moved to Victoria in 1910 where Kathleen died November 12 1937 and Ted returned to Calgary prior to his death on December 19, 1939.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald, Sept. 06, 1958. Alberta Newspapers, 1880-1982: An Historical Directory. Additional research by JFR.
John Gudmundson came to Calgary in 1888. He was born in Iceland in 1863 and died at Calgary in 1948. In 1896 at Calgary he was married to Jonina Gudrunsdotter, who was born in Iceland in 1859 and died at Calgary in 1924. They had three children.
Alexander Guitard, born in Montreal in 1849, came west in 1884 with a carload of horses for the Waldron ranch. He joined the CPR construction crew for a time and then left to raise cattle and horses. He and his family moved to Cowley in 1900. He rented a Grasmere Ranch in 1905 for six years then moved back to Bull Camp on the Four Fork where they farmed and wintered 250 head of cattle. They bought a place in The Gap in 1915, however Alexander died the next year. Mrs. Guitard moved to Carstairs in 1918 and died in Lundbreck in 1935.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 322.
Mr. Gunn is recorded to have been an early rancher in 1884, in the Walsh area.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country.
Gunn, Henry Aitken (Harry)
Harry Gunn came to the Pincher Creek district in 1890. He homesteaded at Livingstone and retired from ranching in 1937. He was born at Montreal, Quebec in 1874 and died in 1968 at Pincher Creek. At Lundbreck in 1908 he married Edith Kirkpatrick Burn, who was born in 1880 at Stratford, Ontario and died in 1969 at Lethbridge. They had two children.
Gunn, William (Billie)
Son of former Mrs. H. G. Nash. His brothers were Harry and Hugh. Settled at Pincher Creek in the 1880's.
In the 1880's it was reported that: Mr. Guoin bagged two sand hill cranes, a beaver, an owl, a jack rabbit and forty five chickens the other day.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald, July 08, 1950.
Thomas Guy, came to Calgary in 1890.