Pioneer Profiles : K
Fred Kanouse traded with Canadian Indians before the arrival of the North West Mounted Police. He ranged cattle in the Fort Macleod district in 1877, and was said to have some knowledge of medicine. He lived in Fort Macleod for many years, then moved to Pincher Creek and later to the United States where he died in 1920. There is no record of marriage.
Harry Kauntz, probably the first resident of Granum, was a whiskey trader that was shut down by the Mounties in 1875.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leavings by Trail Granum by Rail.
Mr. Kavanaugh of Archibald and Kavanaugh ran one of the first stores in Medicine Hat.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 33-38.
Sir John Kaye headed the Canadian Agriculture Coal and Colonization Co. that negotiated and purchased in 1888-89 the Canadian 76 (Powder River) ranch. Three townships of the leased land had been cancelled, but Kaye had been gradually moving cattle out to other Kaye ranches and farms. When Kaye got into financial trouble, a wagon boss, D.H. Andrews obtained financial backing and he bought the outfit outright.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 455.
John Kean came to the Fort Macleod district in 1879 to build sawmills for the government. One of the earliest was Mountain Mill. He later worked for the CPR, then about 1883 he went to work for the Northwest Coal and Navigation Ltd. in Lethbridge. He later operated sawmills in the Porcupine Hills and Lethbridge.
Dan Keefe came to Southern Alberta prior to 1890.
In the summer of 1884 the CPR erected a section house at Siding 29, Dave Keefe, engineer for a work train, started a hotel. Also that year Hon. Thomas White, Minister of the Interior, emerged victorious in the competition for the rights to the hot springs which became national property. Dave Keefe built a raft at a point opposite the Hot Springs for the use by mainly local people. From the river the route lay across the marsh and it is reported that Keefe did a profitable business by renting rubber boots for that crossing.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Banff Crag & Canyon, p. 7, 1935.
Jas Kelly was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.
Ada Hinton was born in 1882 in England and came to Pincher Creek with her parents in 1887. She died in 1975. She married Arthur Kemmis in 1902. He was born in Ireland and came to Canada in 1896 and worked in the R. B. Bennett law firm in Calgary. They had two daughters. Ada Kemmis built the Kilmorey Lodge in Waterton in 1926 and ran it as a summer lodge. In 1932 she moved permanently to Waterton and in 1938 built a second lodge.
Born at Ootie-Camund, India, John Kemmis died at Calgary in 1942. In 1896 at Bath, England, he married Maude Mary Elton, who was born in 1871 at Lucknow, India and died at Calgary in 1962. They had two daughters. John Kemmis was at Livingstone in 1885.
Born in 1860 in Carleton County, Ontario, William Kemp was married in 1897 to Katie J. Lundy. They had four children. William Kemp homesteaded and farmed from 1882 to 1892. He then moved to Innisfail, where he operated livery stables and later an implement business which he still held in 1912. He was a member of the Town Council at Red Deer when it was formed. He was in Manitoba in 1879 before coming to Red Deer. Mr. Kemp settled at Red Deer Crossing when it was reported some 30 people were residents there.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: The Homesteads That Nutured a City.
James Kennedy, who had been a land surveyor, came from Montana with a cattle drive the Cochrane Ranch in 1881. He initially managed the A.P. Patrick's cattle and later in the 1880s he started the Dog Pound Creek Ranch, later called the Botterel Ranch. In 1890, he Kennedy moved to Sec.2-29-4-W5M, which he later sold in 1898 and returned to the US.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 15 & Big Hill Country, p.89
Born in 1858 at Dundas, Ontario and died at Fort Macleod in 1913. He was married in 1883 to Alice Maude Allen. They had two children, a daughter and son. After graduating from the University of Toronto Medical School he came to Fort Macleod in 1878. He was appointed Surgeon for the N.W.M.P. and held this position until 1889. He then went into private practice. Dr. Kennedy was the first inspector of hospitals in the N.W.T. from 1879-1905. He organized and was president of the N.W.T. Medical Association 1889-1891; President of the College of Physicians 1907-1908; Surgeon for the C.P.R. 1897; member of Senate of University of Alberta for two years and then Governor in 1911. Dr. Kennedy was a charter member of the Masonic Alberta Lodge No. 3, 1886, at Fort Macleod.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
Born in 1843 in County Cork, Ireland, Dick Kennefick married in Ireland. His wife's maiden name was Sick. They had no family. Dick Kennefick came to Springfield, Mass. in 1847. In 1856 he went to the California Gold Fields. In 1866 he moved to Montana, still prospecting. He moved north in 1876 and prospected near Fort Macleod, then settled down to work as a blacksmith. He later built and operated livery stables.
Born in Kent, England in 1869, Robert Kenneth married Martha Agnes Palmer in 1905 in Edmonton. There is no record of children. At age fourteen, Robert Kenneth went to sea on an Australian freighter. In 1890 he left the sea and came to Calgary. He founded the Calgary Tent and Mattress Co. which he ran for ten years, and also a hardware which he sold to Comer and Shaw. He operated a branch of the Calgary Tent and Mattress Co. in Edmonton, and about 1898 he sold the Calgary company and moved to Edmonton where he devoted himself to that branch.
Fred Kenny was the chief telegraph operator at Lethbridge and worked at Whitewood and at Lethbridge in 1885.
Born in Virginia, U.S.A in 1856, William Kerfoot died at Calgary in 1908. In 1885, near Calgary, he married Adrianna Bell-Irving, who was born in Scotland in 1862 and died at Calgary in 1925. They had six children. William Kerfoot served as resident manager at the Cochrane Ranch from 1883. He later homesteaded in Grand Valley, northwest of Cochrane.
Born at Picton, Ontario in 1862, David Kerr died at Calgary in 1926. In 1902 at Calgary he married Hannah Jane Pepper, who was born in 1865 at Watford, Ontario and died in Calgary in 1957. Hannah came with her mother to the Springbank district in 1885. They had two children. David Kerr came to Calgary in 1887 with the I. G. Baker Co., and later worked with the Hudson Bay Company as manager of the grocery and liquor departments.
Born in 1841 at Clarence, Ontario, Isaac Kerr was married to Clara E. Seaman at Clinton, Iowa in 1881. They had two sons. Mr. Kerr came to Calgary in 1883 to examine timber limits owned by a syndicate of which he was a member. As a result, The Eau Claire & Bow River Lumber Co. was formed in 1886, with the sawmill located on the Bow River. In 1889 an electric light plant was built with Mr. Kerr as president, and in 1900 he bought out the Calgary Milling Co. Under his tenure, the output of the mill increased to 1200 barrels of flour daily. He was also president of the Calgary Natural Gas Co.
Born in 1861 at Chatham, Ontario, John Kerr died in 1939 at Calgary. He was married at St. Thomas, Ontario in 1884 to Jessie Jane Tarrant, who was born there in 1861 and died in Calgary in 1938. They had three children. John Kerr was in Calgary in 1886.
Born in 1861 at Megantic, P.Q., Robert Kerr died in 1900 at Honings Sprint, Africa. Robert Kerr went to the South African War in January of 1900 and was killed in action there. He was in Pincher Creek in 1887.
Born in 1851 at Ottawa, Ontario, Charles Kettles died in 1923 at Pincher Creek. In 1883 at Ramseyville, Ontario he was married to Elizabeth Anderson who was born there in 1853 and died at Pincher Creek in 1932. They had four children. Charles Kettles travelled with the N.W.M.P. to Fort Macleod in 1876 and served with them until 1879. He was on duty at the signing of Treaty No.6. He helped build the police farm at Walsh and served as Indian Agent from 1879-1882. He returned to the east for his marriage and then ranched at Pincher Creek from 1883. He laid out the townsite of Pincher Creek and was in partnership with Timothy Lebel in a store. He took a great interest in civic affairs and served on the school board, Board of Trade, etc. He retired in 1906.
Alexander Kettleson came to Calgary in 1885. He was born at Dundee, Scotland in 1840 and died at Calgary in 1917. He married Alice Campbell, who was born in 1844 at St. Heliers, Jersey Island and died at Haney, B.C. in 1936. As Calgary was the end of the rail he continued walking on the railroad right of way to Vancouver, however he didn't like it there, so he returned to Calgary on the train where he was met by his two sons, Fred and Adolph. Mrs. Kettleson came to Calgary in 1890 from Dundee with the rest of the members of the family, daughters Alice and Margaret and son Edward. The Kettleson family homesteaded at 14 Avenue and 1st Street S.W. where the Noble Hotel once stood. Later they moved to the Mission district near 23 Avenue and 1 Street S.W. Alexander established the first candy store in Calgary. It was on Stephen Avenue (8th Ave.) in the Norman Block. Mr. and Mrs. Kettleson and family were active members of the Pro Cathedral Anglican Church.
Submitted by Frances Watson.
Born in 1845 in Co. Louth, Ireland, Sam Kieran died at Midnapore in 1938. At Limerick, Ireland he married Mary Theresa (surname unknown) who was born in Ireland and died there in 1883. They had four children. Sam came to Calgary in 1890 accompanied by his daughter, Molly, and homesteaded in the Pine Creek district. He had both horses and cattle on his ranch. An avid horseman, he was one of the founders of the Millarville Races in 1905. In 1919 he sold out to his son and went back to Ireland but soon returned to live out his years on his old ranch.
Born in 1860 at South Roxton, P.Q., Rufus Kimpton died in 1934 at Windermere, B.C. In 1887 at Donald, B.C. he was married to Celina Marguerite Bahan who was born in 1864 in Philadelphia, U.S.A. and died in 1942 in Windermere. They had two sons. Rufus Kimpton farmed in the Keoma district in 1883.
Augustus King, a rancher, came to the NWT on May 7, 1887.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Born in 1849 in Essex, England, Edward King died at Calgary in 1928. In 1872 at Brighton, England he was married to Martha Wilkinson who was born there in 1853 and died in Calgary in 1940. They had four children. Edward King was in Calgary in 1887 and was a charter member of the First Baptist Church in Calgary. He was a brother of George Cliff King of the N.W.M.P.
Born in 1847 in Essex, England, George King died in 1935 at Calgary. In 1879 at Calgary he was married to Louise Munroe, who was born in 1862 at St. Boniface, Manitoba and died in 1951 in Vancouver. They had five children. George King was a member of the March West of the N.W.M.P. As a member of Troop E, he helped establish Fort Calgary in 1874. Alter leaving the police force, he worked for the I. G. Baker store and later established a store of his own. He also became involved in other businesses, including a post office and trading post. He was Calgary's first postmaster, was an alderman for five years, and served as mayor of Calgary for two terms.
Mr. H. King arrived in Calgary in 1884.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Edith L. Trotter.
Born about 1833 in Perth, Scotland, King was the first Sheriff of the Judicial District of Eastern Assiniboia appointed from Mount Forest, Ontario. Shortly after his arrival in Moosomin he was transferred to the Judicial District of Northern Alberta as Sheriff at Calgary. Mr. King came to Southern Alberta prior to 1888. He never married and died in 1920. In his will he left his whole estate to build and maintain a home for deserving poor, both women and children. The YWCA Sheriff King Home still bears his name.
Additional research by JFR.
Walter King and William Lowther were hired by the Northwest Coal and Navigation Company to bring a portable sawmill via Fort Benton to Fort Macleod and then to set it up in the Porcupine Hills in 1882. Sir Alexander Galt and his son, Elliot Torrance Galt, shareholders and managers of NC&NCo., gave orders that the sawmill was to supply all lumber required to construct buildings and to develop their underground coal mine at Coalbanks. Once the mine was in operation their energy was turned to building a sternwheeler boat to be used to ship coal down the Oldman River to Medicine Hat.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Nineteenth Century Lethbridge, p. 22.
Mr. W. Kinisten was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885.
Born in 1859 at Huntington, P.Q., Charles Kinniburgh was educated there. After a stint of gold mining, he returned home to engage in the piano business. In 1889 he came west, then headed north to the Klondike gold rush, but by August he returned to Edmonton, sold his outfit and moved on to Calgary. In 1889 he opened up a business selling pianos and other musical instruments.
Fort Whoop-up in the 1870s was a gathering point for whiskey traders and an outpost with ties to Fort Benton in Montana. Joe Kipp, a son of an early Missouri trader, built Fort Stand-Off with Charles Thomas, located at the confluence of the Belly and Waterton Rivers. Fort Kipp built at the confluence of the Belly and Oldman Rivers was not fortified. In 1874, the NWMP under Col. James Macleod, built Fort Macleod and put an end to the whiskey traders.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Nineteenth Century Lethbridge, p. 11-12.
Mr. Kirby was employed by the G.C. King Emporium before 1885.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources March, 1885.
William Kirby arrived in Calgary in 1886. His son was the late Justice W.J.C. Kirby.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Harry Kirk was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1888.
Frank Kirkaldy first worked on the Oxley ranch, and then in 1888 and 1889 he was employed by Samson and Harford. He was an exceptionally good hand. He returned to Montana, married and settled down on the Assiniboine Reservation.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 20.
Born in Lanark Co., Ontario, Thomas Kirkham died in 1905 at Lethbridge. He was married at Winnipeg, Manitoba to Martha Lougheed. They had three sons. The Kirkhams moved to Lethbridge in 1885, where he became prominent in civic, community and pioneer affairs.
Researched by Dora Armstrong.
Mr. and Mrs. Otto Kirstein Sr. and son Paul came from Pozen, Poland in 1881. They first farmed at Regina, then moved to Gleichen and developed a homestead in 1884. Their son married Mrs. Mary Fafferty. They lived with his parents until his father, Otto, bought land across the road, leaving Paul the homestead. In 1932 Paul moved to Ponoka for three years, and then on to Chedderville where he retired in 1944 and moved to Calgary. He died in 1954 and his wife in 1964. They had four sons and twin girls.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call p. 73.
Born in Germany in 1856, Sam Klapstein died in Edmonton about 1914. He was married to Rose Myers who came to Canada in 1878. She was born in London, England in 1862 and died in 1899. They had one daughter who was born at Dunmore Junction in 1885.
Born in 1864 at Port-au-Pique, Nova Scotia, Charles Knight died at Calgary in 1938. At Midnapore in 1888 he married Eliza Watson. There were no children. Charles Knight was an assistant to Dr. Dawson on the Geological Survey in 1881. He bought his release from the N.W.M.P. after serving during the Riel Rebellion. At one time he ran the High River blacksmith shop. He homesteaded and worked for the Calgary Cattle Co. as range buyer. Later, he founded a commission business, buying and selling land. He also founded a paint factory and had gas and oil interests.
Mary (Me)hetable McKeen Baily was born in York Co., N.B. in 1825, and married Dennis Francis Knight in 1864 in York Co. He was born in 1836 in England. The Knights came to Gleichen in 1888 and were joined by Frank Kilburn McKay, Mrs. Knight's grandson from a previous marriage. The Knights returned to New Brunswick in 1902, while Frank McKay homesteaded.in the Gleichen area.
Submitted by Mary Jane M Pogue.
Charles Knox, born in Newcastle, Ireland, came to west in 1883 to become a ranch hand on the Mount Head HL Ranch, which was owned by a family friend, Lord Castleton. In 1886, the HL was taken over by the Bar U, and Charles Knox started his own ranch. In 1888 he made the first shipment of live Albertan cattle to England. He left High River in 1899 to become the first brand inspector for the NWT in Winnipeg. In 1901 he resigned to enter the livestock commission business and a railway construction business in Winnipeg. He married to Ethel Fraser who died in 1936, Charles lived to be almost 92 years. They had two children, Cecil and Eileen.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.
Henry Kountz was a frontiersman, who came to Albert in 1871. He freighted with his own outfit between Fort Benton and the Blackfoot Reserve. With stakes high and luck against him he lost his outfit in a poker game. He decided to start afresh at the Leavings where he built a log house and corrals on an open flat near the winding creek. In 1882, he sold his squatters rights to the Oxley Ranching Co. and worked there for a while, then moved west where he located on a coal seam. Nothing came of this venture, but a nearby creek was named Kountz Creek.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 430.