Talbot, Senator Peter
Peter Talbot came West in 1890, to teach school, at Fort
Macleod. He was there for two years and then moved to Lacombe
and homesteaded, raising purebred cattle. Peter was born
in 1854 in Wellington Co., Ontario and died in 1919 at Lacombe,
Alberta. He was married at Guelph, Ontario, in 1879 to Clara
Card, who was born there in 1854 and died in 1947 at North
Vancouver, B.C. There were four children in the family.
Peter was President of the Purebred Cattle Breeders Association,
in 1901 and 1902. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly
of the Northwest Territories Government. In 1902 he was
elected as a member of Parliament for the Constituency of
Strathcona. In 1904, he was appointed to the Senate.
Taylor, Harry (Kamoose)
"Kamoose" built a Stopping place at Fort Macleod
in 1881. He was born in 1824 on the Isle of Wight, England
and died at Lethbridge, Alberta in 1901. He was a member
of the South West Cattle Association. He retired from the
Stopping place in 1892, to his farm.
Sykes Taylor was at Morley, Alberta in 1886. He was born
in 1868 at Yorkshire, England and died in 1936 at Cochrane,
Alberta. He was married at Morley in 1893 to Annie Maria
Smith. She was born in 1875 at Suffolk, England and died
in 1962 at Calgary, Alberta. There were eight children in
Mr. Tedford came west in the spring of 1888 and homesteaded
northwest of Cluney. A keen business man Jim made money
in Gleichen boom days. Tedford's were fortunate in having
a good water supply. They raised cattle. It cost next to
nothing to produce a full grown steer on free prairie grass
and good water. He retired in 1916 to live in Burnaby, BC.
Thew, George William
George Thew and his family were in Fort Macleod in 1885.
He was born in 1858 at Toronto, Ontario and died in 1930
at Fort Macleod , Alberta. George married Martha Weatherhog,
who was born in England in 1862 and died in 1920 at Peace
River, Alberta. They had three children.
Thiboutot, Felix A.
Felix farmed in the Pincher Creek area, in 1889, coming
in advance of his family, who came in 1891. He was born
in 1855 at Cacouna, Quebec and died in 1923 at Pincher Creek,
Alberta. He married Mary Ann Bellefleur, at Green River,
N.B., in 1881, who was born at Green River in 1857 and died
in 1913 at Pincher Creek. They had three children.
Thomas, Robert Cadigan
Thomas came to Calgary in 1881 and settled at the mouth
of Pine Creek, seventeen miles southeast of Calgary, for
ten years. He was born in 1862 at Bridgend, Glamorganshire,
South Wales, U.K and died in 1950 at Calgary, Alberta. In
1887 at Midnapore, Alberta he married Agnes Egerie Louise
Shaw, who was born in 1866/7 at Kent, England and died in
1947 at Calgary. They had four children. He moved into Calgary
to engage in the Thomas Ice and Fuel Co. Later he was in
Real Estate, erecting the Thomas and Cadogan blocks. He
was a City of Calgary Alderman in 1905.
Mr. Thompson arrived in Lethbridge in 1885.
David Thompson was born in Wales in 1770. His father died
when he was two, his mother placed him in a charity institution
called Grey Coat School. At age fourteen he joined the Hudson
Bay Co. as an apprentice and arrived in Churchill in 1784
and was under the governorship of Samuel Hearne. In 1788
he broke his leg and while recuperating he studied under
P. Turnor, the HBCs' surveyor where he learned map making
and became one of the best navigators and astronomers in
Canada. He married Charlotte Small who was part Cree and
raised a family of eleven children. In 1897 he left the
employ of the HBC and walked seventy five miles to the North
West Trading Co. at Reindeer River. He spent the next twenty
seven years in their employ. They spent the remaining years
of their lives in Quebec where David continued to make maps.
His view of Indians bordered on reverence. He blamed Europeans
for everything and every wrong committed in the New World.
The red man had a perfect balance until the fur traders
came and desecrated their natural paradise.
M.P. Thomson was in Calgary in 1885. He operated the Thomson
Bros. Books and Stationery store that opened in April 1884.
The Thomson family came to Gladys Ridge district in 1889,
where they homesteaded on the SE1/4 32-20-27-W5th. They
had emigrated to Ontario from Scotland in the early part
of 1880. William was born in 1829 at Buckhaven, Scotland
and died in 1894 at Gladys, Alberta. He was married in 1852
in Scotland to Elizabeth, who was born in Scotland in 1827
and died at Gladys, Alberta in 1918. They had three children.
William was killed falling from a haystack in 1894. Mrs.
Thomson remained on the farm until her death in 1918.
David Thorburn was at Calgary in 1882, as an Agent of
Eastern Investors. In 1885, he returned to settle on a homestead
NW 1/4 4-21-28-W4th, (Davisburg) which was named "Anchor
T" He fought in the Riel Rebellion. David was known
for his judging at large horse shows.
Thorburn, Captain William
William first arrived in Calgary in 1882 with his brother
David, as agents of eastern investors. He also returned
in 1885 and homesteaded at Davisburg, with his brother and
in conjunction with Ed. Quinn, they ran six hundred head
of sheep on the south side of the Highwood River. He later
moved to Pine Lake and ranched there until he retired to
Elnora, Alberta where he died in 1937. He had two sons with
his first wife (a Miss Ross). His second wife was Mrs.Rawlinson
and they had one daughter.
Mr. Thorlakson came by mixed human-cattle boat from Iceland
in 1887 and homesteaded SE 20-7-2-5. In 1888 he married
Gubjorg Bjornson. They had three children. Mr. Thorlakson
played an important part in the Hola district, building
the first school, organized the Markerville Tindastoll Butter
and Cheese Association, the Iceland Literary Society, Good
Templars Lodge and any community project.
Thorne, Wilfred Bevin
Wilfred Thorne came West in 1888 and was a cook at Lineham's
Lumber Camp in 1890-91. He was born in New Brunswick in
1848 and died at Aldersyde, Alberta in 1927. He was married
in Eastern Canada. His wife died there. They had three children.
Catherine Thornton was in Medicine Hat in 1886. She was
born at London, Ontario in 1858 and died in 1945 at Medicine
Hat. She was a spinster.
When John came West in 1888, he worked for Stimson at
the Bar U Ranch, then in 1889 bought a cabin at Pekisko,
on the "Old D Ranch". He was born in 1863 at Ellingham,
England and died in 1950 at High River, Alberta. In 1900
he worked for Aubrey Cartwright and in 1907 he entered into
full partnership with him. They bought the "D"
brand in 1909.
Thorpe, Bernt John
(see also detailed
Bernt Thorpe came to Calgary in 1886, with the Eau Claire
Lumber Co. Born at Frederikstad, Norway in 1855 and died
at Calgary, Alberta in 1931. He was married in Norway in
1876, at Borge Kirk,Frederikstad to Matea Olsen. She was
born in 1854 at Frederikstad and died in 1940 at Calgary.
They had eight children. Bernt came from Norway to New York,
USA in 1880, to work for John Prince at Porter's Lumber
Co. at Eau Claire, Wisconsin. His wife and a daughter came
to Eau Claire in 1880 and in 1887, the family followed Bernt
to Calgary. The Thorpe residence was moved to Heritage Park,
Tims, Archdeacon John William D.D.
Archdeacon John Tims, was at the Blackfoot Crossing, in
1883. He was sent to open a Mission amongst the Blackfoot
Indians, where he served to 1895. He was born at Oxford,
England in 1857 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1945. He
was married at Gleichen, Alberta in 1890, to Violet Winnifred
Wood, who was born in 1866 at London, England and died in
1945, at Calgary. They had three children. John was ordained
in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England in 1883. He then
went to the Sarcee Reserve, to serve for thirty-five years.
Archdeacon Tims held Pastorates at St. Peter's Glenmore
and St. Paul's at Midnapore, for an additional twelve years.
Topp, Frederick George
Frederick Topp came to Calgary in 1885. He and his wife,
Flora, had five children. Topp ran a Butcher Shop. He was
an Alderman in 1891 and a School Trustee in 1893-94. He
left Calgary in 1890's and died at Toronto, Ontario. He
was born in England in 1861.
Toshach, Christina Anderson
Christina had been orphaned in the East and came to an
Aunt, Mrs. J.C. McNeill, in 1889. She was born in 1871 at
St. Alemonte, Ontario and died in 1947 at Banff , Alberta.
She was married in 1897 at Calgary, to William Alexander,
who was born in 1870, at New Market,Ontario and died in
1955, at Calgary. Her husband, William, was an early Jeweller,
in Calgary in 1890.
Towers, Francis Harriman
Francis Towers was in Calgary in 1883. Born in 1850 at
Birmingham, England, he died at Vancouver,B.C. in 1936.
He was married at Toronto, Ontario to Elizabeth Glover,
who was born in 1855 on Gurnsey Island and died at Carstairs,
Alberta in 1940. They had seven children. In 1866, Francis
came to Canada, where he worked for a Dairy farm, then as
a Foreman of a crew laying rails for the C.P.R. between
Winnipeg, and Calgary. He was in Vancouver before coming
to Calgary in 1883. He was Foreman at Cheadle, Alberta when
the Riel Rebellion started. He later built up a herd of
cattle and took a homestead on NW 1/4 20-25-4-W5th.
Vincent Towers was at Cochrane in 1884 and Radnor in 1887.
He was born in England in 1858 and died at Victoria, B.C.
in 1936. He was married in England to Sarah Ketland, who
was born in England and died in 1909 at Canmore, Alberta.
They had a family of eight children.
Jeremiah Travis a recently appointed stependiary magistrate
was sent to Calgary to enforce the very unpopular liquor
law in 1885. In November 1885 he sentenced a local saloon
keeper and town councilor, Simon John Clark to six months
in jail. Shortly after he jailed Hugh Cayley, editor of
the Calgary Herald for making comments in the press. In
a final act of dubious legal merit, Travis disqualified
the recently elected mayor and town council from holding
office. In 1886 there was an absence of civic government
as the officials installed by Magistrate Travis were unable
to find any of the pertinent records. A civic delegation
was sent to Ottawa and Travis was suspended and later superannuated.
Travis returned to Calgary in retirement and became one
of the town's best know citizens. He died in 1909. He had
William and his wife Lucy came to Calgary in 1889. He was
born at Cornwall, England in 1865 and died at Victoria in
1936. He was married at Cornwall in 1888 to Lucy Ann Genn,
who was born at Falmouth, England in 1865 and died at Victoria,
B.C. in 1928. They had four children.
Trimble, Andrew Hill
Andrew was five miles south of Calgary, for eighteen months
before going to Red Deer, in 1889. He organized the Red
Deer Dairy Products Co. Andrew was born in 1846 at Carlton,
Ontario and died at Red Deer, Alberta in 1936. He was married
in Ontario in 1871 to Cynthia Ann Wright, who was born in
Ontario and died there in 1887. His second marriage was
to Lidia, who died in 1909. There were thirteen children.
Trivett, Rev. Samuel
In 1881, Rev. Samuel Trivett, went to the Blood Reserve,
Fort Macleod, as an Anglican Missionary. He was born in
England in 1852. Samuel was ordained in 1878 by the Bishop
of Saskatchewan. He homesteaded on Big Island just off the
Reserve. Rev. Samuel Trivett, accompanied Archdeacon Tims
to the Blackfoot Crossing, in 1883. He opened the first
Pincher Creek, Anglican Church, in 1884. He had two sons.
Trott Brothers Drug Store, was on Stephen Avenue, Calgary,
in 1885. Samuel was born in 1847 and died in 1891 at Calgary.
He married Elizabeth J.
John was in Medicine Hat, in 1885. He was born in 1863
at Sawbridge, England and died in 1915 at Taber, Alberta.
He was married at Calgary, Alberta, in 1891 to Edith Maude
Walker, who was born at Hull, England in 1869 and died at
Victoria, B.C. in 1954. They had six children. John worked
for I.G. Baker and the Hudson Bay Co., at Fort Macleod,
Alberta. He moved to Wetaskiwin and later to Lethbridge,
finally to Taber, to operate a General Store. He was the
first Mayor of Taber in 1907.
Andrew and his wife, Mary Jane came to Calgary in 1880.
Andrew was born at Teeswater, Ontario in 1841 and died at
Banff, Alberta. He married Mary Jane Hall, who was born
in 1851 in New Brunswick and died at Banff , Alberta. They
had three children.
Turner, Rev. James
The first resident Pastor of the Methodist Church in Calgary,
Alberta, in 1883.
James Turner arrived at Calgary in 1886. He was born in
Scotland. He homesteaded SW 1/4 10-21-3-W5th, in the Millarville
district, in 1887. In 1896, he acquired land south of Calgary,
which it is claimed gave the name to Turner Siding. This
is now the Haysboro district of Calgary. The name of Turner
Siding is also claimed by his cousin, John A Turner. James
was a brother of Robert Turner and cousin of John A Turner
and Peter Turner-Bone.
Turner, John A.
John Turner came to Calgary in 1886. Born in 1867 in Scotland,
he died in 1935. John was married in 1895 to Wilhelmina
(Minnie) Dawson. They had four children. With his cousins
Bryce Wright and Peter Turner-Bone, he established the Ailsa
(Al) Ranch at Turner Valley. He later established his own
ranch "Balbreggan Stock Farm", east of the Sarcee
Reserve, on the Elbow River. He raised Clydesdale horses,
Shorthorn cattle and Pedigreed Shropshire sheep. His extensive
shipments through Turner Siding was probably the cause of
its name. John was President and a member of the Board of
Directors of the Horse and Cattle Breeders Association of
Alberta, for a number of years.
Turner, John Henry
Mr. Turner arrived in Calgary in 1890. He had three children;
John, Albert and Harry.
Robert and his brother James, joined their cousin, John
A. Turner, at Calgary, Alberta in 1886. Robert was born
in Scotland in 1861 and died in 1951 at Vancouver, B.C.
In 1888 at Montreal, Quebec he married Catherine (Kate)
Gardiner Dawson, who was born in 1861 in Scotland and died
in 1963 at Vancouver, B.C. They had one child. Robert homesteaded
the SE 1/4 10-21-3-W5th. He also had a number of other quarter
sections in the same area. He raised Clydesdale horses,
Shorthorn cattle and Sheep. He was a Gazetted Captain of
the 15th Light Horse, in 1905.
Peter was at Medicine Hat and Calgary in 1883. He was
born in Scotland in 1859 and died at Calgary, Alberta in
1945. In 1892, in Scotland , he married Elizabeth Lusk Allan.
She was born in Scotland in 1866 and died at Calgary in
1929. They had two children. Peter was a C.P.R. Surveyor
and worked for them from 1883 to 1886. With his cousins,
the Turner Brothers and Bryce Wright, he established the
"Ailsa" ranch at Turner Valley. He also worked
as a Surveyor on the Calgary to Edmonton rail line, and
was an Engineer on the C.P.R. irrigation projects. Author
of "When The Steel Went Through".
Thomas Tweed arrived in Medicine Hat in 1883. He married
Helen Sutherland and they had one child. Thomas was a partner
in the firm of Tweed and Ewart, at Medicine Hat, Alberta.
In 1888, he was elected by acclaimation to the N.W. Territorial
Assembly. He was Head Table Guest at a reception for the
Hon. Lt.. Gov. Edgar Dewdney, at Calgary in 1888.
Tyrrell, Joseph Burr
Joseph Tyrrell came west in 1883 with the Canadian Geological
Survey who were mapping and exploring the western territories.
He explored the Crowsnest Pass area, west to the Rogers
Pass and then east where he came to the badlands. He was
an expert revolver shot and once accepted a wager, saying
that he could shoot 12 rabbits in succession while sitting
on his saddle horse. He won and shot the thirteenth to emphasize
his skill. On June 9, 1884 while working in the Red Deer
River valley he saw a strange looking brown hump on the
hillside. On his knees he began to dig out what he soon
saw to be a fossilized bone. This was the first discovery
of the Alberta dinosaur remains. A month later July 4, 1884
he made another startling discovery, which he described
this way. He had turned to look up the valley and saw "a
great ugly face with rows of ugly spikelike teeth",
staring at him. Underneath the skull was a complete skeleton
which was the first found in the valley.